• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:19:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 137
  Print  
Author Topic: reducing clutter and organizing stuff  (Read 314595 times)
octoprof
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #765 on: April 20, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

I made $250 by taking copper pipe and a radiator to a metal recycler.

Drinks are on spork!

Octoprof, do you have a filing system? I need one.

Sort of, but it's supposed to be one of Mr. W's jobs so it's only sort of done...

We have a one drawer filing cabinet in the home office. One drawer is enough. If you have more, you'll let it grow... at least we know we would.

We keep anything related to the house or mortgage as long as we own the house. We keep anything tax related at least seven years, usually all the year's taxes end up in one folder or manila envelope after filing so we'll know when it's 7 years old we can shred it. We keep several years of bank statements (we only have one account so this isn't a big file). We keep one year of everything else, such as the regular utility bills and such like. We usually keep the medical bill/receipts/insurance stuff until the end of the year when it's clear we aren't going to be itemizing that (it's never been big enough to itemize, thankfully). We have one file for instruction manuals of appliances as well. That's about it. We clean it out about once per year, usually sometime after the beginning of the year and after the taxes are done.

We are not great at dealing with paper piles, but we are slowly getting better. Bills get paid (or electronically scheduled for future payment) as they arrive by mail. Then, they make their way to the foot of the stairs and someone picks them up when going upstairs for something else and takes them to the filing cabinet, where they may languish on top for a while until one of us gets motivated and goes upstairs and files things.  There's not much other reason to go upstairs other than to work in the home office, or sew in the sewing loft (which I haven't had time to do lately) or to get something out of or put something into the walk in attic storage (say Christmas decorations or camping gear when it's not camping season).

Love your neighbor.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #766 on: April 21, 2012, 9:15:50 AM »

I made $250 by taking copper pipe and a radiator to a metal recycler.

Drinks are on spork!

There's a neighborhood yard sale coming up in a few weeks, and I'm hoping to convince my wife to let me try to sell some items we hardly ever use.

psychdiva, I use three ring binders. I have one for tax returns up to seven years old, one for home-related documents like the mortgage, one for medical information, etc. I have stopped keeping paper bank and credit card statements -- I used to, but for the most part they are all available online now. When I get notified by email that I have a new statement ready, I review it to make sure there are no mysterious charges, etc., then forget about it.

For me junk mail is more of a problem. For us over 95 percent of the paper mail we get is junk. It comes through the mail slot in the front door and I have to throw it in the recycle bin outside the back door on a daily basis -- if I don't it gets everywhere.

I have a large binder for my dad's estate. He died in 2006. I was executor. The only thing of significance was his house, which sold in January 2008. Anyone know how long I need to keep these documents, or what's important to keep?

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
compdoc

« Reply #767 on: April 22, 2012, 5:06:33 PM »

Helping out folks in my area. Cleaned out a shed and their backyard. Filled a flat bed trailer over six feet high. Filled the bed of a pickup for Goodwill.

Definitely was reducing clutter, even if it wasn't mine.
crumpet

« Reply #768 on: April 23, 2012, 8:40:40 AM »

I just returned home after a month away and I'm keen to get my clutter/mess under control. I'm pretty neat normally but, especially after surviving for four weeks with very little stuff, I realize I want to reduce even more.

How did you all get started?
anon99

« Reply #769 on: April 23, 2012, 9:10:19 AM »

Pick a room or project (e.g. the junk drawer, paperwork, mail, closet, bedroom).  Start with something small and doable, so you see that it can be done.  You might also want to start with something that has visible impact (e.g. closet or bookshelf).
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #770 on: April 23, 2012, 3:57:31 PM »

Pick a room or project (e.g. the junk drawer, paperwork, mail, closet, bedroom).  Start with something small and doable, so you see that it can be done.  You might also want to start with something that has visible impact (e.g. closet or bookshelf).

Exactly!

Love your neighbor.
crumpet

« Reply #771 on: April 30, 2012, 5:53:13 PM »

Exactly!

Its been a crazy time lately, but I finally tackled one large, scary drawer. I tossed 25% of it and reorganized the rest. I also cleared off a side table. It feels good. I'm hoping to tackle a few more drawers in the next weeks.

The big task is a hall closet. Yikes.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #772 on: April 30, 2012, 9:12:20 PM »

Exactly!

Its been a crazy time lately, but I finally tackled one large, scary drawer. I tossed 25% of it and reorganized the rest. I also cleared off a side table. It feels good. I'm hoping to tackle a few more drawers in the next weeks.

Yea! You are awesome!

You can do this!

Love your neighbor.
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #773 on: April 30, 2012, 9:35:45 PM »

Sold a pair of old kitchen chairs today for $30. They had been gathering dust in the basement for the last two years.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
psychdiva
A tantrum-throwing

It's a small kingdom but someone's got to rule it.

« Reply #774 on: May 05, 2012, 5:03:07 PM »

The Container Store is having a weekend sale on its website!

Specializing in nervous inquietude since 1986.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #775 on: May 05, 2012, 9:27:49 PM »

We have been avoiding the annual Spring decluttering of the garage... but it must happen soon as I bought a (used at a yard sale) kayak today...

Love your neighbor.
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #776 on: May 05, 2012, 9:33:16 PM »

Helping out folks in my area. Cleaned out a shed and their backyard. Filled a flat bed trailer over six feet high. Filled the bed of a pickup for Goodwill.

Definitely was reducing clutter, even if it wasn't mine.

How soon can you come to my house? I've got all sorts of decluttering projects I'm itching to get to and precious little time for them. I can keep you busy all summer!

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
crumpet

« Reply #777 on: May 07, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »

The big, scary hall closet is cleaned. Its not ideal but it is significantly improved. One bag of books to give away, some stuff repaired and useful again, as well as the discovery of something useful!

The next big task is to go through my clothing. I need to sort all of it out and get rid of some that is old and/or that I don't wear.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #778 on: May 07, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »

I bought a new router an embarrassing number of months ago. It's been sitting on my table waiting to be installed.

Its wait is over! Hello, faster internet.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
nucleo

« Reply #779 on: May 07, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »

I bought a new router an embarrassing number of months ago. It's been sitting on my table waiting to be installed.

Its wait is over! Hello, faster internet.

Not only did spucleo and I install our new router last week (which, like yours, had been waiting for some time), but in cleaning up all the detritus, we also dealt with the leftovers from the last router install from about two years ago which had been lurking under the nearby desk.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 137
  Print  

Jump to: