• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 10:46:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 3615
  Print  
Author Topic: The venting thread  (Read 4892998 times)
malvolio

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 8:42:07 AM »

Everytime I hear the song, "1985," I get flashbacks. I think that was a good year. Not sure. I did graduate high school and start college. But lordy, the teenage years are ones I do NOT want to repeat!

Oh I agree! I loved the late 80s simply because I was in college, not high school. High school really was hell.

But it would take an act of God to get me back into skinny jeans and shoulder pads. *Shudder*

I'll be revenged on the whole pack of you!
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 9:01:47 AM »

Yellow, I'm sorry but Tears for Fears is just not in the category of heinousness as Hall and Oates (who really had their heyday in the 70s, anyway) and Flock of Seagulls (which my friends and I referred to as "Flock of Birdturds" at the time).  Tears for Fears is actually kind of real.

Besides, "Everybody wants to rule the world" is the theme song of university administration.

If you think being a child of the 80s was scarring, you should have been in college then....

I was in high school and college then.  You see my plight.

But yes, upon reflection, Tears for Fears were in a different category.  And even Men Without Hats had some interesting songs (if you looked past their one "hit").

A smackdown right now:  anybody who can remember all the lyrics to both Dream Academy's "Northern Town" and Aha's "Take on Me."  No Googling, no cheating.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
yellowtractor
Vice-Provost of the University of the South-East Corner of Donkeyshire (formerly Donkeyshire Polytechnic) (a Post-1992 University) and also a

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 9:02:56 AM »

Sorry, Vardahilwen.  I have hijacked your thread.  Perhaps we should migrate to another.  For some reason, yesterday, "venting" and "the '80s" seemed synonymous to me.

It is, of course, possible that what I remember as terror was only a love too great to bear.
dr_stones
We broke a six-pack in the store to get just one

пошлите законоведами пушки и деньг

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2007, 9:05:30 AM »

Yellow, I'm sorry but Tears for Fears is just not in the category of heinousness as Hall and Oates (who really had their heyday in the 70s, anyway) and Flock of Seagulls (which my friends and I referred to as "Flock of Birdturds" at the time).  Tears for Fears is actually kind of real.

Besides, "Everybody wants to rule the world" is the theme song of university administration.

If you think being a child of the 80s was scarring, you should have been in college then....

But yes, upon reflection, Tears for Fears were in a different category.  And even Men Without Hats had some interesting songs (if you looked past their one "hit").

A smackdown right now:  anybody who can remember all the lyrics to both Dream Academy's "Northern Town" and Aha's "Take on Me."  No Googling, no cheating.

IBID.

Swamp rock carried me through until I picked up Jimmy Buffett and David Alan Coe and starting playing that stuff . . . but we also got REM, B-52s, and U2, so it wasn't all bad.

"History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme." Samuel "Steroid Free" Clemens
bio_prof_

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 9:34:44 AM »

Today is not going well. I should just STFU.

That's all for now.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »

Today is not going well. I should just STFU.

In a discussion about venting?! No way.

VENT! Let it out. Get pi$$ed off about someone or something.

My mother died a few years ago and still had some bills. One was for Sam's Club. She hadn't shopped there for some time but she had the membership dues for a few months. Once I got my head on straight about everything, I paid it but only through her final month. I called them (and wrote them) explaining why I was only paying through her final month. Any reasonable company would have simply waved the few dollars.

And that's what three different customer service reps told me. And the bills kept coming. I finally sent them a letter which basically had-

"She's dead! Do you understand me? She's dead. if you didn't understand it the first few times, I'll write again-

SHE'S DEAD!"

And on and explaining that multiple people had told me they would take care of it.

It's now been sold at least three times to different collection agencies. To one, I simply told them that she's dead. Sue her. Another promised they would take care of it. And it was sold again.

And I refuse to shop at Sam's Club because of their incompetence.

Vent over.

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
vardahilwen
One of the cool kids

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2007, 11:17:50 AM »

I also had a negative experience recently at a Sam's Club and will never shop there.  A new Sam's Club was built in my town.  As I was curious as to what kind of merchandise they carried and whether a membership would be for me, I decided to go and check it out.

The moment I walked in the door, I was accosted by two employees standing on either side of the door.  "Ma'am?  MA'AM?" 

"Yes?"

"May we see your membership card please?"

"I don't have one.  I just came to walk through and see what you have."  (Starting to walk away).

"MA'AM!"  (I stop in my tracks.  One of the two door police comes toward me, flapping a piece of cardboard in his hands).  "This is a one-day pass.  It allows those without memberships to shop at member prices for one day.  You must carry it with you."

"But I just wanted to walk through the store before I decide if I'm going to buy anything."

"Ma'am, this is a MEMBERSHIP BUSINESS.  You cannot come in here and just WALK THROUGH THE STORE without having a MEMBERSHIP."

Well, that was the end of that.  How do they expect to get any new "members" this way?  By the way, the place looked pretty empty of customers.

Vardahilwen

You can sit at my lunch table.
zarathustra
Because the Chron says I'm a

Procrastifabulous by nature.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 11:23:31 AM »

"Take on me
Take me on
I'll be strong
(then a bunch of high notes)"

That's it, isn't it?

Don't know Dream Academy...I'm going to iTune it right now.

The Squishiest!
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »

I'm venting because I can't find my AHa cassette.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
zarathustra

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 11:27:43 AM »

"Take on me
Take me on
I'll be strong
(then a bunch of high notes)"

That's it, isn't it?

Don't know Dream Academy...I'm going to iTune it right now.

Oh THAT's that song...I could never hear the lyrics becase the "HayMomom" or whatever was always disproportionately (sp?) loud to the actual lyrics.

The Squishiest!
vardahilwen
One of the cool kids

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »

I'm venting because I can't find my AHa cassette.

That's a sign from Above that you should listen to something else ;)

You can sit at my lunch table.
smurfette

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 11:35:11 AM »

Neither my apartment nor Smurf's have gas stoves. That is highly annoying.
walker_percy

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 11:36:22 AM »

I hate it when I sweat. I hate having a less than clean feeling butt. Guys you know what I mean.
zarathustra

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 11:39:23 AM »

Yesterday I walked into an antiques stores with a cup of ice-cream. I asked if may enter with the ice-cream. I was told, "yes, as long as you don't eat it."
Heh?  Her not-so-helpful customer said "Just take it outside."

Yeah, thanks, I will...and not come back.

Just put up a sign that says "No food or drink, please." Please!

The Squishiest!
smurfette

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 11:52:51 AM »

Yesterday I walked into an antiques stores with a cup of ice-cream. I asked if may enter with the ice-cream. I was told, "yes, as long as you don't eat it."
Heh?  Her not-so-helpful customer said "Just take it outside."

Yeah, thanks, I will...and not come back.

Just put up a sign that says "No food or drink, please." Please!

I guess they thought it was better for you not to eat it, but just let it melt and drip all over their antiques??? Some people...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 3615
  Print  

Jump to: