• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 2:21:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1011
  Print  
Author Topic: Job market check-in thread  (Read 2176811 times)
histchick

« Reply #11970 on: May 03, 2012, 9:37:33 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(sending good vibes to data and histchick)

Right back at you, leobloom, and congrats to labrat! 

Heck, things are moving again at our place.  The TT position for which I am being considered just may be in play after all.  Go figure...with fingers crossed!

Of course I will!  In fact, let me brush off a little for you right now...

We have no idea what's happening over here, but apparently the dream is still alive. 

Well this is great news! When you're done with your fairy dust, will you sprinkle some over here?
spaceman

« Reply #11971 on: May 04, 2012, 9:51:27 AM »

Hello Guys!!! Anyone can help me/ inform me about PhD Programs in KAUST Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? Plz, I may apply and I wanted to know about the life in Campus and Salaries. I come from EUROPE Thanks a lot..
brixton
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #11972 on: May 04, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »

You'd probably have better luck if you posted this in the "Working Abroad" section of the forum.  That's where people with non stateside knowledge are apt to look.
petunia621

« Reply #11973 on: May 04, 2012, 4:47:27 PM »

Demo Tuesday. EEEP!
yeastie

« Reply #11974 on: May 04, 2012, 7:17:52 PM »

Thanks- and much luck to everyone else... even if you're competing against me! :)

I haven't done a real interview in 8 years... yikes!
westcoastgirl

« Reply #11975 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »

Hello Guys!!! Anyone can help me/ inform me about PhD Programs in KAUST Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? Plz, I may apply and I wanted to know about the life in Campus and Salaries. I come from EUROPE Thanks a lot..

If this is a serious post, you should google "life in Saudia." Surely you must know by now that things are quite different there.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
apollo
I carry this card everywhere I go, because I'm a

« Reply #11976 on: May 08, 2012, 1:33:01 PM »

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!  I did not get [Dream Freaking Job].  This sucks. 

Well, getting ready for next interview and a late one just popped up on the jobs search....so, work to do. 

Moving on.....sigh...
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #11977 on: May 08, 2012, 2:37:01 PM »

Twenty-two minutes after getting the "no" e-mail after the last Skype interview, another one popped in my e-mail box. Already did the interview, but I still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile I'm taking a look into the Praxis tests and alternative teaching license programs. This is definitely not my year. I did a lot of what I could have done, with little result. Good luck to all of you still in the race.
mazerunner

« Reply #11978 on: May 08, 2012, 4:16:50 PM »

Just had an interview in which the SC told me that they were losing their graduate degree program because of state budget cuts.  So all the current graduate students are the last ones.  This means the successful candidate would be dealing exclusively with undergraduates.  Oh, and I was also told that more than a quarter of the faculty had been laid off because of budgetary reasons. Not cool.  The interview went reasonably well, but I think I'll stay put.  I'd rather not deal with that level of uncertainty, even if the position is tenure-track.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #11979 on: May 08, 2012, 8:27:39 PM »

Riddle me this:

There is a VAP position that looks oh so good. I've got a phone interview with the place which makes me excited.
BUT
Fiddling around on the uni website I found the course listings for the department for next year. There is a course for my period with a fancy title and very specific details.  There is only one course specific to the period each semester. The details, that is, the focus of the course, suggest that someone came up with the course description according to their very narrow interests. The description or topics covered are not commonly covered by people in our field.

Could it be that there is someone already ready to go for the position? Is my interview pro forma so that the dept can look like they had a search?

Aaaah, the paranoias of the jobsearch.

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
grasshopper

Grade Despot

« Reply #11980 on: May 08, 2012, 9:02:09 PM »

Riddle me this:

There is a VAP position that looks oh so good. I've got a phone interview with the place which makes me excited.
BUT
Fiddling around on the uni website I found the course listings for the department for next year. There is a course for my period with a fancy title and very specific details.  There is only one course specific to the period each semester. The details, that is, the focus of the course, suggest that someone came up with the course description according to their very narrow interests. The description or topics covered are not commonly covered by people in our field.

Could it be that there is someone already ready to go for the position? Is my interview pro forma so that the dept can look like they had a search?

No. What it means is that they got the funding for the line after the course offerings were posted for early registration.

STOP THAT.

sadiesmom

« Reply #11981 on: May 09, 2012, 1:50:40 AM »

If the listing came up this late, it's likely a replacement hire--i/e., someone's going on maternity leave, taking an emergency leave, was denied tenure & has thrown in the towel, or accepted another position, and their course listing was already written & scheduled. If you can teach the course, this could be a lucky set of circumstances to find yourself in. Worst case, the person returns and you leave with a strong line on your Vita. Best case, maybe you'll be stepping in to fill a gap that will turn into a t-t search, and you'll have your foot in the door.
seniorscholar

« Reply #11982 on: May 09, 2012, 9:22:01 AM »

If the listing came up this late, it's likely a replacement hire--i/e., someone's going on maternity leave, taking an emergency leave, was denied tenure & has thrown in the towel, or accepted another position, and their course listing was already written & scheduled.

This sounds at least 50% likely to me. Our course listings for fall 2012 had to be submitted in November 2011 (the deadline always has people thinking fast over Thanksgiving when they realize it's due on the Monday after) in order to make both the printed and online catalogue and be ready for advance registration in March. Much can happen between November and May; and even a slightly different course that fills the same slot could probably be acceptable -- though if possible, don't propose one that was taught in fall 2011, since majors generally need a spread of courses in their favorite area, especially if the offerings = one per semester and they plan on applying to grad school.
yeastie

« Reply #11983 on: May 11, 2012, 7:22:31 AM »

Riddle me this:

BUT

As others have said, the fall schedule most likely has been in place for months now. I'm currently working on Spring 2013! It is possible that it is a late add to the schedule, but I'd assume they would wait until after the hire to add it, if it was a targeted course.

As said before, very likely it's a last minute replacement- for all the different reasons already articulated, including someone taking a admin role for a year and they need someone to cover the class, quick.
timurid

« Reply #11984 on: May 11, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »

I had two phone interviews last week, (including one that I was sure I had outright aced) but 10 days have passed and the crickets win again.

I have one more phone interview scheduled next week (for a visiting position).

I have about half a dozen applications left in queue with early April deadlines. Assuming everyone plans to be done with their searches by finals week, that may be it for the season, absent a few schools on the quarter system or those struck by some sudden crisis.

I will not be renewed at my current position due to a hiring freeze in place (affecting all lines other than adjuncts and including renewals as well as new hires).

I can see the ground coming up at me very fast now...

Just to update this:

It turns out I will live to fight another day job season after all...

I have been offered and accepted a full time (4/4), non-tt instructor position at a second-tier state university.
It took a while to bear fruit, but the phone interview mentioned above really was all aces...
Pages: 1 ... 797 798 [799] 800 801 ... 1011
  Print  

Jump to: