• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:32:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejection Letter Genres?  (Read 231818 times)
histchick

« Reply #525 on: May 03, 2012, 9:40:18 PM »

I just got a very warm rejection letter that thanked me for coming out to do a campus interview and for the wonderful time the search committee chair had in my company.  The problem?  I never had such an interview, nor any contact from the search committee at all before this.

Could this be the We Wished You Were Here genre?
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a
Distinguished Senior Member

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #526 on: May 04, 2012, 2:24:34 AM »

I just got a very warm rejection letter that thanked me for coming out to do a campus interview and for the wonderful time the search committee chair had in my company.  The problem?  I never had such an interview, nor any contact from the search committee at all before this.

There's probably somebody out there who's really upset that they didn't get a personalized rejection letter after a very warm campus interview.

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
bcohlan1

« Reply #527 on: May 04, 2012, 11:00:10 AM »

There's probably somebody out there who's really upset that they didn't get a personalized rejection letter after a very warm campus interview.

Yep. Ironically I've received no such letter from my actual campus interview.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #528 on: May 04, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »

I am thinking you should send them an application packet anyway. If you get that kind of thanks without even going to an interview, they may adore you if you were to show up for one.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
yevb0

« Reply #529 on: May 04, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »

The Good:

"we didn't award you this fellowship, but we'd like to pay for your trip to our conference to give a talk."

The Bad:

a variation on We've Hired+Name, a "We've hired the internal candidate, current VAP at Our University, Dr. X."  This was followed the next day by a new posting for Dr. X's VAP that I will probably be rejected from soon.

The Ugly:

SC member emails me to get docs and recs, telling me I'm "one of their top candidates," and they'd like to do a phone interview. Weeks go by with no contact, and when I ask for more info, I'm told, "sorry, we could only invite a few people for campus interviews (not including you). You were my first choice, but I got outvoted."

As annoying as it is to receive no communication from SCs, I see why they want to keep their professors from going rogue...
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #530 on: May 04, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »

Awww.  That seems quite probable.

I wonder whether I've run out of rejection letters for the season.  I doubt anything else I get will top the rejection letter and alumni donation solicitation within weeks of each other, from the same department/SC chair.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #531 on: May 04, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »

Probably if you ask for reimbursement they'll stand corrected.
tinyzombie
She of the Badass Abs, and a

elevate from this point on - chuck d

« Reply #532 on: May 04, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »

Boy, some of you guys are way too sensitive. 

Criticizing people for apologizing to you?  Being irritated because they told you what candidate was selected?  Surely you have better things to be angry about.

You have lost your grip on the point and tone of this thread.

Quote from: usukprof
I think we have three of them, but the smallest one seems to be the leader.
Quote from: dolljepopp
Who needs real life when Sandra Bullock is around?
Quote from: systeme_d_
You are all my people, and I love you.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

Have you worked on that project today?

« Reply #533 on: May 04, 2012, 8:26:32 PM »

For the record, Lostmygrip never has a grip on these matters.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
leobloom
Where Planted

« Reply #534 on: May 23, 2012, 10:04:50 AM »

Honest apology. Better later than never, it took almost seven months!

We appreciate the time and effort you took in submitting your application packet and are sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.  The Search Committee has concluded their interviews and the position has been filled.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #535 on: May 23, 2012, 6:28:03 PM »

Hee hee. I applied to a CC in the humanities. It was a long shot. Even so, it's always "pleasant" to see in your inbox an email from "DONTNOTREPLY HR@cc.edu." At least the "name" of the sender saved me the two seconds it would have taken to open it. Since it popped up on my iphone, I saw the first few lines: "Dear Applicant" . . . , and so it goes.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
timurid

« Reply #536 on: May 24, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »

I think bcohlan1 has something that belongs to me...
leobloom
Where Planted

« Reply #537 on: June 01, 2012, 3:46:32 PM »

Close, but no cigar

Your application was part of our final group, but we have selected another candidate, and the position has been filled.
dr_starbucks

« Reply #538 on: June 01, 2012, 7:08:41 PM »

The "We just want to make sure you get it": TWO rejection mailers received in consecutive days from the same place. This was kind of expected, since I'd already gotten two notifications of application receipt, one of them having another candidate's name under whiteout.

+1, not ironically

Ah, so that explains the one that sent me four rejection letters (that all arrived on the same day)?

This could also be filed under the category (mentioned waaaaay back in this thread) You suck so much that we will reject you more than once!

This thread has brought laughter and much release of angst and stress over the years.

formerly Lukeurig
copykat

« Reply #539 on: November 09, 2012, 12:41:09 AM »

How about The Rude Awakening?

This is when your phone rings at 6:30AM, the Monday after a campus interview at East Coast SLAC, with a rejection from a peppy Search Committee Member that clearly doesn't understand the concept of TIME ZONES! 

What a way to start a day.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: