• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:52:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50
  Print  
Author Topic: ABD on the market-support group  (Read 331395 times)
optimisticfungus
I giggle everytime someone introduces me as Dr. So-and-So.

« Reply #540 on: November 28, 2011, 11:17:57 AM »

I'm a Ph.D. candidate in the sciences, and although my funding runs out in March, my committee said that funding should not be the determining factor of when I finish. I just laughed at that. I mean, I've been in the grad program 5.5 years and the experiments needed for 4 of my 5 research chapters have been completed! Anyway,

Applications sent: 19
Requests for more info: 2
Interviews: 1
Rejections: 4
Applications to be sent: 3
Crickets: 12

It's like trying to nail jello to a wall.

We have very vivid and exciting inside lives. Deep down inside, we are wild.
ecarrandi

« Reply #541 on: November 28, 2011, 1:34:58 PM »

I just found out this weekend that I passed my doctoral exams, so I am officially ABD.  I am only 27 years old and have finished all my coursework (56 credits) in Higher Education Administration and Leadership. I am now getting ready to begin my dissertation.  I am not sure how long it will take because my institution has a history of taking their time approving drafts.

I have been teaching elementary and middle school for over 6 years now and had various leadership positions in those capacities.  I have applied for so many higher ed positions for the past year and have had no luck.  I live in the Orlando, FL area where there are countless colleges and universities. I am more than ready to move on into higher education.  Any suggestions?
soym1lk

« Reply #542 on: November 28, 2011, 10:12:15 PM »

Hey folks!
Why do you think it is that more people don't regularly update the Wikis?  I understand that some people don't want to get in the habit of obsessively checking the Wikis for reasons involving their own mental health and happiness, and that's totally valid and understandable, but I'm just wondering why more people don't update the Wiki in the spirit of helping out others, who are their competitors, but also their peers?
scampster
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #543 on: November 28, 2011, 10:15:19 PM »

Hey folks!
Why do you think it is that more people don't regularly update the Wikis?  I understand that some people don't want to get in the habit of obsessively checking the Wikis for reasons involving their own mental health and happiness, and that's totally valid and understandable, but I'm just wondering why more people don't update the Wiki in the spirit of helping out others, who are their competitors, but also their peers?

Maybe because they don't want to make the effort of making a profile to preserve their anonymity? My wiki has never been well updated, so I never bothered updating it for that reason.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
davisboy1984

« Reply #544 on: December 04, 2011, 7:41:09 PM »

I agree. The wiki this year is definitely more quiet; but sometimes people ask too specific question like which field are you in and which department have you sent your postdoc application that makes it seem very skeptical. I would say question sticking to 1) interview schedule 2) campus visit scheduled, 3) job offered would be enough. Anyhow, I am an ABD 2nd year on the market. So far

1. Sent out 48 application
2. One confirmed MLA interview
3. Hopefully for one or two more confirmed interviews so I can make my plane ticket and hotel room worth...
mfaeer

« Reply #545 on: December 05, 2011, 3:29:57 AM »

I stopped updating on Wiki when I realized the "history" tab makes the activity of one's account public.
soym1lk

« Reply #546 on: December 05, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »

But it only takes a minute to make an account which will hide your identity. 
(Personally, I don't really feel like my IP address reveals my identity.)
I update the Wiki in order to help out others in my position, and because I would hope that others would extend the same help to me.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #547 on: December 09, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »

Hey folks!

I received some great advice from this forum. When I update, I usually say "a friend is scheduled to have an interview." That "friend" might refer to me, depending on the situation.

Actually, my husband recently got a campus invite and I'm trying like mad to figure out how many others are invited. I wish people would update. I'm assuming it is the standard three, but he also had a really positive phone call from the chair of the department (not on the SC) that made it seem like he's the person they want. They talked for a while. There's also a VAP there, so maybe he automatically gets an invite? I wish there would be an update. Oh well. It doesn't matter, I guess.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
mfaeer

« Reply #548 on: December 10, 2011, 3:18:44 PM »

But it only takes a minute to make an account which will hide your identity. 
(Personally, I don't really feel like my IP address reveals my identity.)
I update the Wiki in order to help out others in my position, and because I would hope that others would extend the same help to me.

Do you know how to do that? I haven't been able to figure it out
soym1lk

« Reply #549 on: December 10, 2011, 3:26:08 PM »

Click on "Sign Up" which is located in the upper righthand corner.
mfaeer

« Reply #550 on: December 10, 2011, 3:49:55 PM »

Yeah, I've signed-up before, but the form requires the creation of a username. How are people signing-up without creating a username and/or hiding it?

soym1lk

« Reply #551 on: December 10, 2011, 4:07:34 PM »

The username hides your IP address, and your IP address is the only thing that can potentially identify YOU, and only by revealing your general location.  If you make up some bogus username, no one can use that to figure out who YOU are, though they will be able to see all of the updates made by this same username.  If that feels like it's a problem for you, make up a bunch of different usernames.
mfaeer

« Reply #552 on: December 10, 2011, 4:24:44 PM »

The username hides your IP address, and your IP address is the only thing that can potentially identify YOU, and only by revealing your general location.  If you make up some bogus username, no one can use that to figure out who YOU are, though they will be able to see all of the updates made by this same username.  If that feels like it's a problem for you, make up a bunch of different usernames.

People on committees can probably figure out who is who more easily with usernames because they stand out. If I had to choose, I'd rather have my IP shown than a username that tracks all of the jobs I've applied for.

When I click on the "history" tab," I see mostly IP addresses, and I'm wondering how these people created accounts without either using a username or selecting a feature that shows the IP instead of a username.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 4:27:17 PM by mfaer » Logged
soym1lk

« Reply #553 on: December 10, 2011, 4:28:45 PM »

The people who just have IP addresses never created accounts, which is why their IP address shows.  How would a username reveal the actual identity of the user?  What if your username is jhlg.ljhgv.ljhgh.g?  And you could create a new ilgj.hgl.jhglj.hgv,  for each wiki page, or for each job, or for each post.  Right?
mfaeer

« Reply #554 on: December 10, 2011, 4:34:04 PM »

The people who just have IP addresses never created accounts, which is why their IP address shows.  How would a username reveal the actual identity of the user?  What if your username is jhlg.ljhgv.ljhgh.g?  And you could create a new ilgj.hgl.jhglj.hgv,  for each wiki page, or for each job, or for each post.  Right?

I didn't realize a person could post without creating an account, so there's the answer I've been seeking.

"How would a username reveal the actual identity of the user?"

The username doesn't have to include the person's DOB, SSN, and government name in order to "out" him/her. For years, posters on this very forum have negotiated the degree of anonymity when using a handle or username. This issue is even more pronounced when tired directly to the job search.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 4:35:02 PM by mfaer » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50
  Print  

Jump to: