• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 11:53:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 180
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluffy Faculty Forum  (Read 705745 times)
wd813

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 3:21:58 PM »

Within the last year and a half I have lost approximately sixty pounds.  However, I think I have gained back about ten.  I really restricted my carb intake and then gradually added carbs back in until I felt I was maintaining my weight.  I'd actually like to lost about thirty more, but that would require exercise.  God, I hate exercise........

When I weigh myself often,(doesn't work for everybody) I maintain my weight.  When I don't, the scale goes up and up and up.

I do miss carbs, alot, but I don't totally restrict them now because I know I would be doomed!
extinct

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 3:45:14 PM »

Hypnosis worked for me.

malvolio

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 3:46:52 PM »

Weight watchers. It works and it works long term.

I'll be revenged on the whole pack of you!
fiona
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 3:49:13 PM »

Deciding I look fine the way I am works for me.

There's much too much self-hatred and starvation going on. It's boring and self-destructive, and it never ends. You'll never be satisfied.

Unless you've got a very serious health problem (and those are rare), what's pushed on us as "healthy" is really a manipulation of beauty standards to make women (and some men) feel inadequate.

Don't fall for it.

The Fiona

The Fiona or Them FionŠ or Fiona the Sublime

Professor of Thread Killing, Fiork University
qrypt
Qryptacular & not really a Member-Moderator

I just LOVE that VOICE. It's so NICE

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 4:50:48 PM »

Doesn't the practice of incessantly weighing oneself produce stress and anxiety, making you want to eat? 

"Kick ass! If somebody tries to stop the march to democracy, we will seek them out and kill them! Our will is being tested, but we are resolute. We have a better way. Stay strong! Stay the course! Kill them! Be confident! We are going to wipe them out! We are not blinking!"
georgia_guy
Sardonic

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 4:57:26 PM »

I found that using a calorie diary worked well. For 4 months, I wrote down everything I ate, and recorded the calories. My target was 1800 calories a day. Over a 4 month period, I lost about 40 pounds (which was close to 20% of my body mass).

I learned a LOT about what foods to avoid by doing that, which helps once you stop keeping the diary.

I'm the bad guy? How'd that happen
illuminata

Sneak, snark, snuk.

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 5:32:20 PM »

Deciding I look fine the way I am works for me.

There's much too much self-hatred and starvation going on. It's boring and self-destructive, and it never ends. You'll never be satisfied.

Unless you've got a very serious health problem (and those are rare), what's pushed on us as "healthy" is really a manipulation of beauty standards to make women (and some men) feel inadequate.

Don't fall for it.

The Fiona

I agree with your general sentiment, Fiona. However, extra weight (even as little as 10% of the total) can greatly increase a person's risk for diabetes, stroke, heart disease, and some cancers. I dearly wish that was not so, but it is.
There is also the matter of my tight pants. I can't buy all new ones, so I must de-fluff. And, I do *not* like feeling fluffy. As we say down south, I'm feeling like 10lbs of sh!t in a 5lb sack. Not pretty.
So, I shall slim, but I totally support your choice not to.

Playing tennis with grenades.
merce
strange attractor

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 5:43:20 PM »

I found that using a calorie diary worked well. For 4 months, I wrote down everything I ate, and recorded the calories. My target was 1800 calories a day. Over a 4 month period, I lost about 40 pounds (which was close to 20% of my body mass).

I learned a LOT about what foods to avoid by doing that, which helps once you stop keeping the diary.

That's probably the feature I liked best about Sparkpeople.com.

Did you know granola is ridiculous fat?

I thought it was healthy.

Granola, ya know, like granolas who are always health-conscious.

who'd a thunk?

spammer 
Profuse gift offerings to garnish your day.
wild_rose
Looking back, I laugh at what I feared in the past, and hope for greater courage in the future.

The thrill of modern postism!

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 7:26:08 PM »

I went on the "no way am I eating that" diet on my research travel. Between the tropical heat and the gross food, I lost a few pounds and kept up my motivation through the summer.

That wouldn't have worked for me. Polynesian food isn't all that bad! But DANG you can put on the pounds - I gained almost 20 when I was there.

I'll bring palusami to the PNW meetup. You'll see what I mean.

"[M]y toast just landed jelly side up so I think that bodes well for averting world-ending disasters.  I have faith in bread although the toasted aspect may mean you're going to have withstand some heat for a brief time and some aloe jelly will come in handy." --Notaprof, the Great Seer
mssdoc

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 8:25:55 PM »

Well, chalk me up as another who gained the Freshman 15 (OK, 30) when I took the new TT job in 2000.  I lost 15 of that last year, working out like a demon, but I really still need to lose 25 more.

Maybe we on this forum could set up a LHC-like support system?  I think I'd lose a bit better if I had to 'fess up to folks after I communed with Ben and Jerry.

I can bogart anything.
tamiam

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 8:42:36 PM »

A certain forumite would make it her personal mission to kill it, and the whole thread would devolve into a discussion that goes thusly:

"You're all being deluded by an establishment that wants to make money off your insecurities. Start feeling good about yourself now. Plus, you're all boring"

"Hey, I just want to be healthier and I'm looking for support with people I already communicate with"

"Anti-feminist twit"

"Fatso"

And then it will get really nasty. Trust me on this one. It's been done. Look up the old threads. (Ducks and runs for cover....)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 8:43:01 PM by tamiam » Logged

Hey look! I have a tag line too!
wild_rose
Looking back, I laugh at what I feared in the past, and hope for greater courage in the future.

The thrill of modern postism!

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 8:46:13 PM »

I hate to say it, Tam, but you're probably right. Sad.

"[M]y toast just landed jelly side up so I think that bodes well for averting world-ending disasters.  I have faith in bread although the toasted aspect may mean you're going to have withstand some heat for a brief time and some aloe jelly will come in handy." --Notaprof, the Great Seer
tamiam

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 8:52:28 PM »

I have a distinct memory of an old thread that hung around for a while, even with all that sniping, until someone posted about having lost a great deal of weight and being happy with herself at 150 pounds or so, and another poster kept on after her about how that was just too fat, she was deluding herself, blah blah. It was really sick. I don't know how to search for it.

This is not the place to seek consistent support. Not that the people aren't well-meaning, but they're so used to arguing their point and picking apart the other points of view, that all conversations tend to turn into debates. (Almost all. The LHC'ers seem to avoid that pitfall; I don't know how.)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 8:52:51 PM by tamiam » Logged

spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 8:54:49 PM »

Polynesian food isn't all that bad! But DANG you can put on the pounds - I gained almost 20 when I was there.

The traditional diet of Polynesian commoners was quite healthy -- fish, taro, etc.  The royalty got to eat pig and other goodies, which is why they were so fat.  Put any Polynesian on a Western diet of KFC and Coca-Cola, and the results are disastrous.  Genetically they can't handle it.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
tamiam

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 9:08:21 PM »

Polynesian food isn't all that bad! But DANG you can put on the pounds - I gained almost 20 when I was there.

The traditional diet of Polynesian commoners was quite healthy -- fish, taro, etc.  The royalty got to eat pig and other goodies, which is why they were so fat.  Put any Polynesian on a Western diet of KFC and Coca-Cola, and the results are disastrous.  Genetically they can't handle it.

Fish and taro are why I lost weight. Yuck. I'm just not a fish eater. A little bit to be polite, and fill up on the taro and cassava, or rice if I'm somewhere else. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 180
  Print  

Jump to: