• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:47:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 595
  Print  
Author Topic: "Favorite" conversations with students  (Read 1538956 times)
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a
Distinguished Senior Member

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #6255 on: May 03, 2012, 10:07:34 PM »

I have no idea if students are taught such things, but I respond the same way when asked such foolishness.

I posted about this incident on Facebook and one of my colleage who teaches that same course (first accounting course, sophomores and higher) replied that she teaches students the knuckle method in class because so many don't have a clue...

I despair...

I asked my 3rd grader if he'd learned how many days are in each month. Nope. And my 1st grader just ran to the calendar on the wall and starting shouting them out, as if I were somewhat helpless.

Adding another thing to the list of things to teach my shorties . . .

When I have children, someone please remind me to call them my shorties.

Love it, dr_A!

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #6256 on: May 03, 2012, 10:12:32 PM »

I have no idea if students are taught such things, but I respond the same way when asked such foolishness.

I posted about this incident on Facebook and one of my colleage who teaches that same course (first accounting course, sophomores and higher) replied that she teaches students the knuckle method in class because so many don't have a clue...

I despair...

I love the knuckle method! I remember being stunned by how simple it was to use when I first learned about it.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
chemystery

« Reply #6257 on: May 03, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »

I don't know any of these methods.  My parents used to recite the rhyme occasionally, but it never made much sense to me because there was no real reason to have any certain month mentioned at any time.  They weren't in order.  "30 days hath September," fine, but you could just as easily say "30 days hath December," have the same rhyme and syllable count but be very wrong.  Eventually I just learned how many days were in each month through using that information over and over.

"Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"  --The Handmaid's Tale
bioteacher
chocolate loving

Confused and sad. Or happy. I'm not sure...

« Reply #6258 on: May 03, 2012, 10:51:36 PM »

What is the knuckle method?

Lifesaving dream crusher and member of the Real vs. Zeal club.
cc_alan
is a wossname

« Reply #6259 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »

A couple of urban legend-type things came up this week and what astounds me is how lame those students are when it comes to searching for information.

They mentioned a few things they saw on YouTube (egg balancing, broom balancing, and something weird about a cup of water) and I told them that one of things was an urban legend, I didn't know about the second one, and that I didn't see how the third one was possible. I would have looked them up during class but we didn't have time.

It took me 15 seconds on YouTube (5 seconds on each one) to find what was really happening in each case.

I didn't put this in the despair thread because I realized that these students are me. At some point in the term I share with each class a magically moment in my education when I "discovered" the index in the back of the book and how useful it was. Regardless of which chapter we were studying, my science textbooks could also be used as reference books. I put quotes around "discovered" because it was either another classmate or a professor that gave me the heads-up about how to use a textbook as a reference book.

So I sucked at finding information. And yet some of my students don't suck at it. One student who was struggling with a concept told me she figured it out by cruising YouTube until she found a video that helped her. I made sure to congratulate her in front of the rest of the class for showing initiative and getting the work done in spite of the difficulty she was having.

I find it fascinating that in this time of having so much information at our fingertips, some won't do it.

Alan

cc_alan
is a wossname

« Reply #6260 on: May 03, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »

<double-posting since they were so different>

Start at the first knuckle and go knuckle-knuckle gap-knuckle-etc. The first knuckle is 31. Each "space" between knuckles is 30 (except for Feb). so you get-

31-28-31-30-31-30-31

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul

Then start over-

31-30-31-30-31

Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

Alan

yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #6261 on: May 03, 2012, 11:08:50 PM »

<double-posting since they were so different>

Start at the first knuckle and go knuckle-knuckle gap-knuckle-etc. The first knuckle is 31. Each "space" between knuckles is 30 (except for Feb). so you get-

31-28-31-30-31-30-31

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul

Then start over-

31-30-31-30-31

Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec

Alan

Wow.

Just...wow.

(And here I was depending on, well, language, all these years.)

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
cc_alan
is a wossname

« Reply #6262 on: May 03, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »

Just for you, YT-

01010111011010000110111100100000011011100110010101100101011001000111001100100000011011000110000101101110011001110111010101100001011001110110010100111111

Alan

fancypants
is a great big meanie and a

« Reply #6263 on: May 04, 2012, 8:15:32 AM »

Oh, Fancypants.  Have some candy on me.
Here's a glass of mead, Fancy. Oh, did I mention that it's bottomless? Enjoy.

Thanks to both of you!  I will be taking donations of alcohol and sweets through the end of finals week.

He came back yesterday afternoon for more foolishness.  I told him I had only 15 minutes to see him, and he tried to tell me that a tutor in the writing center said that his paper was completely fine.  I doubt that this is true, and anyway, I told him "Well, the tutor is not the one who will be grading this paper."  The rest of our conversation went something like this:

BGNS: So when is this due again?

FP: Everything is due by the end of the day today.  That means it has to be submitted by 11:59pm today.

BGNS: WHY DO YOU ALWAYS DO THIS TO ME?

FP: What, exactly, am I doing to you?

BGNS: Oh, nothing. That was supposed to be a joke; I was being sarcastic.

FP: Just checking; your tone of voice wasn't clear there.

BGNS: I have to turn it in today?  What if I don't get it in?

FP: As you may remember from the syllabus, today is the last class day, and that means it's everyone's last chance to submit work.  Anything that misses that deadline gets a zero, and means failure for the course.

BGNS: (stands up, gets ready to leave) Argh!  You're making me nervous!

FP: Well, you're making me nervous.

BGNS: How could I make you nervous?

FP: I see that you keep having the same problems we talked about earlier this semester--you don't plan ahead, you do things at the last minute in a panic, you don't pay attention to important details, and it always comes back to haunt you.  I'm nervous for you because you're not doing what you need to do to succeed in college.

BGNS: (heavy sigh) You make my armpits sweat. (walks out)

You can lead them to water but you can't give them a functional brain.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #6264 on: May 04, 2012, 8:20:20 AM »

Oh, Fancypants, I read these conversations in the voice of a student who did this to me a year ago.  Nice fellow who would lose his head if it weren't attached.

Repeat after me: I won't care more about his success than he does.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
palla

« Reply #6265 on: May 04, 2012, 8:31:16 AM »

Oh fancypants, those conversations make me relish the summer months!  I made a pan of brownies last night.  You are welcome to keep a stash in your office in case student returns.

BGNS: (heavy sigh) You make my armpits sweat. (walks out)

I have to admit, that line made me laugh!
fancypants

« Reply #6266 on: May 04, 2012, 8:35:18 AM »

Oh, Fancypants, I read these conversations in the voice of a student who did this to me a year ago.  Nice fellow who would lose his head if it weren't attached.

Repeat after me: I won't care more about his success than he does.

Oh, believe me, I will happily record the grade that best reflects the results of the choices he's made this semester.

I hope he can turn it around and learn to be mature and responsible (and better at interacting with others, especially authority figures), but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Palla, thank you for the brownies!  I still have to get through final exams with this student.

octoprof
Member-Moderator

Love your loved ones while you can.

« Reply #6267 on: May 04, 2012, 9:27:53 AM »

Perhaps Fancypants, in particular, will enjoy this post.

Prologue: Online student wanders into my office after taking his final at the testing center. He's one of my older tough guy (possibly a felon), repeating the third year majors course. He earned a very low D last semester in the same course taught in a different format.

Some profs are scared of this particular student, who has been known to really get angry and in the face of faculty and staff on occassion. He is known as a real big chip on the shoulder sort. Since I knew about these incidents (amazing what you learn over lunch with colleagues) I took a firm hand from the beginning. I am always helpful, but firm, and intolerant of rough language or a raised voice from this guy (his previous MO). I think he respected me for that and has come to me for help and advice several times and I've tried to explain my firmness with examples of the importance of professional behavior in our field. I try to be very encouraging to appropriate behavior since I'm extremely discouraging of inappropriate behavior.

Student: Man, that final really was COMPREHENSIVE.

Octo: It wasn't quite comprehensive, but it did cover every learning objective I told you it would.

Student: It was wicked hard.

Octo: If you've come here to complain about the final, think again. You might want to know that I have been shot full of steroids this morning and I'm not in the mood for whining. I'm extra grumpy and b*tchy today.

Student: Actually, I came to check my grade calculations to see if I did them correctly.

Octo: Excellent! Let's find out. <pulls up spreadsheet and reads him the scores listed>

Student: Yup, that's what I have.

Octo: So did you apply the weights in the syllabus to your percentages in the assignment categories? <lists off weights>

Student: Yup, I calculated 75%.

Octo: That is correct. 75.17% actually.

Student: So making a B isn't possible for me, is it?

Octo: To earn a B you'd need an 106% on the final. You did manage a 92% on one exam, so I know you are capable.

Student: Yeah, well, Ive spent too much time helping my girlfriend on that last exam and not enough studying for myself.

So, that's how I figured it. I should only need 45% to get the C, right?

Octo: Pretty much. 41% should do it and we know you can do way better than that. I can see that you are even more capable than your grades suggest. I am glad you've done much better than last term. What turned it around for you?

Student: I actually started caring and making an effort.

Octo: Amazing how that works, eh?

Student: You bet! I've signed up for you <optional advanced course> in the Fall. Is it really full online? and will it be similar to this course, more of same but harder?

Octo: Yes, it really is full online. About one third to one half of the semester will be similar to this course in that we will cover some of the remaining zillion chapters in the huge textbook and have loads of homework problems and similarly structured exams and such. The remainder of the course will be quite different, in fact. You'll do much non-textbook reading and loads of more creative thinking and writing about current developments in the field that are too new and dynamic to be in the textbooks yet and you'll do nocalculations/math-based work in this part [note that this is frightening to accounting majors]. The readings will be provided by PDFs and books on reserve in the library.

Student: Awesome! I'm looking forward to it!

Epilogue: Not a rude word or raised voice from this student. My colleagues think I am a miracle worker. Nope, I just make the ground rules very clear.

More entertaining to me is the fact that I used the exact same exams as last semester (we retain exams, students can visit them in the office, but can't keep them). Student never noticed!  That comprehensive final, same as last term. It's just that last term he didn't know enough to realize it was what it was. 

His grades on four exams and a final last term:
61, 48, 80, 58, 52
This term:
74, 71, 92, 40, 62 (the 40 was the one he said he helped GF study and not himself).

Another fun fact, his non-exam (homework, online quizzes, etc.) average worth 25% of the grade:
Last term: 69%
This term: 89%.

You have to enjoy the small victories... He passed the class. He learned to apply himself and that doing so has rewards. He learned to control his temper and demeanor. He seems to have learned that everything isnt about him. He's learned not onlymhow to,calculate his grade but how to figure out what he needs on the final to achieve a goal (he could not or would not do this last term). He learned a lot of accounting. And, he's interested enough to take the optional unpopular advanced course next fall.

Love your neighbor.
fancypants

« Reply #6268 on: May 04, 2012, 9:53:58 AM »

Perhaps Fancypants, in particular, will enjoy this post.

Thanks, Octo.  Stories like this do give me hope (and help me stick to my metaphorical guns).

llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #6269 on: May 04, 2012, 10:09:47 AM »

Octo, you so rock.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 595
  Print  

Jump to: