• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 9:42:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiring Freeze!  (Read 356523 times)
dellaroux
Bemused
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 8:58:54 AM »

Since many schools' budgets may be based in whole (private) or in part (public schools with departments established or supported by benefactors) on endowment income (not just the endowed chairs) the current fiscal issues facing the world could have an even more glacial effect on hiring decisions.

In other words, it might get....worse....

Just to offer a cheerful observation for the morning's consideration...

Pax in terra choreagibus
Ballo non bello parare

How am I?: There are four levels: Alive, Alert, Awake & Functioning. Right now, I'm standing upright & moving forward.

We are gifted superfluously--the cosmos is more generous than we can ask or imagine.
secretweapon
Onion's Minion and a Vaptastic

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 9:41:38 AM »

Thanks, Dellaroux. 

If you want a cookie, bake a cookie.
smirky

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 4:44:15 PM »

Florida is frozen BUT there are a few good jobs down here - deans and admin are being very careful to approve only the most dire of searches. Example: we got word to put a search out for a rhet/comp person as there is much to be done here (as always) but when we asked for a 19th century lit person, we were practically laughed at.

Good luck all...
baseballfan

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 4:53:49 PM »

Florida is frozen BUT there are a few good jobs down here - deans and admin are being very careful to approve only the most dire of searches. Example: we got word to put a search out for a rhet/comp person as there is much to be done here (as always) but when we asked for a 19th century lit person, we were practically laughed at.

Ditto that. My department in my R1 is doing a search. Nonetheless, for those applying to FL jobs, keep close watch on what happens in January. That's when we'll get our next round of mandatory budget cuts, and some searches could get cut...

prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 6:12:16 PM »

Connecticut is not frozen and I have heard of no rumors that it may freeze, but with the economy the way it is, I wouldn't rule a hiring freeze out.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
samspade

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 11:59:04 PM »

I am not thrilled to hear that Salisbury has a hiring freeze as I am applying for a position they are advertising. As much as I should be sweating over finding a job (I have a one year position that is not renewable, I have to leave) I have decided not to worry over what I can not control. Its my ex-wife who should be worried if I can't find a job.
lerasmus

I am what you might not be.

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 12:44:55 AM »

Maryland is pretty much frozen. A few hires will go through (particularly ones that originate from outside/endowment funding, but also non-TT), but even admin hiring is frozen. It sounds like it may be effectively a 2-year freeze.
larryc
Troll Proof

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 12:47:53 AM »

Washington State has a freeze, but there are loopholes. There are always loopholes.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
abetterview

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008, 9:59:23 AM »

Salisbury is still conducting searches. 
airball
Groom of the Stool &

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008, 1:00:11 PM »

My department (state school) just lost funding for our search.

Sigh. They're also considering salary reductions.

airball

History would kick your ass around the Bodleian Library, and then it would smile and laugh.
-scheherazade
secretweapon
Onion's Minion and a Vaptastic

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 3:01:34 PM »

I hope that schools that cancel searches will update their ads or websites to let candidates know before the deadline.  It's very frustrating to apply to a school and find out a few weeks later that the search was cancelled before the deadline.

If you want a cookie, bake a cookie.
tenured_feminist

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008, 4:25:21 PM »

I hope that schools that cancel searches will update their ads or websites to let candidates know before the deadline.  It's very frustrating to apply to a school and find out a few weeks later that the search was cancelled before the deadline.

They won't. No one wants to advertise that their state has a hiring freeze. I think it's pretty silly -- after all, who's going to hold it against them in this economic climate, and it's sure better than a salary freeze for those who already have jobs -- but there you have it.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
lerasmus

I am what you might not be.

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 9:12:45 PM »

The thing is, at some schools, it's unknown how long the hiring freeze will be for. In some cases, schools will continue with the search, hoping that even if they can't hire the person immediately, they will be able to open the position up in a year, but may not be able to get the funds to do the search a 2nd time, so they have to search now, hire later. It often doesn't work out, and it's the applicants who get screwed, but the logic is not entirely malicious. It's sometimes a choice between an indeterminate and screwed up search now or no search later.
charlie00

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 10:44:27 PM »

Jesus!!! Now I'm regretting I posted this! As if I didn't have enough anxiety already :-)

Colorado is chilly as well...

http://chronicle.com/blogs/architecture/?id=2482
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:41 PM »

My bad. Connecticut's frozen, too.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27
  Print  

Jump to: