• February 8, 2016
February 08, 2016, 3:03:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337]
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners' thread  (Read 569494 times)
scampster
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #5040 on: January 31, 2016, 4:23:17 am »

pink: remind us what your race is?

I had forgotten what thread I clicked on and this was the first sentence and I thought "Gees, why is that relevant to anything?"

I am still doing short little runs, but my calf mostly seems fine. Every once in a while it feels twingey, but I hope that is just it still sorting itself out. I have become very diligent in warming it up before and stretching and rolling it afterward. So fingers crossed!

I also got a new GPS running watch. I decided to give the TomTom a try, after years of a Garmin,  and I think I am happy with it. I hated it at first and it doesn't have all the functionality of the Garmin, but I bought it so I am stuck with it for a while at least. I just wish there was some way to shut off the damn beeping (the internet tells me there isn't if I have any alerts set - say for miles). It buzzes pretty mightily, so I don't need a beep also.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #5041 on: January 31, 2016, 7:13:56 am »

I had the same thought, scamp! What tipped me off was not the thread as much as what I know of the values of the person who wrote it! (Hi, Wren!)

I've been on a break from running for a while to protect my knee. I need to get an MRI to see what's really going on, but I'm getting antsy and missing the wind in my hair. I'm going to try little short runs and be extra good about foam rolling to see how much that helps. (I know my IT band and hamstrings are pretty tight naturally.)

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #5042 on: January 31, 2016, 12:16:24 pm »

Los Angeles marathon on Valentine's Day. I'm really excited because I am a huge runnerd (big shock, I'm sure), and the Olympic Trials race is Sat (the "civilians' marathon is Sunday), so I will get to watch pretty much all of my heroes the day before. My feet are a bit niggly, and I expect them to drive me a bit crazy now that my taper is starting. I have a few more substantial workouts this week, but things have already started to scale back.

canyonwren3

« Reply #5043 on: January 31, 2016, 10:13:14 pm »

pink, that sounds fun (the nerd part), although the thought of running on that much pavement is excruciating to me.  My max is maybe 7 miles on pavement but with great trepidation.  Give me my mudbath and hill-walking. 
Happy taper and getting the niggles to quiet down. 

Here's to all runners no matter how that manifests (5 miles a week, marathoners, on a treadmill, out in the snow and ice, road runners, trail, whatever, including injured, former, or trying to get started runners = we're all runners).

spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #5044 on: Yesterday at 09:48:39 am »

Ten miles today with temps in the mid-20s. Very sunny, hardly any icy patches to watch out for. I am really liking the runner's loop lacing in combination with my orthotics and two pairs of Vitalsox.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #5045 on: Yesterday at 12:44:17 pm »

Glad you found something that works for you Spork--amazing how big of a difference such little changes can make sometimes!

I'm tapering. Which is fine, I guess. But the weird part is that I'm starving. Like all the time! More than when I was running my highest mileage weeks. Trying to just listen to my body and go with it. But it's strange.

canyonwren3

« Reply #5046 on: Yesterday at 02:12:44 pm »

Ha, pink, likewise here - I'm also a week out and have desperate urges to eat piles of cookies. I hate tapering - it makes me very anxious and doubtful that I've trained enough and injuries won't flare up during the race. 
epistephiliac
Could serve monkey ass and empty clam shells and still win

The day needs my saving expertise

« Reply #5047 on: Yesterday at 03:34:28 pm »

I did a 10k today. On flat roads, and I wasn't setting any PRs; I just wanted to do it and have some fun. My last race was that 10-mile trail run a little over a year ago, which ended with severe dehydration and blood pressure and oxygen so low the medics didn't understand how I was still walking, plus a bonus trip to the emergency room.

Last year I did almost no running at all, and I only started training again for real less than a month ago (when I posted about it here), so I'm pretty chuffed. I'm being careful not to overdo it, since my primary goal is to avoid any more running-related ER visits or other injuries, but despite my long hiatus I'm finding it much easier than back when I started from scratch. Muscle memory, maybe. Or sheer stubbornness. Either way, I'll take it.

It's great to be back in the saddle. So to speak.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:35:36 pm by epistephiliac » Logged

When asked about my research interests, I quote Kelly Kapoor: "Basically, everything that is awesome."
canyonwren3

« Reply #5048 on: Yesterday at 07:04:49 pm »

I did a 10k today. On flat roads, and I wasn't setting any PRs; I just wanted to do it and have some fun. My last race was that 10-mile trail run a little over a year ago, which ended with severe dehydration and blood pressure and oxygen so low the medics didn't understand how I was still walking, plus a bonus trip to the emergency room.

Last year I did almost no running at all, and I only started training again for real less than a month ago (when I posted about it here), so I'm pretty chuffed. I'm being careful not to overdo it, since my primary goal is to avoid any more running-related ER visits or other injuries, but despite my long hiatus I'm finding it much easier than back when I started from scratch. Muscle memory, maybe. Or sheer stubbornness. Either way, I'll take it.

It's great to be back in the saddle. So to speak.
Nice work! 
Yes, I think that is an excellent goal for 2016 - no running-related ER visits or injuries.  I'm with you there.  Way to go, epi.
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #5049 on: Yesterday at 11:46:31 pm »

YAY EPI!!!

Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337]
  Print  

Jump to: