• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:07:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 157
  Print  
Author Topic: dissertators and thesis writers support thread  (Read 749466 times)
baleful_regards
Imperfect Uncertainty: Guardian of indecision is a
Distinguished Senior Member

My magical seagull regards you balefully /\0/\

« Reply #1965 on: May 04, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »

Just wait till you see my dissertation defense! I plan to bore them into submission. My dissertation is so long there is not a chance they will read it and they are letting me have a defense date right after we finish hosting a conference. I figure between the timing, heavy snacks, and lots of text on boring slides, the dissertation defense will be even shorter.

Just do not do a Prezi...or maybe you should. You could force them into nausea and only stop when they sign off....

"I'm not kidding - I will barrel roll this graphic ONE MORE TIME!!!!"

Trouble comes to everyone who dares to be a muse.
lohai0

« Reply #1966 on: May 04, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »

Just wait till you see my dissertation defense! I plan to bore them into submission. My dissertation is so long there is not a chance they will read it and they are letting me have a defense date right after we finish hosting a conference. I figure between the timing, heavy snacks, and lots of text on boring slides, the dissertation defense will be even shorter.

Just do not do a Prezi...or maybe you should. You could force them into nausea and only stop when they sign off....

"I'm not kidding - I will barrel roll this graphic ONE MORE TIME!!!!"

True, but then every day I have to brush my teeth looking at someone who Made a Prezi.

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #1967 on: May 05, 2012, 8:12:12 AM »

Hi. I am about to go for my prospectus defense. WWYD? Or what did you do to prepare? I have done some more reading and written up notes on some things that might have made their way into the proposal, but did not. I am not really sure what to expect here.

I slapped together a PowerPoint the morning of and took a few beta blockers. However, our proposals (prospectuses?) are really substantial (First 3 chapters) and program culture is that the defense is more or less a status meeting for revisions. No one who might fail is allowed to schedule a proposal. I was on a tight time frame, so I knew the revisions would be substantial...hence the beta blocker. Senior grad students in your program would be the best ones to ask what to prepare for.

Holy Tomoly! You must have been loose as goose. Beta blockers make me giggley and sleepy!

For me they are more like Don't Care Pills.

Oh there is that too. I worry when I take them that they things I am barely keeping inside my brain are going to come on out to play. As it stands now I can't keep my mouth shut.

I did used to take a tiny half of one before meetings with a former boss. Since weeping wasn't an option.

I only allowed myself to say one sentence: "I am happy to make whatever revisions necessary for everyone to feel comfortable that data collection will move forward." In a deadpan monotone. After about the fifth time, they just gave me the list and signed the form.

I am mentally bookmarking this technique for future department staff meetings.

I wish I could go this route, but we have to shut up after 20 minutes.

I'm not going to tamper with anything new, but I just read an article that 2 beers will kill any inhibition and stage fright and allow you to think quickly. I'm not a beer drinker, so I don't want to try something knew on the day of my defense. It's too early. I thought about some pills, but I don't have a prescription. Oh well. It can't be that horrible (or can it?).

I just googled beta blockers. Is Valium a beta blocker? Or Xanax? I might get some, though I'm afraid it might have an unintended affect.

Quote from: cgfunmathguy
We're just cyborgs standing in the way of their dreams.
baleful_regards

« Reply #1968 on: May 05, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »

WCG - I was an Ativan believer! (I just said that in the same voice that was once used in the Coffee commercials of my youth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rea-yBgOSo

westcoastgirl

« Reply #1969 on: May 06, 2012, 3:02:15 PM »

WCG - I was an Ativan believer! (I just said that in the same voice that was once used in the Coffee commercials of my youth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rea-yBgOSo

That was great!

I'm actually going to get something or other today and do I trial run.

There's only two days full days left, so maybe I'll try it tomorrow morning.

asteria
completely invisible

« Reply #1970 on: May 06, 2012, 6:11:14 PM »

I prepared by re-reading my materials and formatting it into a 20 minute presentation.

It will be fine; if your committee signed off, they aren't looking to sabotage you. There's nothing wrong with doing more reading. There is a problem with doing too much. [Warning: all about me ahead]: I've over read for my dissertation defense (the thing was submitted three weeks ago and I've been frantically spending 12 hours a day on it]. Now, I'm starting to doubt my methodology and arguments. It has left me in sort of a panic. I kind of wonder if I would have been better off not overdoing it. My point is, if the proposal was signed off on, just be ready to control your material and cogently articulate where you are going with it. Start off with the problematics and end with how you hope to contribute to the your field.

It's always ok to say "Yes, thank you for that; I'm going to look into that."

Thank you! I am working on the presentation part. I don't think it will be 20 minutes, but it might be something near it.

Good luck!!
promovenda
Just thrilled to be a

Lost in the library

« Reply #1971 on: May 07, 2012, 8:42:29 AM »

Warning: just venting

My advisor, who has had my complete diss. manuscript for two months, called a meeting on Wednesday together with the co-supervisor to "discuss the latest version of your manuscript." No more info given. My nerves are frayed. Will it be good enough to be the final version? Or will there be lots more corrections/additions/deletions?

Deep breathing. You all don't have to comment, but I wanted to post.

"You're a wonderful bartender, Promovenda.  The hamster bestows one of his special nibbles on your ear."
asteria
completely invisible

« Reply #1972 on: May 07, 2012, 4:11:28 PM »

Dude, why can't I work the quote function lately?!
westcoastgirl

« Reply #1973 on: May 08, 2012, 12:02:29 AM »

I still haven't made it to the store to get my blockers. I'm no longer having a problem with nervousness, but with weeping. I don't want to cry on the way there, during the intro. etc. What do you all recommend for this? I don't want to cry after the phd (hopefully) is conferred either. I just want to be normal.

Sorry to be crazy, but I keep crying randomly (and I'm usually more in control of my emotions). The last thing I want to do is cry during the defense. I don't want to cry on that day at all and will do nearly anything to make sure I don't.

Suggestions? PMs are welcome.

westcoastgirl

« Reply #1974 on: May 09, 2012, 8:19:25 PM »

I did it. This community has been so wonderful (and patient). Thanks, all.

baleful_regards

« Reply #1975 on: May 09, 2012, 8:32:17 PM »

Oh, how wonderful! Did you get the ativan? I am relieved for you! Congratulations!

(that was an uncharacteristic number of exclamation points, yet you deserve them)

lohai0

« Reply #1976 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »

Congrats!

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
westcoastgirl

« Reply #1977 on: May 10, 2012, 2:42:11 PM »

Thanks so much!! I refrained from all the exclamation points earlier, but I have to insert them now!

My psychiatrist (through student counseling services) never bothered to email me back. He had a horrible bedside manner the five times I saw him last year, so no surprise there.

I didn't have any aids, but the adrenaline kicked into extreme high gear yesterday morning, so I wasn't nervous or weepy.

Both of my daughters came to the defense. Right beforehand, I had to print the dissertation out (I thought I might need a copy in front of me) and I also had a handout (translation matters). Because of printing problems, we did not leave the library until 9:50 (even though we got there at 9) in front of a 10 o'clock defense. So I had my daughters manage everything--stacking the document, sorting copies, etc. When we walked in, I was flanked on each side--one was carrying the diss and the other, the handouts. I was lugging two laptops (I was worried about the powerpoint not working on one computer and needed a backup). I felt like it was a wedding procession.

Very memorable day, actually. I still can't believe it.

dr_prephd

« Reply #1978 on: May 10, 2012, 9:33:36 PM »

Awesome, WCG. Congrats!

I received my bound copies in the mail today. Fancy.

westcoastgirl

« Reply #1979 on: May 11, 2012, 8:48:45 AM »

Awesome, WCG. Congrats!

I received my bound copies in the mail today. Fancy.

That's great. I don't know if I'll receive copies? The process is pretty mystifying. Proquest submission deadline for us is at 4:30 and I'm slightly panicking because my front matter has roman numerals from page two onward and I guess that's incorrect. I've already spent hours merging, making sure footnotes number from the start in each chapter, etc. I have a feeling I'm in for a super stressful day.

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 157
  Print  

Jump to: