• July 31, 2016
July 31, 2016, 5:45:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]
  Print  
Author Topic: Police Brutality  (Read 64466 times)
nebo113
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #465 on: July 23, 2016, 10:34:11 am »

Cop told gun involved.  That became his mindset and he was locked into it.  A truck became a gun because that's what he was looking for.  No excuse, though.  Cops need better training.
Keep telling yourself training will fix this.  I don't think it will.

Have been to the range when cops are shooting, this doesn't surprise me at all.  My experience is that cops are the worst, most irresponsible gun handlers I have ever been around.

I really wish I could disagree with you about this. Most cops are not "gun people" and do just the bare minimum training and qualification.

For what it's worth, I'm hearing this was actually an accidental shooting.
Accidental? He fired 3 times!

My guess is that adrenaline kicked in.  The victim is lucky the cop didn't empty the gun.  Time for better training....and better physical conditioning.
rosecoloredtulip

« Reply #466 on: July 23, 2016, 11:50:45 am »

Cop told gun involved.  That became his mindset and he was locked into it.  A truck became a gun because that's what he was looking for.  No excuse, though.  Cops need better training.
Keep telling yourself training will fix this.  I don't think it will.

Have been to the range when cops are shooting, this doesn't surprise me at all.  My experience is that cops are the worst, most irresponsible gun handlers I have ever been around.

I really wish I could disagree with you about this. Most cops are not "gun people" and do just the bare minimum training and qualification.

For what it's worth, I'm hearing this was actually an accidental shooting.
Accidental? He fired 3 times!

My guess is that adrenaline kicked in.  The victim is lucky the cop didn't empty the gun.  Time for better training....and better physical conditioning.
How will training change anything?  I guess with better training he could have shot the autistic man holding a toy. Gosh, you're right! That would have been so much better.   More, better training is crap. We need different policies.
janewales
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #467 on: July 23, 2016, 12:13:18 pm »

How will training change anything?  I guess with better training he could have shot the autistic man holding a toy. Gosh, you're right! That would have been so much better.   More, better training is crap. We need different policies.

Police in some other countries do receive specific training on how to deal with the mentally ill, and in general on how to de-escalate and defuse tensions. Remember the account of the 4 Swedish tourists, who happened to be police officers, calming down a fight on a NY subway? Training would have to take local contexts into account, of course, but surely there must be room for training on how to de-escalate, and how to deal with a mentally ill or intoxicated subject.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]
  Print  

Jump to: