• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:48:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Rejection Letter Genres?  (Read 231822 times)
data5112

« Reply #510 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »

Last year, I had a day long interview for a (non-academic) job. I thought everything went well, but I didn't hear anything.

About a month later, I emailed the recruiter who had invited me to apply. A few minutes later, I got a form email rejection. And a few minutes after that, I got an email from her that said "You should have gotten an email about it a few weeks ago..."

That would be the Oh Sh!t, We Forgot to Send out the Rejection Letters, so Let's do it Now and Pretend that We Did it Weeks Ago genre.

This made me laugh.

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #511 on: April 19, 2012, 8:20:17 AM »

I just got a No, really, we get to reject you: a "We're sorry to inform you" rejection email from a search from which I had already withdrawn twice.  Egads.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
temporaryname
Junior faculty,

« Reply #512 on: April 19, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »

I just got a No, really, we get to reject you: a "We're sorry to inform you" rejection email from a search from which I had already withdrawn twice.  Egads.
I've recently learned a possible explanation for these: At my university, HR sends out automated form letter rejection emails any time a candidate is removed from the applicant pool, no matter the reason.

From what I have been told, requests (whether polite or otherwise) to add a bit more intelligence to the system have been firmly declined, all in the name of making sure that all applications are treated the same way. (No, really.)
theritas

« Reply #513 on: April 19, 2012, 1:12:12 PM »

I've recently learned a possible explanation for these: At my university, HR sends out automated form letter rejection emails any time a candidate is removed from the applicant pool, no matter the reason. - From what I have been told, requests (whether polite or otherwise) to add a bit more intelligence to the system have been firmly declined, all in the name of making sure that all applications are treated the same way. (No, really.) -

I imagined this was the case.  Someone set things up initially to send the "no thanks" letter, and someone else doesn't know how to add a column and set up a second letter (or no letter) option. 
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #514 on: April 19, 2012, 1:29:40 PM »

How about "We don't have the cojones to phone you, so the dept. secretary will forward you a letter" rejection.

Yes, after a 2 day campus visit.

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
leobloom
Where Planted

What kind of man reads CHE Fora?

« Reply #515 on: April 19, 2012, 11:08:38 PM »

The "You're just imagining; the campus visit never happened" category: shortly after a campus visit I received an automated e-mail from the application website, saying I was not selected for further interviews. Website now reads "Position filled".

I'm still waiting for a more direct response from the SC, it may be that the website was messed-up (even at the time of application there were reasons to include it in the "Botched online applications" thread; the department I interviewed in was much better organized than that.) At the same time, I'm also hoping to at least get reimbursed for the airfare.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:10:17 PM by leobloom » Logged
leobloom
Where Planted

« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2012, 2:31:58 PM »

The "We just want to make sure you get it": TWO rejection mailers received in consecutive days from the same place. This was kind of expected, since I'd already gotten two notifications of application receipt, one of them having another candidate's name under whiteout.
data5112

« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2012, 8:43:27 PM »

The "We just want to make sure you get it": TWO rejection mailers received in consecutive days from the same place. This was kind of expected, since I'd already gotten two notifications of application receipt, one of them having another candidate's name under whiteout.

+1, not ironically

Mr. Potato modeled eight thousand tacky blindfolds on Etsy.
peppergal

« Reply #518 on: April 24, 2012, 2:45:25 AM »

+1, not ironically

Ah, so that explains the one that sent me four rejection letters (that all arrived on the same day)?
leobloom
Where Planted

« Reply #519 on: April 24, 2012, 9:49:43 AM »

+1, not ironically

Ah, so that explains the one that sent me four rejection letters (that all arrived on the same day)?
At first I thought this treatment is typical for unsuccessful candidates to places like Baden Baden, Walla Walla or the likes. But I'm really stretching my memory and nothing comes out for this. 
peppergal

« Reply #520 on: April 24, 2012, 2:57:16 PM »

+1, not ironically

At first I thought this treatment is typical for unsuccessful candidates to places like Baden Baden, Walla Walla or the likes. But I'm really stretching my memory and nothing comes out for this. 

Well, I had just been assuming that they REALLY didn't like my application.
losemygrip
Not Very

« Reply #521 on: April 24, 2012, 4:39:23 PM »

Boy, some of you guys are way too sensitive. 

Criticizing people for apologizing to you?  Being irritated because they told you what candidate was selected?  Surely you have better things to be angry about.
leobloom
Where Planted

« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2012, 5:39:27 PM »

Criticizing people for apologizing to you?  Being irritated because they told you what candidate was selected?  Surely you have better things to be angry about.
That's the whole point; we don't want to be angry. And this is one good way to take it lightly, in a comical register, otherwise with the swath of mailed (and e-mailed) rejections showing up everyday we'd go postal.
luckychance

« Reply #523 on: April 26, 2012, 7:14:36 AM »

I get the impression that amusement, not anger, is what people posting here are feeling.
bcohlan1

« Reply #524 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:18 PM »

I just got a very warm rejection letter that thanked me for coming out to do a campus interview and for the wonderful time the search committee chair had in my company.  The problem?  I never had such an interview, nor any contact from the search committee at all before this.

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: