• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 8:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do white faculty really want (racial and class) diversity?  (Read 124617 times)
larryc
Troll Proof
Distinguished Senior Member

Be excellent to each other.

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2011, 6:47:23 PM »

This is how institutional racism works, isn't it? A bunch of older whites, all of whom likely think of themselves as in favor of diversity and absolutely not racist, look past the candidates of color and focus on the white ones. They see the whites as more qualified, a "better fit," more likely to take the job and remain at the institution, etc. Because what older faculty look for in a new department member is someone who will fill their shoes--a Mini Me.

Trolling for sex is not what this forum is all about.
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2011, 12:37:41 AM »

This is how institutional racism works, isn't it? A bunch of older whites, all of whom likely think of themselves as in favor of diversity and absolutely not racist, look past the candidates of color and focus on the white ones. They see the whites as more qualified, a "better fit," more likely to take the job and remain at the institution, etc. Because what older faculty look for in a new department member is someone who will fill their shoes--a Mini Me.

Additionally, individuals who are from groups that have traditionally been excluded may actually lack some of the experience/pedigree that is a product of generational accrual--the social and cultural capital that can have such effect in academia.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
oldfullprof
Ridiculous

Representation is not reproduction!

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2011, 2:05:53 AM »

What Ms P says is key.  Many POC do not do well on phone interviews because no one has coached them.  Also, some ethnic groups may have members who have an uncomfortably authoritarian approach as professors because "rigidity" has been a ticket into middle class life.  (Sometimes this hurts the hiring chances of those who follow.)  People from foreign countries, likewise, although wonderfully qualified, may not be able to motivate US students well due to unrealistic expectations in terms of comportment, study habits, etc.   

Taste o' the Sixties
george_a_lozano

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2011, 12:07:18 AM »

What happens when you consider yourself to be part of the "majority" but it is obvious others see you as some sort of "minority". Which perception is the one that matters?
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »

What happens when you consider yourself to be part of the "majority" but it is obvious others see you as some sort of "minority". Which perception is the one that matters?

How do people treat you?  

If people treat you as a barely tolerated person to meet a checkbox quota, then you have a problem.  If people treat you as a solid member of the department, then nothing else matters, regardless of what boxes are checked in the privacy of minds.

I spend far more time being the barely tolerated simulationist/theorist/teacher-prep person than I do being the woman.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:03:39 AM by polly_mer » Logged

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
tuxedo_cat
Yet another zoologically confusing

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2011, 2:32:00 PM »

What happens when you consider yourself to be part of the "majority" but it is obvious others see you as some sort of "minority".

They make up goofy food-related analogies for your identity label.  heh

That's it! I'm turning this Darwin Bus around.
quantmeister

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2012, 5:31:34 PM »

Was on a search committee a year or three ago. We had the visit from the university's diversity office to direct our attention to ways of increasing the diversity of the applicant pool. I was struck by one statement made by this person. Suppose you've got a faculty group that's completely white and of middle-class North American origin. Now comes a male candidate of obvious Chinese origin. Per the diversity office person, if this candidate is actually Chinese (as in, a citizen or resident of China) he does not contribute to the diversity of our department. If this candidate is actually an "American" (as in, he grew up here but happened to have parents of Chinese origin), he does increase the diversity of the department.

I was (and remain) confused ...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: