• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 8:58:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: German Library and Information Science Master of Arts  (Read 36363 times)
jamiechronicle

« on: January 05, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »

Hi.  I have a friend who is a U.S. citizen and lives in the U.S.  He speaks fluent German and he is thinking of getting a Library and Information Science MA degree at the Berlin School of Library and Information Science at Humboldt University.  Can you tell me about any of the following:

1) What is the job market in Germany with an MLIS degree, academic or non-academic?
2) Will it be much harder to find a job in the U.S. with a German degree?
3) He would get the degree online while working in the U.S., having little time to do an internship, but categorizes data, does web search and some programming, etc. for a living in a non-library setting.  Will this put him at a big disadvantage?
4) How good is the Berlin School program?

Thanks in advance for your help.
collegekidsmom
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »

I don't know the answers to most of your questions, but I do think there might be an issue with any degree that is not ALA accredited. Many US jobs require an ALA accredited degree.
urlauber
Expert

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 6:13:56 PM »

1) What is the job market in Germany with an MLIS degree, academic or non-academic?
2) Will it be much harder to find a job in the U.S. with a German degree?
3) He would get the degree online while working in the U.S., having little time to do an internship, but categorizes data, does web search and some programming, etc. for a living in a non-library setting.  Will this put him at a big disadvantage?
4) How good is the Berlin School program?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1) Master degree replaced the diploma in Germany, so it gives best opportunities in job market.
2) Can't answer that, however intention of introducing the Bachelor / Master system in germany was that the international unification of degree, such that the degree is accepted outside of germany.
3 + 4) Can't answer that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: