• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 7:39:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Triathlons: Newbie Questions  (Read 71378 times)
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #375 on: January 20, 2012, 1:35:18 PM »

Very much a newbie question here: I don't understand the different distances and terms, and I googled before I asked. Is the sprint course just called a sprint because it's shorter? What is "international" distance?

Yeah, I know, the terminology is a little confusing:  "sprint" means half the distance of a classic (?), Olympic length triathlon.  For me "sprint" means:  "Hey, I can actually probably do those distances!" but I suppose for the hardcore competitors it means:  "I will be going super fast since these distances are so easy!"

I think these are the breakdowns for the 3 legs:

Sprint:  Swim (.3 mi.) + Bike (1315 mi.) + Run (3 mi.)

Olympic:  Swim (1 mi) + Bike (25 mi.) + Run (6 mi.)

Although officially, all those should be in kilometers.  Octo will probably know all that more precisely, and also the Ironman/woman distances, which I think would make my head hurt just to think about them!

I am curious about how long they have been doing "Sprint" events, since they really offer an accessible goal for those of us who are much more modest athletes.  From what I've read, participation in triathlon events has gone way up in recent years -- I think partly because of Tri-for-the-Cure (which in my city, unfortunately, has become kind of a problematic and exclusive event).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 1:36:01 PM by tuxedo_cat » Logged

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #376 on: January 20, 2012, 1:52:45 PM »

Very much a newbie question here: I don't understand the different distances and terms, and I googled before I asked. Is the sprint course just called a sprint because it's shorter? What is "international" distance?

Yeah, I know, the terminology is a little confusing:  "sprint" means half the distance of a classic (?), Olympic length triathlon.  For me "sprint" means:  "Hey, I can actually probably do those distances!" but I suppose for the hardcore competitors it means:  "I will be going super fast since these distances are so easy!"

Although officially, all those should be in kilometers.  Octo will probably know all that more precisely, and also the Ironman/woman distances, which I think would make my head hurt just to think about them!

I am curious about how long they have been doing "Sprint" events, since they really offer an accessible goal for those of us who are much more modest athletes.  From what I've read, participation in triathlon events has gone way up in recent years -- I think partly because of Tri-for-the-Cure (which in my city, unfortunately, has become kind of a problematic and exclusive event).

Got it. So a sprint would be (quick conversion here) 750m/20?K/5K. I could do that. I once ran a 6-miler in the morning, then biked with my then-BF 28 miles in the afternoon. Huh. Do-able.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
lohai0

« Reply #377 on: January 20, 2012, 2:00:31 PM »

Got it. So a sprint would be (quick conversion here) 750m/20?K/5K. I could do that. I once ran a 6-miler in the morning, then biked with my then-BF 28 miles in the afternoon. Huh. Do-able.

I think I could do that. I wonder if they have sprint triathalons near here.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
johnr

« Reply #378 on: January 20, 2012, 2:01:02 PM »

I never knew about the Aquabike races. I hate running. This is race for johnr!
octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #379 on: January 20, 2012, 2:05:28 PM »

Mr. W. and I did an Aquabike half iron distance in 2005 (prairieman had that option). Not all triathlons have that option but it's becoming more common.

It's my favorite, of course.

Love your neighbor.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #380 on: January 20, 2012, 2:13:35 PM »

A sprint is essentially anything shorter than an olympic/international distance which is 1.5K/40K/10K.

There are a wide range of sprints and super sprints (I've done one with a swim as short as 200 yards, seriously). And a wide range of relative distances in a given tri for the different disciplines and even some that do the order backward (I've done one of those) and some that screw up the order in even more funky ways (I did one once that was swim (don't remember distance), then run 1.5 miles, then bike (10 or 12 miles I think? don't remember distance) then run another 1.5. It was determined by the limitations of the location, apparently.

Half distance (also known as half ironman (no one ever says ironwoman, a female finisher is still an IronMan) but ironman is a trademarked word so races at these distances that aren't part of the WTC company) is 1.2mi/56mi/13.1mi or 1.9km/90km/21.1km.

(full) Ironman or full distance triathlons are 2.4mi/112mi/26.2mi or 3.86km/180.25km/42.195km

Love your neighbor.
scampster

« Reply #381 on: January 20, 2012, 2:27:03 PM »

I think I could do that. I wonder if they have sprint triathalons near here.

You can totally do it and I would bet money on there being a sprint near you. Go to www.trifind.com and look up your state. Find a sprint that emphasizes what you like best. Almost all sprints have 5ks at the end, but the swim/bike ratio can vary widely. I hate swimming and am good at the bike, so I do short swim/long bike sprint tris. Anyway, you should expect to be doing somewhere around 1.5 hours of continuous exercise, depending on your speed and how long the race is, but the best part about sprint tris is that by the time you are sick of one thing, it is time to go to the next thing!

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #382 on: January 20, 2012, 3:50:28 PM »

I know, me too!  Although anakin has more or less signed on as my personal running coach these days, so I may yet figure out how to do the running parts with less reluctance!

Half distance (also known as half ironman (no one ever says ironwoman, a female finisher is still an IronMan)

See, I knew octo would have a much more official definition for you all.  But I had no idea one could change one's sex without the surgery!  That's pretty cool ;)

And scampster beat me to posting the link for finding local triathlons -- actually, looking at the events just for my state, it looks like the number of events has *doubled* in the past year.  I think people have figured out that they are great fundraising events. 

I'm signing on to persuade Lohai0 and anakin to try out a sprint triathlon year.  And hey, if any of you are in the New England area and would like to find a sprint tri to converge upon, that would be totally fun. 

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #383 on: January 20, 2012, 4:20:47 PM »

I'm signing on to persuade Lohai0 and anakin to try out a sprint triathlon year.  And hey, if any of you are in the New England area and would like to find a sprint tri to converge upon, that would be totally fun. 

And, if any of you want to visit me in flyover land in February, we have an indoor sprint triathlon here. :o)

I love this:

...the best part about sprint tris is that by the time you are sick of one thing, it is time to go to the next thing!

Truth! Of course, this works out better for me in reverse triathlons...

Love your neighbor.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #384 on: January 20, 2012, 4:30:11 PM »

I know, me too!  Although anakin has more or less signed on as my personal running coach these days, so I may yet figure out how to do the running parts with less reluctance!

Half distance (also known as half ironman (no one ever says ironwoman, a female finisher is still an IronMan)

See, I knew octo would have a much more official definition for you all.  But I had no idea one could change one's sex without the surgery!  That's pretty cool ;)

And scampster beat me to posting the link for finding local triathlons -- actually, looking at the events just for my state, it looks like the number of events has *doubled* in the past year.  I think people have figured out that they are great fundraising events. 

Hey now...we are coaching each other, right?? I'm no Grete Waitz. And I agree to make a sprint tri my "stretch" goal for this year. I have some considerations, but I'm open to it.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
lohai0

« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2012, 7:22:07 PM »

Hey now...we are coaching each other, right?? I'm no Grete Waitz. And I agree to make a sprint tri my "stretch" goal for this year. I have some considerations, but I'm open to it.

That sounds like a good stretch goal.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
johnr

« Reply #386 on: January 21, 2012, 12:19:45 AM »

At the great risk of outing where I live, here's what I'm training for this summer  http://www.oceanman.ca/.

Yes, there is a run, but I can fake a 6k  Also, dig the start time!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:21:57 AM by johnr » Logged
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #387 on: January 21, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »

At the great risk of outing where I live, here's what I'm training for this summer  http://www.oceanman.ca/.

Wild! Isn't the water cold up there?

Love your neighbor.
johnr

« Reply #388 on: January 21, 2012, 12:44:01 AM »

Wild! Isn't the water cold up there?

Oh yes.  We can see very low 60's on the surface layer, in the middle of the summer, if there's no wind or tidal mixing.  But usually, we're talking 50's.  Wetsuits for the swim for sure. 
octoprof
Member-Moderator

« Reply #389 on: January 21, 2012, 2:48:02 PM »

This These is are your brain legs on drugs triathlon...

Love your neighbor.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: