• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 8:43:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Banned Book List  (Read 247030 times)
prytania3
Distinguished Senior Member

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2012, 7:35:26 PM »

I find it horribly disheartening to even think about banning a book. How could I possibly decide what another would or should read?

Are you kidding? There's no better publicity than banning a book. It's the road to success.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
macadamia

« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2012, 5:34:54 PM »

I find it horribly disheartening to even think about banning a book. How could I possibly decide what another would or should read?

Are you kidding? There's no better publicity than banning a book. It's the road to success.

My very Catholic family always regretted that the Church gave up on the index. In the olden times, you could just have a look at the index to see what good new books had been published.

A drunk man will find his way home, but a drunk bird may get lost forever.  Shizuo Kakutani
yeastie

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2012, 7:04:54 AM »

My daughter's 8th grade English class only read books off the banned books list this year. They had an additional project in which each child had to pick another banned book, read it, and research what the issues were that lead to it's banning and provide logical counterarguments.

I thought it was a brilliant project.
desmata
still here but mostly "over there".

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2012, 7:42:19 AM »

My daughter's 8th grade English class only read books off the banned books list this year. They had an additional project in which each child had to pick another banned book, read it, and research what the issues were that lead to it's banning and provide logical counterarguments.

I thought it was a brilliant project.

I agree, this is a marvelous idea. I am thrilled to hear that it was done with 8th graders.

If scientists invented the legal system, eye witness testimony would be inadmissible evidence. --Neil deGrasse Tyson
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2012, 11:44:01 AM »

What exactly is the criteria that must be met to make it on this list? Language, explicit imagery, what else? I disagree with handfuls upon handfuls of these books being on this list. I would like to see that list!

Google is your friend.

(I disagree with them too.)

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
edwardscliff

« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2012, 8:06:51 AM »

I just want to add => the banned book list => THIS IS INSANE!

If they are out just to MARKET them => They are SMART!

“The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” ~ Leo F. Buscaglia
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: