• June 29, 2016
June 29, 2016, 10:31:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187]
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 364418 times)
melba_frilkins
Doing laundry.
Member-Moderator
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2790 on: May 17, 2016, 4:13:19 pm »

Huh.  Instead of that dog, maybe I'll stick with pets that cannot eat things like socks.

Given enough time, any pet can eat a sock.

Light up the corners of your neighborhood with disco balls matched with dancing green and violet beams.
alto_stratus
Middle cloud,

« Reply #2791 on: May 26, 2016, 9:53:20 am »

Egads, you are right, melba_frilkins.

Everyone must need a break - trending in my LinkedIn news feed for the Higher Education Industry is an article about how drinking temporarily increases happiness 10%. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 9:53:47 am by alto_stratus » Logged
economizer

Words are at a loss for me.

« Reply #2792 on: June 05, 2016, 4:20:06 pm »

From watching TV celebrity reports, I am of the impression that most of the current musicians and vocalists (outside country music for the most part) are very liberal individuals.  Their actions, affiliations, and moralities seem to be pretty far outside of the moderate behaviors of entertainers of my experience (those up to the 1970's).  

Well, as the current favorites and their imitators age their attitudes will mellow a bit and probably take on a more conservative bent.  GOOD NEWS!  There may be a place for them.  Our Veterans. as well as other U.S. Service and Fraternal organizations, employ a great number of accomplished and versatile performers.  I suppose that they, on a consistent weekly basis, employ more working, tax paying, educated, and experienced talent than any sector in any nation in the world.  

Furthermore, these venues don't go too much into politics.  The attendees like to socialize and to indiscriminately enjoy listening to and dancing to pleasing sounds.  So, if there any of you that know or are among the "cutting edge" of the music world, please give these clubs your respect and the credit due them for supporting "good" music and the professionals that offer it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 4:23:57 pm by economizer » Logged

So, I straightened the whole thing out and what do you think I got for doing it?  Really, just take a guess!
economizer

Words are at a loss for me.

« Reply #2793 on: June 05, 2016, 4:26:22 pm »

From watching TV celebrity reports, I am of the impression that most of the current musicians and vocalists (outside country music for the most part) are very liberal individuals.  Their actions, affiliations, and moralities seem to be pretty far outside of the moderate behaviors of entertainers of my experience (those up to the 1970's).  

Well, as the current favorites and their imitators age their attitudes will mellow a bit and probably take on a more conservative bent.  GOOD NEWS!  There may be a place for them.  Our Veterans. as well as other U.S. Service and Fraternal organizations, employ a great number of accomplished and versatile performers.  I suppose that they, on a consistent weekly basis, employ more working, tax paying, educated, and experienced talent than any sector in any nation in the world.  

Furthermore, these venues don't go too much into politics.  The attendees like to socialize and to indiscriminately enjoy listening to and dancing to pleasing sounds.  So, if there any of you that know or are among the "cutting edge" of the music world, please give these clubs your respect and the credit due them for supporting "good" music and the professionals that offer it.

Correction:  ..Our Veterans, as well as..

So, I straightened the whole thing out and what do you think I got for doing it?  Really, just take a guess!
baphd1996
You can't talk to me like that, I'm a

« Reply #2794 on: June 08, 2016, 10:56:53 am »

What is wrong with people. 

This has all happened recently:

People going off the path at Yellowstone and getting burned (one was a slip).  I remember being quite frightened of moving off the boardwalk when I went visited there as a child.

A couple of museum pieces were destroyed by people deciding to handle them

Of course the child in the gorilla pen.

You're all wrong!
alto_stratus
Middle cloud,

« Reply #2795 on: June 08, 2016, 11:53:03 am »

Glad we're not on that list. 
magnemite
no one of consequence, and a

« Reply #2796 on: June 08, 2016, 10:56:08 pm »

Whither James Franco?

may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #2797 on: June 10, 2016, 7:25:23 pm »

The deer living here are bigger than I am, well fed, quite muscular, and totally unafraid of people. I should probably stop looking at the ground on the walk from my car to my door and pay attention to what's in front of me. Had I taken two more steps before becoming aware of my surroundings, things might have gotten painfully ugly.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
baphd1996
You can't talk to me like that, I'm a

« Reply #2798 on: June 10, 2016, 7:38:36 pm »

Does "friendly reminder" e-mails bother anyone else?

You're all wrong!
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #2799 on: June 10, 2016, 8:34:52 pm »

Does "friendly reminder" e-mails bother anyone else?

Not when I've forgotten whatever I'm being reminded of; otherwise, yes.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
alastrina
I cannot believe I'm a

« Reply #2800 on: June 13, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »

It just took 4 tries to type my own first name correctly. This does not bode well for the rest of the day.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
magnemite
no one of consequence, and a

« Reply #2801 on: June 14, 2016, 12:04:45 pm »

Posting comments here is far more interesting than grading final reports.

may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome
fishprof
Super Duper Ooper Schmooper

« Reply #2802 on: June 14, 2016, 12:51:56 pm »

In parenting, unsolicited advice is just criticism.

"Before I hand back your exams, I'd just like to say how refreshing it is in this modern era to see that most students still don't give a damn about grades."
amlithist

« Reply #2803 on: June 17, 2016, 10:42:02 am »

While I'm very much enjoying having more free time this summer than I've had in nearly 30 years, I also seem to be spending a bit too much time inside my own head.  Goal:  get the work I need to have done for fall finished by the end of next week, then really appreciate the remainder of the summer.

Every person you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.  Be kind, always.
mntwins

« Reply #2804 on: June 17, 2016, 10:45:42 am »

I'm just glad it's Friday.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187]
  Print  

Jump to: