• February 9, 2016
February 09, 2016, 3:42:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Football player suicides  (Read 11214 times)
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2015, 1:17:50 pm »

Play for UNC, end up homeless and brain damaged:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/08/sports/ncaafootball/ryan-hoffman-a-unc-football-player-two-decades-ago-is-now-homeless.html

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
cgfunmathguy
Beer-brewing

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2015, 4:45:35 pm »

Play for UNC, end up homeless and brain damaged:
That's not really a fair summarization of the story.

Alas, greatness and meaning are rarely coterminous with popular familiarity.
fizmath

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2015, 12:49:31 pm »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/03/18/nfl-doctor-tells-nfl-network-that-cte-is-over-exaggerated/
tenured_feminist

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2015, 1:19:47 pm »

"It's never been safer" ≠ "it's safe"

And if we are only now just beginning to understand the problem, historically comparative conclusory statements are downright silly.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
geoteo

« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2015, 1:51:28 pm »

Perhaps it is also relevant to know if the people involved in the research ever played football.

"The accession of this dynamic pavement collapses the cranium of the community because of its elegance."
"Since the beginning of time, mankind has yearned for non-stick cookware."
spork
If you are reading this, I am naked.

« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2015, 6:54:30 pm »

Frank Gifford: CTE

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/26/sports/football/frank-gifford-had-cte-family-says.html

a.k.a. gum-chewing monkey in a Tufts University jacket

"There are no bad ideas, only great ideas that go horribly wrong."

"Please do not force people who are exhausted to take medication for hallucinations." -- Memo from the Chair, Department of White Privilege Studies, Fiork University
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2015, 7:28:27 pm »

A doctor on the pay of the NFL announces that playing for the NFL is safe.

In similar news, the Phillip Morris's pulmonary cardiologist announced yesterday that "long-term damage to the lungs from smoking is 'over-exaggerated'".

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
fiona

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2015, 2:57:24 am »

A doctor on the pay of the NFL announces that playing for the NFL is safe.

In similar news, the Phillip Morris's pulmonary cardiologist announced yesterday that "long-term damage to the lungs from smoking is 'over-exaggerated'".

Is it possible for something to be "under-exaggerated"?

These people who claim "no harm" are disgusting. I hope there's a hell for them.

The Fiona

The Fiona or Them FionŠ or Fiona the Sublime

Professor of Thread Killing, Fiork University
janewales

« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2015, 9:57:08 am »

The players on my university's team are part of a research study here: they're wearing sensors behind their ears as they play, that measure impact. Now, this being Canadian college football, these are, relatively speaking, tiny guys who are part-time players and who are extremely unlikely to go on to any kind of pro career, but when I heard about the study, I thought it seemed like an example of a good use of university sports programs.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2015, 11:24:12 am »

The players on my university's team are part of a research study here: they're wearing sensors behind their ears as they play, that measure impact. Now, this being Canadian college football, these are, relatively speaking, tiny guys who are part-time players and who are extremely unlikely to go on to any kind of pro career, but when I heard about the study, I thought it seemed like an example of a good use of university sports programs.

That is a good use! Even though they may not be pro football players in the future, right now they play just like everyone else plays and the data taken from the hits they take will help.

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
Bookworm24

« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2016, 8:53:41 pm »

Have yet to watch that Concussion movie but think about ALL the hits players receive - pop warner, high school, college, NFL, with each hit getting progressively harder.  Doesn't take a genius to figure it must have SOME impact on suicides. 
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2016, 10:18:07 pm »

My shame is that I will still go to a SuperBowl party tomorrow. Though I can't remember the last time we watched for the actual game. I don't actually even know who's playing this year. For one time in the year, we will be telling people to be quiet and running back into the room in order to watch the commercials--commercials that, after the game is over, we will be fast forwarding our DVRs to avoid.

As for football, in general, there are a very few games that we watch because anyone "cares" (nominally) about the outcome. Most of my crowd are band geeks. We miss being able to see the bands in the halftime shows and wish they'd actually show them again.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
southerntransplant

Stuck, in the dash, with the sh*tty comp tape.

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2016, 12:59:17 am »

To follow up on Ryan Hoffman's story:

Link.
tenured_feminist

« Reply #118 on: Yesterday at 07:47:36 am »

This was a sad read for those of us who remember the golden days of the 49ers.

You people are not fooling me. I know exactly what occurred in that thread, and I know exactly what you all are doing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: