• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 4:56:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy and Hold Stocks  (Read 53144 times)
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2010, 6:32:44 AM »

In case anyone is wondering, here's a blurb from TIAA-CREF:

"If you have a Retirement Annuity (RA) contract, the TIAA annuity contract does not allow lump-sum cash withdrawals from the TIAA Traditional Annuity and transfers must be spread out in ten annual installments."

Since I have about 25 years until retirement, I can put money in, pull it out as the economy recovers, and then put it back in a few years before retirement.

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
aristotelian

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2012, 11:44:41 AM »

Bumping this thread. Are people buying any stocks these days? I have a small amount in my IRA and am looking to maybe add another. I currently have GOOG, JPM, T, AMX. Recently sold FDO to take profits. Looking to add an industrial...maybe CAT? Recommendations welcome.
dalekk

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »

Bumping this thread. Are people buying any stocks these days? I have a small amount in my IRA and am looking to maybe add another. I currently have GOOG, JPM, T, AMX. Recently sold FDO to take profits. Looking to add an industrial...maybe CAT? Recommendations welcome.

VTI
parispundit

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2012, 2:18:50 PM »

Emerging Markets trackers
spork

« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2012, 6:47:41 AM »

I dumped JPM long ago and am so glad I did:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/12/business/jpmorgan-chase-fought-rule-on-risky-trading.html?_r=1&ref=global-home&pagewanted=all

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
pokemon

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »

I started buying stocks about 18 months ago through a Scottrade account. I have a sort of informal investment club going with my SO. I have a small amount of Apple, Skyworks, Amazon, Netflix, CCI, and Qualcomm. Overall, my gain is 9.85%. I bought 4 shares of Netflix when the stock went down after the controversy over the price of membership and CD/streaming split. It did OK for a while but they've continued to have problems and now the value is down considerably from when I bought it.
pigou

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2012, 6:43:38 PM »

Professorpaint: you may want to consider ditching individual stocks and looking at ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) instead. The return on individual stocks is much less predictable, so you're taking on a greater risk. ETFs have the same holdings as index funds, but in many cases come with even lower administrative funds and are easier to buy and sell (same liquidity as stocks). You can buy them through Scottrade, too. You may want to look at the previously mentioned VTI as well as at VXUS.
aristotelian

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2012, 7:36:20 PM »

Professorpaint: you may want to consider ditching individual stocks and looking at ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) instead. The return on individual stocks is much less predictable, so you're taking on a greater risk. ETFs have the same holdings as index funds, but in many cases come with even lower administrative funds and are easier to buy and sell (same liquidity as stocks). You can buy them through Scottrade, too. You may want to look at the previously mentioned VTI as well as at VXUS.

The subject of the thread is Buy and Hold Stocks. We are not seeking advice on mutual funds.

That said, as someone with JPM in my portfolio, I am glad that I only have about 2% of my portfolio in stocks. Ouch!

oldadjunct

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »

The subject of the thread is Buy and Hold Stocks. We are not seeking advice on mutual funds.

That said, as someone with JPM in my portfolio, I am glad that I only have about 2% of my portfolio in stocks. Ouch!

There is very little practical difference between stocks and mutual funds for the individual investor when it comes to the buy and hold strategy.  I was an active investor (not a day trader) through most of the 90's while being rather passive on a mutual fund during that time.  I have since become exceedingly passive on individual stocks while becoming more active (unwinding) a particularly large holding in a mutual fund that no longer suits my purposes.

Any particular mutual fund is a company regardless of its fund family, Berkshire Hathaway is essentially a mutual fund after all. that happens to hold equity/bond positions.

I hope you are not saying that you have only 2% in equities when you say you have only 2% in stocks, if you do and it works for you fine, but for most folks under 7-figure retirement portfolios it is probably a bad idea..  My goal was  to be so wealthy that I, like some friends and Al Franken, would have all my money in treasury bonds.  I never made it to that level, perhaps you have.  More than likely you have your $ in mutual funds.  Well, you hold stocks.  Perhaps you might want to look at those funds' performance, the same way one might look at a company's performance.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

OMG!  My partner gave me hu!  What do I do to get rid of hu?
pokemon

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2012, 5:24:07 PM »

On this topic, all I can say today is, "ouch".

I will say though that my individual stocks in the Scottrade account are doing better than my TIAA-CREF accounts. And by doing better, I mean not down as much.
machiavelli

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »

Can you folks with actual investments recommend a good book (like, actual paper) with the basics of investment, how it all works and basic strategies explained?  For those of us just joining the income class that can think about these things...
dalekk

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338347584&sr=8-1

Just a few weeks ago I bought a copy of this for a friend of mine who is just starting his first job.
machiavelli

« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2012, 1:26:02 AM »

Thanks!
parispundit

« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2012, 3:20:41 AM »

Can you folks with actual investments recommend a good book (like, actual paper) with the basics of investment, how it all works and basic strategies explained?  For those of us just joining the income class that can think about these things...

"The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need", by Andrew Tobias (I think that is the author, but the title is correct).
spork

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2012, 6:45:32 AM »

Beating the Street by Peter Lynch is probably available at the library.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: