• June 27, 2016
June 27, 2016, 3:39:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking Shoes  (Read 2130 times)
parispundit
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 11:58:18 am »

SAS (San Antonio Shoe)
fleabite

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 6:05:55 pm »

SAS (San Antonio Shoe)

+ 1. Very comfortable and wear like iron (spoken by someone who can walk the soles off practically any shoe ever made). They're available in a very wide range of sizes and widths.
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 6:29:32 pm »

My Keens are supposed to arrive today. I hope they aren't too wide--my feet are more on the narrow side.

Thanks for the SAS tip--but I could not pull off those styles.
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 6:33:55 pm »

Thanks for the SAS tip--but I could not pull off those styles.

I take that back. I could totally rock these: https://sasshoes.com/women/women-footwear/women-casual-shoes/womens-tour-mesh-red-multi

statgeek

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 12:02:28 pm »

I have flat, narrow feet.  I've found Ecco, Ahnu, and SAS my best bets for preventing flare-ups of the shin splints and plantar fasciitis I've had in the past.  In general, all three brands hold up well, too. 
minor_t

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 3:29:31 pm »

I love my Naot Aroha shoes - I've walked for miles, including on cobblestones, and found them to be the most comfortable shoes I've owned. If you decide to look for sandals, try Teva Tirra - I've walked many miles in them  and they, too, are very comfortable. The Tirras come in several colors.
zuzu_
Frakking

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 8:00:00 pm »

Yeah I returned the Keens. I have never seen shoes that wide.

Hesitating on those SAS stripey ones due to the steep price. Any online stores where I can get those at a discount?
pink_
Empress &

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 8:13:34 pm »

I've become a Birkenstock girl. I really like the soft footbed, and I have both clogs, shoes, and the familiar Arizona sandal. These are not at all athletic, but they are great for lots of walking or standing, and the shoes are casual but not so casual that I can't wear them for work most of the time.

mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 10:17:32 pm »

My favorite walking shoes are Mephisto. I bought my first pair around 20 years ago. While I don't, and haven't been, wearing them every day since then, I still have them, as well as a couple of other pairs I bought in later years.  I still wear them, and they still look good, feel good, and provide good support--even when I'm on my feet walking all day. And, when they finally don't, any longer? I can send them back to Mephisto and they will refurbish them. I love those shoes. If they're not on sale, you could be looking at up to $400/pair, but the sale shoes (what I linked to) get the same guarantee, and those come in close to your price point. (Which is better than what I was expecting when I checked. I may decide to invest in another pair, myself, now that I've pared down my shoe collection and live next to a walking/biking trail.) I've worn and liked a lot of the shoe brands mentioned here (except Toms--I've wanted to like them, but they seem too flimsy and don't fit me well), but absolutely nothing has come close, overall, to comparing to my Mephistos.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
parispundit

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 8:34:06 am »

Hesitating on those SAS stripey ones due to the steep price. Any online stores where I can get those at a discount?

SAS is hard to find at a discount, UNLESS you are lucky enough to live near one of their company outlet stores. Their website has a list.

After years of listening to women (I'm male) rave about Mephisto, I invested in a pair. Nothing special.   
puget

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 10:48:46 am »

Yes, Keens run wide and Merrells tend to run a bit narrow, so if one fits you well the other almost certainly won't. People I know with wide feet love Keens, but they really don't work for me. I'm a huge Merrell fan since they are the one brand that consistent fits my narrow heel well.

I've got  these bootshttp://www.merrell.com/US/en/captiva-launch-2-waterproof/17321W.html?dwvar_17321W_color=J69152#cgid=women-boots-casual&start=1, which I love for wearing with both skirts and pants during the cool seasons (and which I have walked many miles in comfortably),

And I always have a pair or two of their trail runners for hiking and running plus general wear. I just get a pair of their Mix Master Move Glides (I know, names are a bit ridiculous) and love them so far-- they are a semi-minimalist trail runner and extremely light and comfortable. They do have black if you don't like the ultra-bright colors that are currently the style for running shoes. http://www.merrell.com/US/en/mix-master-move-glide-2/17589W.html?dwvar_17589W_color=J01518#cgid=womens-trail-running&start=1

I will probably end up getting a pair or two of their non-sport shoes for work wear this fall now that I have a faculty job and have to dress like a grown up (at least sort of).
alleyoxenfree

Countin' all these posts as publications

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2016, 1:57:33 pm »

I'm now wearing brands I never knew before, all from a local walking store. They include Vionic (runners/walkers), Aetrex (cute sandals), and Olukai (flip flops).  Also some Danskos.

Salomon, the ski boot maker, now makes running shoes or light hikers, and they are much better than my Keens ever were. I think it's a company seriously interested in the architecture of the foot and avoiding injury.
nebo113

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 2:28:18 pm »

Suggestions for narrow foot, size 10?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: