• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 9:20:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 208
  Print  
Author Topic: Manuscript Writers Support Thread  (Read 559676 times)
tenured_cat
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: May 12, 2008, 2:13:11 PM »

Today is the first day of my summer. Grades are turned in, complaints have begun, and I'm hiding at home planning my summer writing schedule.

To do, in order of ease:
- conference paper for June (oh, please)
- methods course for Fall (o.k., so not writing, but class prep)
- journal paper from data collected in spring (not a clue where I'm going with this)
- hopefully a revise & resubmit for an article that's right now being torn apart by reviewers (If you are reading this, please be gentle!)
- and, the big one (the one that supposedly will bring me the holy grail, tenure), a book manuscript. Got the material, now I need to make it make sense. This is my first book (the only?) and I have probably absolutely no clue. Am ordering Germano from amazon and, no, never published my diss - way too late now. I think it was Csar Chavez who said that the advantage of the amateur is that she has no clue why it can't be done (am rephrasing, but that's the gist).

Anybody else dedicating their summer to writing? On your first book? Any other major project? Shall we keep each other company?

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 4:00:43 PM »

Hi catontrack!

My summer too is devoted to a book, a collection and a bunch of other writing things. I tried declaring June the new Academic Writing Month on my blog, but no one took the bait. I'll happily keep you company, as long as we don't have to do all of that formatting stuff they do on the Paralysis Analysis thread. Deal?

I'm trying to get three big book chapters done, a collection edited, and a collection chapter written. Today I'm picking up the pieces after a weekend away, but then it's onto the first of those three chapters for me.

I came. I saw. I cited.
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 4:06:42 PM »

Here I am.  I too am doing (some chapters of) a book, and need to get a lot done this summer while time is available.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
tenured_cat

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 4:10:04 PM »

Yeah!

And I like the idea of the "Academic Writing Month" - well, at least this year :)

I'm currently collecting citation-worthy sentences from "not-so-important" sources; an easy way to get the book pile slimmed down. And my "must get this - it would fit so neatly with this" list is growing.

On Preview:

Hi, conjugate! Join the Month!

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous
wanna_writemore

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 6:09:37 PM »

I'll join in.  I'm currently working on an R&R (as I mentioned on the PA thread, much overdue).  I also have a conference paper to revise this summer, another article planned to write next year, and a book manuscript to think about (on a topic that I'm familiar with, but a completely different side of it).  I'll be in FarAway doing research for about 8 weeks, and hoping to do a lot of writing before I leave and a little writing while I'm there during non-archive/library hours/days.
tenured_cat

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 6:30:19 PM »

Well, I've given up for today. I got through two books and one article for citations; the next three books and, oh, I think three articles are too close to the topic and will have either too many citations or too much rephrasing to tackle them now. I think I know what will go into which chapter (this is for the book, obviously), but there's a lot of room for overlap.

Being in FarAway sounds good, wanna_writemore. Can you get more specific as to continent?

rekishi

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 6:36:31 PM »

I will be editing and proofreading my manuscript (the old dissertation) all summer long. I just got a letter from a publisher that they want to see the full version. It took them only two weeks to respond, so I was caught off guard . . . I was expecting to wait a month or longer.

Anyhow, the invitation listed some things they are expecting when the manuscript is submitted. This means the early months of the summer will be devoted to inputing new research, smoothing out the writing, and pulling out whatever hair is left. No rest for the wicked!
tenured_cat

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 6:39:27 PM »

That's great, Rekishi! But this kind of being wicked is good for you!

history_grrrl

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 7:00:12 PM »

Count me in! I'm revising my diss and need to have the whole manuscript done by the end of the summer (I'm on leave in the fall, but I am committed to this "end of summer" deadline). I finished chapter 1 and am now on chapter 2 (there are five chapters, an epilogue, and an intro that I will need to completely rewrite at the end). I'll be out of town for a month in mid-summer, but my goal is to get through chapter 3 by the time I leave. Here's hoping! (And obviously, I need a lot more than hope.) I also want to turn two presentations into article, preferably before I leave town.

A lot of mixed messages are floating around right now about what's required for tenure, so my plan is to aim high.

Thanks for starting this thread.

tenured_cat

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 7:52:02 PM »

A lot of mixed messages are floating around right now about what's required for tenure, so my plan is to aim high.

There was no mixing of my tenure messages. It's a clear order: Publish a book. So, here I am, dusting off the old manuscript, rewriting the whole thing from scratch (mainly because I can't decipher anymore which are verbatim citations and which is my text - dumb, I know, but in the first draft I used a lot of quotation marks to mark "so-called" concepts), and starting a thread to keep me company.

reader
Just a Regular Run-of-the-Mill

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 9:08:45 PM »

Me too!  I've got a book I hope to complete in 10 months, and I also have an R&R I'd like to finish this month. 

Good luck to everyone.

...out of the books of others we sift a book of our own, wherein we read the lessons we need to hear. -- John Updike
tenured_cat

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 9:17:28 PM »

Well, living up to my name, I think we should try to check in here with progress or procrastination reports to keep each other "on track." Since I'm working at home on all this, with occasional visits to the office for library visits and paystub checks, I'm having enough fun to put in a good five to seven hours a day - but I will take weekends off!

Because there's also the lights I want to install under a kitchen cabinet, the window frames I want to paint, the screen door opener I want to replace, and I just have to get an electrician, darn it. I think there's only one here in TinyTown, though.

Good grief, by August I will be so exhausted, I'll need a vacation.

wanderer
I Don't Re-

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »

I'm in!  I have an article to submit (first time) and I want to begin submitting book proposals and reivsing the diss. 
sciencephd

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 11:40:55 PM »

Latest and greatest manuscript stalled for four months because of ******** collaborators.

I hope nobody notices that all of my talk abstracts for the next several months are almost identical.  Re-purposing, not plagiarizing myself.

I just hate it that I constantly have to like everyone and everything. -- moonstone

O, what a hateful feminist concoction!
Jews, communists, "lesbians", feminists and marihuana addicts  --Pyshnov
tenured_cat

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:39 PM »

Make sure you change the title, the first, and the last paragraph. Who has time to read the middle?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 208
  Print  

Jump to: