• October 13, 2015
October 13, 2015, 2:33:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Stop me from replying to this student  (Read 1647 times)
The artist formerly known as

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 5:31:57 pm »

+1 larryc

In these situations (which occur with relative frequency) I'll usually wait until the next class day, then ask the student before class if his/her issue was resolved. This makes clear that 1) I will reply only once, 2) the responsibility for all technical issues will be with the student and not the prof, and 3) I care that the student learns independent thinking and problem solving rather than how to waste a perfectly delightful weekend on useless negotiations.

Have a fun and e-mail free weekend :)

"I dreamt once of ice-cream
And cadavers and all those
Wonderful things that poetry
Spoke of so long ago" ...
If you are reading this, I am naked.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 4:41:22 pm »

Do you have something like this "study tips" document available for all students to read? In the future when complaint #1 is arrives in your inbox, you wait a day or so and reply by referencing the link to the document.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
Shouldn't I be writing?

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 5:50:17 pm »

That's a useful link. This is a face to face class with only the homework via BBoard, but the tips would be useful even just for that.

My department has a partially online degree program so I'll share that with my faculty.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 5:50:49 pm by yeastie » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Jump to: