• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:54:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137
  Print  
Author Topic: reducing clutter and organizing stuff  (Read 314594 times)
octoprof
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 12:24:33 PM »

I am thoroughly inspired. I've been holding on to boxes from my last move (four years ago) that are still unopened. Do you think I need that stuff? Yeah, hardly.  I will be sending a lot of worthless crap to the dump today.  Not-so-worthless but unnecessary stuff will be headed to Goodwill.

Thanks for lighting the fire, Elsie.  Happy purging! 

You probably need none of it. But you want to look through (quickly) just to be sure there's nothing important in there (which is highly unlikely!). Although, I did find some two dollar bills in a box I didn't know I had when unpacking some leftover boxes a couple of years ago. :o)

Love your neighbor.
palla

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 12:46:12 PM »

You probably need none of it. But you want to look through (quickly) just to be sure there's nothing important in there (which is highly unlikely!). Although, I did find some two dollar bills in a box I didn't know I had when unpacking some leftover boxes a couple of years ago. :o)

I can't do look through the boxes.  I would find something I had forgotten about and make up a hundred reasons not to get rid of it.  OK, I would find several things that fit that category.
collegekidsmom

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 1:15:27 PM »

Also think twice before bringing more stuff in. Instead of bringing a big box home from the office, deal with it three. Don't take anyone else's stuff to store. However, if you completely clean up a room, you can motivate yourself by thinking about painting it, or buying one nice new piece of furniture. I just cleared out a room, and it is so nice to actually see the room almost empty and think about a new color,etc.

Before you buy anything, think of it not just in terms of the money, but about storing it forever too.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 1:22:16 PM »

I can't do look through the boxes.  I would find something I had forgotten about and make up a hundred reasons not to get rid of it.  OK, I would find several things that fit that category.

In that case, just take it to Goodwill or whomever in the boxes.

Love your neighbor.
nanoputian

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 1:32:36 PM »

Just went through all of PP Jr's summer/fall clothes and boxed up everything that doesn't fit. Bathroom is half cleaned and rugs are drying outside. Time to tackle my clothes!

Also think twice before bringing more stuff in. Instead of bringing a big box home from the office, deal with it three.

Before you buy anything, think of it not just in terms of the money, but about storing it forever too.

These two rules have really helped reduce clutter in our house. If it never comes in, then we don't have to wrestle with getting rid of it later. Sure, a box of cast off picture frames or an electric ice cream maker would be great to have and I'm sure I'd use it some day, but is it really going to earn its keep until I can use it?
erzuliefreda

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 2:24:14 PM »

We've purged and cleaned the downstairs over the past couple of weeks. But the upstairs is a real mess. We moved into this house six months ago and still haven't really unpacked or arranged upstairs properly. There is still a pile of boxes, etc. in the corner of the bedroom, for instance. A very large and unsightly pile. So we are trying to get through that before Thanksgiving, so that we can have folks over and give the tour without being ashamed.

But this is the first place we've ever lived with... an attic. OMG. Storage. I had a local handyman put plywood in for 120 sq. ft. of flooring so that we can store out-of-season holiday decorations, cat carriers/currently unused pet supplies. So far, that's all that is up there. I hope to keep it that way.

Carry on, declutterers!

elsie

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 2:53:58 PM »

I know you're supposed to discard old, used mascara, but how about old, never-opened mascara? I just discovered a bag of Estee Lauder samples in a drawer. I don't know how old they are though. They were in a plastic bag that had never been opened, which contained lipstick, blush, and mascara. The color of the blush and lipstick still look good. They don't seem to have discolored or separated with age.

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff." - the Doctor
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 3:01:58 PM »

I know you're supposed to discard old, used mascara, but how about old, never-opened mascara? I just discovered a bag of Estee Lauder samples in a drawer. I don't know how old they are though. They were in a plastic bag that had never been opened, which contained lipstick, blush, and mascara. The color of the blush and lipstick still look good. They don't seem to have discolored or separated with age.

Toss them.

Love your neighbor.
shiraz

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 3:23:03 PM »

Definitely toss the cosmetics--not worth the potential infection. 
elsie

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 3:26:30 PM »

Okay, they're gone.

I'm starting to run out of steam on the second bathroom, but I should be able to get it finished before I crash. I'm not actually cleaning so much as I'm clearing out the drawers and under the sink in the vanities.

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff." - the Doctor
collegekidsmom

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 3:58:00 PM »

In my area, Vietnam Veterans of America sends you a postcard, and then the truck comes around. This is only on certain days. It's great because you have a deadline, and you don't want to miss it. Sometimes making the appointment, if that service is available gets you going.
nanoputian

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 4:17:43 PM »

I'm starting to run out of steam too, so I think it will be time to move from more physically demanding cleaning to smaller decluttering. Maybe the fridge? I'm also starting to think about pouring myself a glass of wine, but am trying to hold out so I can go for a run first. Hmmm...reward a day of hard work with exercise or wine?

CKM-I miss the Vietnam Veterans truck! I loved the deadline, the ease of pick-up, and being able to give to a good cause. The town I live in now has a truck at the community center once a month (not sure what group?) which is a really nice service, but not nearly as nice as the Vietnam Veterans or Purple Heart truck.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 4:19:31 PM »

I'm starting to run out of steam too, so I think it will be time to move from more physically demanding cleaning to smaller decluttering. Maybe the fridge? I'm also starting to think about pouring myself a glass of wine, but am trying to hold out so I can go for a run first. Hmmm...reward a day of hard work with exercise or wine?

Exercise, then wine. :o)

Love your neighbor.
elsie

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 6:24:19 PM »

I'm down to the last load of laundry. But I'm tired, and I'm going to stop decluttering for today. Tomorrow: the kitchen and garage.

octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 6:35:41 PM »

I'm down to the last load of laundry. But I'm tired, and I'm going to stop decluttering for today. Tomorrow: the kitchen and garage.

You've accomplished much today, elsie! Good job!  Now, have a drink and put your feet up. :o)

Love your neighbor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 137
  Print  

Jump to: