• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 2:17:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Triathlons: Newbie Questions  (Read 71379 times)
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #390 on: January 21, 2012, 6:09:41 PM »

Before you look at those images, you might be glad to know that those images are from an MRI.  Not an autopsy.

Fascinating!

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
scampster

« Reply #391 on: January 21, 2012, 6:15:54 PM »

Before you look at those images, you might be glad to know that those images are from an MRI.  Not an autopsy.

Fascinating!

I expect that my thighs look like the 40 year old triathlete's PLUS that layer of adipose tissue from the 74 year old. I actually would be curious to see how the same slice for a woman would look.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #392 on: January 21, 2012, 6:16:33 PM »

Fascinating!

I expect that my thighs look like the 40 year old triathlete's PLUS that layer of adipose tissue from the 74 year old. I actually would be curious to see how the same slice for a woman would look.

I'm dying to have an MRI of my thigh now. Weird, eh?

Love your neighbor.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:38 PM »

So who's training? What are you training for?

:o)

Love your neighbor.
johnr

« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2012, 12:22:41 AM »

I've officially marked my calendar and started training for the Oceanman: http://www.oceanman.ca/raceinfo.asp?page=course.

I did a 3.7 mile paddle in my surf ski yesterday and a 6.5 mile paddle today.  I've the SUP and swimming covered, but, sooner or later, I'm going to have to start running.  Not looking forward to that.
lohai0

« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2012, 1:35:56 AM »

I've officially marked my calendar and started training for the Oceanman: http://www.oceanman.ca/raceinfo.asp?page=course.

I did a 3.7 mile paddle in my surf ski yesterday and a 6.5 mile paddle today.  I've the SUP and swimming covered, but, sooner or later, I'm going to have to start running.  Not looking forward to that.

I'm most worried about biking. I am VERY short, with very short legs. I have no idea where I will find a bike that fits me. Also, I grew up in an area so flat, I actually never learned how to switch gears.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2012, 2:03:21 PM »

I'm most worried about biking. I am VERY short, with very short legs. I have no idea where I will find a bike that fits me. Also, I grew up in an area so flat, I actually never learned how to switch gears.

You need to come visit me for a weekend, lohai. I bet you can ride my spare.

Love your neighbor.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #397 on: February 01, 2012, 12:57:10 AM »

Argh. Now I have a third option to choose from. My semi-local TNT is taking a group to this triathlon. So, I could do that one in June, instead of either of the others in September. So many choices. <sigh>

Love your neighbor.
lohai0

« Reply #398 on: March 18, 2012, 5:19:50 PM »

Well, I've signed up for my first sprint triathlon in August:

Swim 750
Bike 10 miles
Run 3 miles

I can swim the distance now in a 4:1 backstroke:freestyle ratio. I'm switching laps over to freestyle each workout. Right now I'm training for a 10k, so I'm going to focus most on swimming and running until I'm past that.

johnr

« Reply #399 on: March 18, 2012, 5:30:01 PM »

Swim 750
Bike 10 miles
Run 3 miles

I can swim the distance now in a 4:1 backstroke:freestyle ratio. I'm switching laps over to freestyle each workout. Right now I'm training for a 10k, so I'm going to focus most on swimming and running until I'm past that.

Excellent.  That's a very fun distance, plus, plenty of time to train before the race. 
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #400 on: March 18, 2012, 9:53:54 PM »

Swim 750
Bike 10 miles
Run 3 miles

Excellent.  That's a very fun distance, plus, plenty of time to train before the race. 

Congratulations! You'll love it!

My only event planned so far is an international/olympic distance triathlon (about 1000 yard swim, 28 mile bike, 6 mile run - or in my case a crawl...) in June - the one I mentioned as a possibility previously. The swim is a no brainer for me. I've already biked up to 24 or 25 so far this Winter (which feels like a Spring...) and I'm up to just over 5K in the walk/run training. I suck at the latter, but I can make 6 miles, eventually. I'm slow, but I can do the distance, I think.

I'm doing this to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and I just want to finish and not need orthopedic medical care (always my goal for an endurance event).

Love your neighbor.
tuxedo_cat

« Reply #401 on: May 06, 2012, 3:51:20 PM »

Ok, triathlon buddies:  even though I haven't yet filed grades, my 15-week training has officially begun.

I'm doing a sprint-triathlon. . .

1/3 mi swim
14.5 mi bike
3 mi run

. . . on Sun. Aug 19, so that feels like a comfortable period of time to get my pathetic self back into shape.  Yesterday's inaugural workout was pretty sad -- 2.5 miles of running / walking that took about 30 min. and ended with a lot of walking on the treadmill -- but at least I did the 30 minutes!  And I'm sore today but haven't hurt anything.

There is another much more challenging Aqua-Bike event (1 mi ocean swim ~ 25 mi bike) in September that I was really hoping to try this year.  But that means coughing up another $100 to register, and the event site is 20 miles away, so that means taking out a few days to drive up and train the bike course and also test out the ocean in that area.  

I am hereby committing to a real run workout on Mon (minimum 38 min), and then a swim workout on both Tue. and Weds (since I'll be on campus and can swim for free).

Who else is happily eyeing the calendar for an event this summer -- or just thinking about trying this out for the first time?  Lots of friendly and useful advice here -- some of it may even come from me since I'm doing my third event this summer -- and I am *not* a young cat!  

lohai0

« Reply #402 on: May 06, 2012, 3:56:57 PM »

Ok, triathlon buddies:  even though I haven't yet filed grades, my 15-week training has officially begun.

1/3 mi swim
14.5 mi bike
3 mi run

. . . on Sun. Aug 19, so that feels like a comfortable period of time to get my pathetic self back into shape.  Yesterday's inaugural workout was pretty sad -- 2.5 miles of running / walking that took about 30 min. and ended with a lot of walking on the treadmill -- but at least I did the 30 minutes!  And I'm sore today but haven't hurt anything.

There is another much more challenging Aqua-Bike event (1 mi ocean swim ~ 25 mi bike) in September that I was really hoping to try this year.  But that means coughing up another $100 to register, and the event site is 20 miles away, so that means taking out a few days to drive up and train the bike course and also test out the ocean in that area.  

I am hereby committing to a real run workout on Mon (minimum 38 min), and then a swim workout on both Tue. and Weds (since I'll be on campus and can swim for free).

Who else is happily eyeing the calendar for an event this summer -- or just thinking about trying this out for the first time?  Lots of friendly and useful advice here -- some of it may even come from me since I'm doing my third event this summer -- and I am *not* a young cat!  

I have my 10k Memorial Day. I'm in week 2 on my triathlon plan. I'm pretty comfortable with the run. I can do the swim easily...except not in freestyle. That's what I'm working on now.

octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #403 on: May 06, 2012, 4:16:12 PM »

1/3 mi swim
14.5 mi bike
3 mi run

So, you have three months or more and your tri run is 3 miles. You don't need to run 2.5 TODAY. Work your way up slowly.  Walk/run is a great idea since many folks, even great runners, end up doing some walking in a tri run.  But, I know you already know these things. :o)

I'm doing an Olympic distance (1,000 yard swim, 28 mile bike, 6 mile run) in mid-June. Of course, with the plantar fasciitis, running is seeming more and more unlikely (MRI is Friday; I've already had two steroid injections) so I'm hoping to at least be able to walk the run (which is iffy but I'm hoping...). Swimming and biking are going mostly fine, at least.

Next weekend I'm doing a "practice" triathlon at the same location as my real one. Since this is a TNT event to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the "team" is getting together for the weekend to preview the course. Since I don't live anywhere near the team, this will be my first time to meet any of these folks (no TNT triathlon organization in my local area, so I'm doing it with another state/regional group). But, at least the course won't be a total surprise in June!

I'm not sure what will happen if I can't at least walk the run in June. I suppose if I can't, I can't and I'l just swim and bike... It's very discouraging as I worked into my walk/run this year (starting January 1) ever so slowly and was up to about 4 miles walk/run (in late March) when the PF inflammation freaked out. This is my first time with PF.

I love the idea of an AquaBike, tuxedo cat, for obvious reasons and I've done one before (half iron distance about 6 or 7 years go) but I'm a chicken when it comes to ocean swimming. I worry I'll swallow too much salt water or get pounded by the waves or something. I should suck it up and try one in the ocean someday, though.

Since running (and even serious walking) are off the table for the moment, I'm focusing mostly on the bike and secondarily on the swim. I biked 300 miles last month and am hoping for a bit more this month. I'm very slow, but I do like to get some miles in when I can. Many of my rides on the hybrid in the neighborhoods since I don't have anyone as slow as I am to ride in the hinterlands with me on the road bike.

I have not committed to any other events yet. Partly, I'm waiting to see what happens with the foot. Partly, I just don't want to think that far ahead. I would like to do a longer AquaBike in the early Fall, though, if I can find one not too far away.

I did swim 500 yards as part of a relay in an indoor triathlon a few months ago. It was hilarious as I hadn't planned to participate but one of my swimming friends got sick and her biking friend called me the night before at 10pm and begged me to come do the swim at 830 the next morning (so she wouldn't have to swim as well as bike). I had done a hard swim workout that afternoon, then a bike ride, then ate a huge pile of Mexican food... not ideal pre-race prep! It was funny. But, I had fun and was only about 30 seconds slower than I should have been. And, our relay wasn't last...

PS. I haven't filed grades either, but they are due Tuesday at noon.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 4:18:47 PM by octoprof » Logged

Love your neighbor.
tuxedo_cat

« Reply #404 on: May 06, 2012, 5:50:34 PM »

Go lohai0!  I am always a bit jealous of you runners at the end of a triathlon as you all seem pretty relieved to get to that section and that's the part I always dread.  I'm curious about your backstroke and freestyle combo:  is that just because the backstroke is more comfortable?  Will you be swimming in a wetsuit for the triathlon?  If you haven't swum in a wetsuit before, you will probably be happy to discover that the suit gives you quite a bit of buoyancy in the water.  However, it may also restrict shoulder movements a bit depending on the suit if you're doing the backstroke a lot.  But it sounds like you're training to do all freestyle eventually?

Octo, I'm so sad to hear about the ongoing foot problems!  I have some sense of how deeply frustrating that must be.  I hope you have a great experience meeting and practicing with your team next weekend despite all the persistent pain with your foot.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: