• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:58:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans Safety - Important  (Read 54703 times)
oseph
Embracing the crazy
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: February 23, 2008, 4:29:49 AM »

My family is considering taking academic jobs in New Orleans.  We would be working Uptown (Tulane/Loyola) and living in Metairie.  I have lived in a dangerous city before, so I am familiar with safety issues and street smarts.  I've had friends murdered on the street, I know about stray gunfire and home invasions, I get it.  My impression of New Orleans after visiting recently is that chances are good that we would be fine, sticking to Uptown and Metairie, not wandering around at night, driving on major streets, no shortcuts or exploring, etc.  Now a close family member has gotten terribly upset at the idea of our moving to New Orleans -- we will die, our children (whom we plan to send to private schools) will grow up uneducated and ignorant, we will get trapped in the city during a hurricane -- you get the point.  Is this a realistic picture?  Can some New Orleans residents chime in and reassure me?  Am I being naive?

Oseph....you are right and you make sense.

For your future comments, I insult very directly.
latis

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 5:04:45 AM »

I don't know much about living in New Orleans, but as far as hurricanes go, people do not normally get "trapped" if they have the resources and sense to leave during a mandatory evacuation.
This is true even in a place like the Florida Keys that has one 127 mile long road out.

If people are unfortunate to live in Houston and its environs under Houston Mayor Bill White, as many were during the Hurricane Rita evacuation, then, yes, they can become trapped on the highway.

tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 1:49:50 AM »

The Loyola-Tulane area is as safe as any campus, more or less, in the United States, which still means that situational awareness is important, walking in dark areas isn't smart, etc. Your experience will help you improve your safety here. New Orleans is a great city that needs good smart people--I wouldn't let the crime rate deter anyone from working or living here. Personally, I'd prefer to live in NO than in Metarie, and would be more nervous about the next hurricane than about crime. (I am visiting family in NO as I write this, and have had, as usual, a great time here, although I've stuck to the "safer" neighborhoods).

The distribution of crime is uneven in NOLA: The Garden District, Uptown, etc., are far less prone to crime, and there's a strong ethnic and racial bias, if you will, where whites are far less likely to be victims than blacks, but I suspect this is highly correlated with socioeconomic status. None of this makes the situation "right," instead, it simply suggests that crime patterns here are similar to other cities. And we really don't know what the crime rate is in Orleans Parish, because we don't really have reliable population numbers.

My advice--come to New Orleans! It's a great city!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 1:55:30 AM by tee_bee » Logged
born2late
I often times wish I had bought Grandpa's farm and stayed on the land. Instead I'm an underemployed

Often referred to as an "interesting individual"

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 2:26:07 PM »

I lived there 3 years, in the Gentilly area. I've been through the lower 9th ward late at night too, albeit with the doors locked. Try living over near UNO by the lake, if you can afford it. Try living out in Chalmette. That's only about 30 minutes from the CBD.

"nothing says headed towards the margins of society like learning the banjo"

Quando omni flunkus moritati
dr_nadine

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 5:22:37 PM »

I've spent a lot of time in NOLA since Katrina, mostly in the 9th Ward (staying in Marigny and Bywater--and I go through the Lower 9 like I do anywhere else) and have faculty friends there.  You can "stick to" a lot more than Uptown and Metairie.  I know fac who live in the Garden D, Central City, Gentilly, Marigny, Broadmoor, New Orleans East (if you want to stay in Orleans Parish).  Chalmette was under a lot of water, and St. Bernard in general has fewer than 1/2 its pre-K population right now.   

Check out www.gnocdc.org for pre-K demographics and post-K updates if you want some info you can assess based on your own tolerance for racial and class differences.
oseph
Embracing the crazy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 9:13:55 PM »

I've spent a lot of time in NOLA since Katrina, mostly in the 9th Ward (staying in Marigny and Bywater--and I go through the Lower 9 like I do anywhere else) and have faculty friends there.  You can "stick to" a lot more than Uptown and Metairie.  I know fac who live in the Garden D, Central City, Gentilly, Marigny, Broadmoor, New Orleans East (if you want to stay in Orleans Parish).  Chalmette was under a lot of water, and St. Bernard in general has fewer than 1/2 its pre-K population right now.   

Check out www.gnocdc.org for pre-K demographics and post-K updates if you want some info you can assess based on your own tolerance for racial and class differences.

Thanks -- we are not intolerant people.  The issue is that we will have a newborn, and as someone who grew up in a dangerous town, with several close friends murdered due to random violent crime, we are trying to balance our desire for diversity with our desire not to get mugged with an infant in arms.

Oseph....you are right and you make sense.

For your future comments, I insult very directly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: