• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 3:44:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: University of the People ?  (Read 20679 times)
drannmaria

« on: May 05, 2011, 9:27:29 PM »

Is anyone familiar with University of the People? A tuition-free university sounds like a great idea. I do volunteer a few hours a week with local schools and I thought I could donate some time to this organization.

However, I could not find their faculty listed anywhere on their site and that threw me a little bit. I looked at the course descriptions for my field (statistics) and they were adequate. Nothing new but nothing wrong, either.

Obviously, searching the forum brought up a ton of irrelevant hits with the words "university" and "people", so if there has been a prior discussion someone could direct me to, it would be appreciated.
uopeople123

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »

Hello Drannmaria,

I work with the University. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at communications@uopeople.org

You may find our deans and academic leadership here: http://www.uopeople.org/groups/leadership
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 4:41:56 PM »

It looks like the university is editing its own Wikipedia page, which sets of a few alarm bells for me. And I see that it is not accredited: "The University is in the process of preparing the necessary materials to apply for accreditation from an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education."

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 5:33:30 PM »

This sounds like The University without Walls (Los Angeles).  My boss in a counseling agency pretended to have a "PhD" from there.  We all snickered when he left the room.  He was a Soko Gokai Buddhist and probably chanted for it.

Taste o' the Sixties
chicago_48

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 3:28:20 AM »

This sounds like The University without Walls (Los Angeles).  My boss in a counseling agency pretended to have a "PhD" from there.  We all snickered when he left the room.  He was a Soko Gokai Buddhist and probably chanted for it.
Found this forum.  Has anyone got any new information about this university?
zharkov
or, the modern Prometheus.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 7:19:23 AM »

Found this forum.  Has anyone got any new information about this university?

Still not accredited. 

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »

I sent a query - you get back a vague answer.
chicago_48

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 2:15:29 PM »

I sent a query - you get back a vague answer.
They have a forum at linkedin.com.  The guy who's in charge just got $500,000 from Gates Fdn....but they still haven't answered my questions.  But I'm in the forum.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 1:20:57 PM »

It is very important to be in the forum, but it is more important that the forum be accredited.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: