• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 12:32:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 776
  Print  
Author Topic: Posting while Plastered  (Read 952671 times)
lohai0
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #7560 on: May 01, 2012, 7:48:44 PM »

Well my semester is all but over, and my good friend and research partner successfully defended his dissertation today. One tequila/everclear margarita, a bottle of wine, and something resembling a screwdriver later, I'm proud I typed this sentence.

Wow! Tequila and Everclear. 190 proof (I remember that from my high school days, courtesy of my friend's parent's bar).

I can only hope that will be me 8 days from now. Sounds great. My good friend is defending on Thursday, but I'll need to head the library for that never-ending last minute research.

The three drink limit there is strictly enforced. It was actually only a proposal defense. We are the only two still standing in our cohort of 10 but we still have a year left to go.

This Special Snowflake I am proctoring a late exam for has now been mouthbreathing for 90 minutes. I am already dreaming of the lovely bottle of imported vodka in the freezer.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 7:51:29 PM by lohai0 » Logged

I hate helicopter zombie grandparents. They are the worst.
bcohlan1

« Reply #7561 on: May 01, 2012, 8:14:43 PM »

Beer and sadness: made for each other!

"ASSUMING I EXIST, I MAY OR MAY NOT BE DOING OKAY" -T-Rex
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #7562 on: May 01, 2012, 8:16:33 PM »

I had my last class today and I gave out my take home final. It's due back Friday. It's so simple I was tempted to put a maze or sudoku puzzle on the back...

"ST needs to see his tenure package through to the Governing Board! Can you help him?"

Until the Onslaught of Questions occurs, the bottle is open and the glass is full.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
isotope
A Ronnie James Dio Approved

I am a #$%&! delight.

« Reply #7563 on: May 01, 2012, 8:51:54 PM »

I am going to attempt to grade papers and watch playoff hockey.  This usually doesn't go well.  I have a delicious red beer on the coffee table.  I can't reach it without putting down my things.  I don't want to move since Big Girl is under my feet.  I rather like that.

I need somebody to come over, hand me my beer when I make a motion and remain completely silent unless a goal is scored.  Any takers?  My couch is very comfortable.

"I dunno, Dr. Isotope.  All your music sounds like something off of guitar hero, expert level." -- student
slightlylargerzombie

« Reply #7564 on: May 01, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »

Sippin' on fermented goo, chattin' up the fora crew.

Gonna pick their braiiiiiins.
prof_smartypants
Treasure-pilferin' and grog-swillin'

You're getting hosed by small minds with no game.

« Reply #7565 on: May 02, 2012, 10:46:28 AM »

Anybody tried the new Sam Adams spring beer?  I've seen it but haven't gotten it yet.  We're working through some older cheap stuff.  Nothing great, but acceptable quality.

The alpine spring? I really like it.

melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #7566 on: May 03, 2012, 2:24:18 AM »

You winos wine connoisseurs will be so proud of me. I went to a wine tasting even tonight: five or six samples of assorted wine. Mostly white, one rose. I'm afraid the buzz is fading fast and I still have exams to grade.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
scampster

« Reply #7567 on: May 03, 2012, 3:55:57 AM »

I need somebody to come over, hand me my beer when I make a motion and remain completely silent unless a goal is scored.  Any takers?  My couch is very comfortable.

I'm pretty sure this was my father's intended purpose in procreating.

Scampster, trained to fetch a beer from the basement fridge and pour it into a frosty mug with little head since age 7, lest her dad miss one bit of the Canadiens game.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 3:56:52 AM by scampster » Logged

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
merinoblue
That's not screaming; that's rock and roll

« Reply #7568 on: May 03, 2012, 7:56:19 AM »

You winos wine connoisseurs will be so proud of me. I went to a wine tasting even tonight: five or six samples of assorted wine. Mostly white, one rose. I'm afraid the buzz is fading fast and I still have exams to grade.

Yes, but what did you learn?

Defender of whimsy
Sangria knows no borders.
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #7569 on: May 03, 2012, 6:33:15 PM »

Sangria part 2.

Made with the raspberry cordial from the holidays (Smarty, did you ever finish yours off?  Maybe you used better vodka than I did--mine wasn't *that* good.)  I have some mangoes, and contemplated mangria, but it sounded pervy.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
scampster

« Reply #7570 on: May 03, 2012, 6:34:41 PM »

Sangria part 2.

Made with the raspberry cordial from the holidays (Smarty, did you ever finish yours off?  Maybe you used better vodka than I did--mine wasn't *that* good.)  I have some mangoes, and contemplated mangria, but it sounded pervy.

Love it!

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator

« Reply #7571 on: May 03, 2012, 6:38:58 PM »

Yes, but what did you learn?

Umm...you expect me to remember anything?

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
dr_alcott

« Reply #7572 on: May 03, 2012, 8:15:06 PM »

Bell's Oberon Ale. Ahhhhh. 

You must be your own snow, Dr_Alcott.  You must lift, and sparkle, and then melt away.

I love everyone here!
canuckois
Thrower of Insults, Smearer of Characters, and a

« Reply #7573 on: May 03, 2012, 8:23:02 PM »

Bell's Oberon Ale. Ahhhhh. 

You must live nearby (relatively speaking)!  Or have we already had this conversation?  I love me some Oberon, though I haven't sampled this summer's batch yet.  It meets with your approval, I take it?

Your opinions are welcome, of course, unless they suck, in which case the Fora will reward you with snark, if all goes well.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #7574 on: May 03, 2012, 8:27:43 PM »

Last graduate seminar class of the year; after discussing progress on projects I suggested we adjourn early so people could finish the projects.  I'll try to get some work done at home, but am almost through my first pint of Boulevard Pale Ale.  So not plastered quite yet...

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 776
  Print  

Jump to: