• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 7:30:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grantham in The Wired Campus  (Read 66783 times)
profess_or

« on: August 14, 2006, 5:15:13 PM »

I thought that Grantham employees might want to reply to the following Wired Campus article, which appears as part of the Chronicle site. I found the lack of attention to the situation of employees distressing. What does it mean for an institution to "adapt" or grow at the expense of its workers?:

Riding Out the Storm
http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/1489/riding-out-the-storm

Grantham University, a for-profit online institution, was planning to move its headquarters from Slidell, La., to Kansas City, Mo., when Hurricane Katrina touched down (The Chronicle, September 16, 2005). By the time Katrina passed through Slidell, it had destroyed four of the five buildings in Grantham’s office complex—and forced the company to accelerate its relocation efforts.

Almost a year later, the university seems to have adapted to the change of scenery, reports The Kansas City Star. Grantham kept itself operating by backing up its servers before the disaster at a facility in Reston, Va., and the university’s enrollment has risen from 8,000 to about 11,000 since last September. —Brock Read
navystudent

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 5:36:39 PM »

All I can say, as someone who was a student with Grantham, is that they are very shady to say the least.  I was always given the run around.  I was lied to.  I was treated poorly.  My advisors would never call me back after mulitple voice mails were left.  The list goes on and on.  Not a good school to attend.  Tuition is too expensive.  No one takes their credits if you want to transfer.  Think twice before enrolling.
navystudent

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 11:18:09 AM »

Also to add:  After a little digging I found out that Grantham only had one building in Slidell.  The rest of the "campus" was located in a Strip Mall, right next to a dollar store and a plumbing parts store.  And I wonder why no one will take my credits seriously.
lalala

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:32:15 AM »

Also to add:  After a little digging I found out that Grantham only had one building in Slidell.  The rest of the "campus" was located in a Strip Mall, right next to a dollar store and a plumbing parts store.  And I wonder why no one will take my credits seriously.

The original building was too small for growth, Temporary offices were set up in the old factory outlet mall. Grantham had 4 suites to accomodate growth. The plan before the storm was to build a bigger campus but until then Grantham still needed offices.

Guess you would get a real kick out of the fact that Grantham is now above Victoria's secret. In the same area there is another online University.

As for the other businesses in the old outlet mall. There was not a dollar store. And the plumbing store was across the lot. There was also a church and many empty suites.

To be more accurate there was a clothing store, manicure salon, and a tourist information area. Next to Grantham.

McDonald's was also across the parking lot.

I think you would be surprised where many companies are actually located.
navystudent

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 7:04:25 PM »

Yep, that makes me feel so much better.  An outlet mall.  Yep, a mail order diploma coming from an outlet mall.  How fitting.  :)
lalala

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 7:22:32 PM »

Yep, that makes me feel so much better.  An outlet mall.  Yep, a mail order diploma coming from an outlet mall.  How fitting.  :)

Now Now. I said Former outlet mall. You didn't feel better with the Victoria's Secret?

Seriously though credits may not transfer well. It is a real diploma. I see your beef with GU and understand it.
navystudent

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 12:04:57 AM »

No, I do feel better.  At least they are moving up in the world.  Maybe they will send out GU thong underwear.  At least that I can use.  :)
lalala

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 10:57:23 PM »

They used to sell GU boxers, you could just cut the butt out! hehe
navystudent

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 4:36:01 PM »

It would only be fitting to put Grantham next to my naked butt.  I'm talking to the Navy Campus about them.  I'm still having no luck getting my current school to accept their credits and Grantham is offering no help what so ever.  They are not even returning my calls.
exit_strategy

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 3:14:40 PM »

It would only be fitting to put Grantham next to my naked butt.  I'm talking to the Navy Campus about them.  I'm still having no luck getting my current school to accept their credits and Grantham is offering no help what so ever.  They are not even returning my calls.
navystudent

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 1:13:36 AM »

Huh?
kevinh1234

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 5:35:28 PM »

I am in the military and completed my Masters in Information Management from Grantham.  I had several student advisors who promptly responded to all my questions and guided me through the entire process.  The advisor and faculty were very prompt.  Since graduating from Grantham I started my PHD with Walden University.  Walden University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association, www.ncahlc.org.  Walden accepted 7 classes from Grantham which is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC).  As far as the final are concerned you are only required to pass the final but it doesn't have bearing on your classroom GPA.
jackalope
Improbable

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 9:00:38 PM »

Walden accepted 7 classes from Grantham

Well there you go.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: