• November 1, 2014
November 01, 2014, 6:32:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Grantham University  (Read 253340 times)
louie
« on: September 15, 2005, 3:37:15 PM »

Greetings,

I am in search of any information on Grantham college , located on Grantham college rd. Slidell , La.

I am a moderator of Grantham forum and am tring to find out anything about what is going on with the school.

Pictures , any one know of a person or person's missing , details of what is happened to the school.

Please if  you can help , I would appreciate it....

thank you
former employee
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 3:19:50 PM »

There are many people that worked for Grantham still in Slidell. [Administrators] decided that it would best to fire the employees that could not move to Kansas City. From my understanding, at least half of the employees could not leave by the Labor Day deadline (about 4 days after the storm) and were let go. How is that for loyalty? Also, Grantham told everyone that this would be a temporary move to Kansas City but would not pay all expenses for the "temporary" move or give a relocation allowance. They also said that no job was guaranteed after the 90 day limit and that employees would have to pay out of pocket for everything at that point. What a great way to say, "We care out our employees that lost everything in Katrina".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:15:18 AM by moderator » Logged
concerned
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 2:48:03 PM »

This is really a sad set of circumstances for anyone having to endure a major hurricane, and to be asked to leave home a few days later is completely insane........these employees, I'm sure, have been loyal workers for years, and to  let them go just because they could not leave family to fend for themselves is beyond reason.....I, along with anyone else reading this letter, has to wonder what Grantham was thinking!   Yes, get the business going again eventually, start with the employees who can move and were not hit by the hurricane, but give your employees with family some breathing room to exhale from  such an awful experience.....I think Grantham should be ashamed of themselves, yes, it's easier for employees with no family, or employees that didn't get hit by the hurricane, but for this employee from Slidell, and many others, it sounds like, from Slidell, what were you thinking?    Look at the pictures of homes and families, look at what they returned to find.....couldn't you give them some time to get life back to some normalcy for the childrens sake, at the very least?.....I give up, I will never figure out why business always thinks of the bottom line.....somethings are just more important, like a little thoughtfullness......Shame on you...............
Wallace Barnes
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 8:07:38 AM »

Here is one article I came across:

http://www.startupjournal.com/columnists/enterprise/20050914-meckler.html

[%sig%]
Former Employee
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 6:23:07 AM »

What that article did not say is that they swore up and down that this was a "temporary" move and that they would be coming back to Slidell.  It's true that less than 50% of their employees went up to Kansas City, but what is also true (that they are not saying) is that most of those employees went up there because the stipulation was that it was temporary.  What Grantham really wanted to do was use the Slidell employees to train the new Kansas City employees without the Slidell employees knowing they would not be going back to Slidell with a job.  The plan was to break the news after the new staff was up and running.  People like me and others who figured it out let the employees know up there that it was not temporary.  Once some of the employees found out, Tom and the rest had to break the news to the older employees.  Most of them are already making plans to move back because they were lied to.  At least thats what I hear.  Even some of the higher management figured out it was a pack of lies and never left.
concerned
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 3:36:32 PM »

Finally, some honest answers to all the questions...........hurray for this former employee..............at least someone is willing to  tell the truth for all the fired employees in and around Slidell, especially the ones who were never told that the plans had already been made, way in advance, it seems, to not come back to Slidell.........it would have been nice for most of them that moved to Kansas to have a fair warning that the job they expected to return to in 90 or so days, would never really be there..........still sounds as if Grantham should be ashamed of themselves......no matter how you dress up lies, it's still lies, yes?     Just to omit the truth is no excuse.....

[%sig%]
Current Employee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 7:56:54 PM »

Friday, October 14, 2005

To ‘former employees’ griping about Grantham, you missed out on a great deal here in Kansas City, and if I do say so myself, a terrific success story.  

Over 140 of us came to Kansas City, Missouri from Louisiana & Mississippi over this past month (some just arrived last week and others are coming next week) and Grantham not only paid our travel expenses, but gave us living allowances for the first 30 days (paid in advance).  They are paying for fully furnished apartments (brand new & beautiful) for 6 months, including utilities.  They bought us new towels, sheets, pillows, bed spreads, toasters, coffee pots, silverware, etc., etc., etc., virtually everything needed to set up house.  

Upon arriving here Grantham arranged formal dinners and gatherings for us to meet medical providers (MD’s, counselors, etc. – at no charge), school administrators, community leaders, church groups, etc.  They arranged for carpool transportation and gave us paid time off to go to the local Red Cross, Salvation Army and other support providers.  They let us have as much time as we needed (paid time) to deal with FEMA and our insurance companies.  Not only are they paying for airline tickets for us to fly back and forth to Louisiana for the first 90 days to settle things back at home, they are giving us paid time off to do so.  They kept our jobs open and offered them to us first.  Our new offices even have a free espresso bar!

In addition to this support a separate GU Employee Hurricane Fund was set up to help those of us with extenuating financial burdens and our CEO Tom Macon personally gave $100,000.00.  The fund wasn’t just for those who came to KC it was for EVERYONE who was working at Grantham when the hurricane hit.  [No one mentioned this fact when voicing criticism on this forum – I wonder if they cashed their checks?]  We who came to KC chose to come here to take care of our families and our students. Yes, “our students”.  We care about them.  

You chose to stay for your own reasons and you certainly have that right, but you don’t have the right to criticize those of us who came and/or the institution that made it possible for us to keep our jobs while literally tens of thousands from the Gulf region lost theirs.  Check out Loyola, Dillard, Tulane, Xavier, Southern University, Delgado and other schools.  Louisiana's higher-education commissioner, E. Joseph Savoie, said Hurricane Katrina had displaced “at least 10,000 public-college employees”.  What options were they offered?  Except for presidents and tenured faculty, no one was offered an alternative to keep their jobs like us, no one is getting a paycheck, and no one will be getting paid until at least the first of next year.

Note to “former” and “concerned” - Grantham doesn’t owe you a job – grow up & take responsibility for your decision – you made your choice, don’t complain about it.  Had you given a temporary move to KC a chance you would have had at your disposal all of the above benefits plus help with legal issues through Grantham’s legal department, and access to crisis counselors that Grantham has been making available to us free of charge...on company time.  You would also have been given a generous raise as Grantham’s way of saying thanks.  You would have been offered a move package worth thousands of dollars.  Corporations move people every day.  So does the military.  Unlike traditional transfers however, this move was forced on all of us and yet some criticize Grantham for acting quickly and decisively to continue full operations in the face of the largest natural disaster in American history.

Life is good here and the people of Kansas City are great.  They’ve made us feel at home.  We have our jobs.  I hope that we’ll have a White Christmas!  I know that we’ll be paying our bills and will be able to afford to put presents beneath the tree.

Many of us have families and some left loved ones at home to be here – frankly our situation is much like our military students – they leave their loved ones at home too.  But the difference is that we can leave to go back to Louisiana anytime we want, or we can stay for 6 months, a year, two, or forever…the choice is ours.  It has always been ours.  One question for those who complain about how this move to KC was originally presented – since the facilities that housed 95% of our staff was completely destroyed, and since there is no where to move in St. Tammany or surrounding Parishes, just what should have Grantham done?  Close and lay off staff like the other colleges and universities?

Grantham even made their HR department available to our spouses to help them find jobs.  

Someone criticized our CEO Tom Macon, yet he was here to meet us upon our arrival.  He has been here for 6 straight weeks and is away from home too.  On our first day here – he gathered us around and got choked up telling us how much he appreciated us making the long trip and that he had a good idea about how we were feeling and what we went through as he reminisced about his own experience with a destructive hurricane that ripped through his neighborhood in Pensacola last year.  He had over $50K in uninsured losses last year himself.  He and Grantham have truly taken care of us, well beyond anything that I ever had heard of from any other college or university.  

Grantham was no different than the thousands of other employers that had to make big decisions with limited information after Katrina.  Fortunately Grantham acted quickly and decisively to move forward (like all of us who came up I might add).  But they were different from many because they offered all of us a chance to keep our paychecks coming in…you turned that option down and then you criticize Grantham for it.

After Katrina destroyed most of our facilities we had nowhere to report to work, yet Grantham paid our salaries and benefits and offered every one of us our same job in Kansas City.  Wasn’t your paycheck automatically deposited in your account (or mailed to you) despite the fact that you weren’t working the week of Katrina and despite our destroyed campus and offices?  Didn’t Grantham deliver?  Why didn’t you mention that?

By the way, for those of you who write to this ‘forum’, get your facts straight first and don’t fabricate yarns or distort the truth to make it appear that you are somehow a victim.  You had a choice and you made it.  Speaking of facts, it was widely known that a KC campus had been planned for over a year and was intended to be an expansion (not a replacement) in 2006.  But the hurricane forced both an acceleration and change in plans.  Perhaps you also want to hold Grantham accountable for the hurricanes too?

I was originally attracted to come to work for Grantham for the great pay (top ten paying employers in St. Tammany Parish) and great benefits including 100% company paid health insurance and 100% paid tuition (text books and software included) for employees.  Working here I found a culture of care – care for the student, and care about us as individuals and employees.  I came up because I believe in Grantham and I’m staying because Grantham has lived up to and delivered on everything that they told us. I’m happy to be here in KC.  I’m happy to be with Grantham.  I’m happy to have my job.  Good luck to you!
Student
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 12:46:42 AM »

GU:

I read some of your articles going back and forth.  I'm sorry for everything that has happened to all of you.....we all do.  It's really unfortunate and a tragedy.   I can't even imagine thinking of what it might have taken to make a life changing decision such as pulling up stakes and moving in a matter of days.    On the selfish side of this I was concerned about the future of the program and the impact on me following the storm.  Would  I have have to start all over again with a new on-line university?  I really didn't want to go thru this.  However,  the bottom line is I'm a student located overseas and the level of service that we received was seamless.  My assignments continued to be graded on time and the progression towards my degree is still in check as it was at this time prior to the storm.  To that I give "Two Thumbs Up" to Grantham.  Am I still concerned that the program could go under and we'd have to look elsewhere and start over again?.........Oh hell yeah!  I'm hoping this doesn't happen!

To the critics (former employees) that may have written negative comments about Grantham please be assured that I am a neutral party.  I am a student lookiing from the outside in just expressing my opinion about the impact the storm had on a student and how Grantham continued to operate (as stated above......very well).  Hopefully you all get back on your feet as soon as possible (both current and ex Grantham employees) and life gets back to normal again.  

Thanks.

[%sig%]
Kasey Mills
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 9:06:24 PM »

I'm not sure who former or current employee are, but I'm not afraid to put my name down.  I was the VA Certifying Official for Grantham before the storm.  My home took over 2 feet of flooding and I was unable to move to KC in the time permitted (less than one week).  You see, my wife is 11 weeks pregnant and my daughter was living in Florida while I rebuilt my home.  My home was infested with mold and God knows what else and I had to tear out over 2 to 3 feet of drywall and throw away all my furniture in order to make my home healthy to live in again.  I did not have power for over three weeks and had to do everything without the assistance of power tools.  My home is still not back in order.  I just replaced the cabinets in my daughter’s bathroom today and plan to do the same with my bathroom tomorrow.  I still smell mold in my home.  Maybe "former employee" did not put things in a favorable light, but "current employee" is putting everything in a “Grantham can do no evil” light.  This is my side of the story.  I spent the first week after the storm trying to get information about the move with little success.  At no fault of Grantham, I did not have reliable phone service and Internet service was spotty at best.  When I finally did get in touch with HR, I was told that this was a temporary move and that Grantham would be moving back to Slidell.  I was also informed that there would be no cost of living increase (no salary raise) and that only rent would be paid for 90 days.  All utilities would be paid by the employee to include electricity, phone, Internet, TV, water, etc.    At the end of said 90 days, it would be up to the employee to pay for everything.  I was also informed that per-diem would only be paid for the first 30 days.  I requested to be assigned to the Virginia location because my parents lived there and in addition to saving Grantham thousands of dollars in rent because my parents would allow me to live there, my Daughter would also be taken care of by my parents while I was at work, thereby keeping my child-care costs at a minimum.  My wife could not leave due to her State job (she is a Social Worker and the families she is assigned to take of needed her) so I worked 20 hour days at home to at least try to get the mold out of my home (a job that I am still working on) so that it would not affect her pregnancy.  Other employees were being assigned to the Virginia location, but my request was turned down.  Reason: I could not perform my job there.  I accepted that decision.  I later spoke with my manager via e-mail and told him that I would be willing to move to the KC location to assist my students but I required two things from Grantham to help me.  First, I needed an extra $1.25 an hour to offset the cost of the extra utilities and bills I would incur while helping Grantham back on their feet.  This would add up to a measly $10 extra a day that I requested from Grantham (not the $45 a day that they usually pay for per diem rates).  I also requested to have a four-day weekend once a month so I could drive home to take care of things at my home.  I even stated that I would be working the extra hours during to week to make up for the time I was asking for off.  My manager ran my request through both Tom and Roy.  My answer: “all three demands were disapproved at the senior management level-consider all negotiations officially over with- I will have the H/R department prepare the required paperwork for termination.” (Quoted directly from the e-mail).  My statement to “current employee”, bravo that you received free room and board and even received a raise, I received none of those things and was fired for even asking.  I did not choose to be terminated for trying to take care of my pregnant wife and child so your accusation of “Note to “former” and “concerned” - Grantham doesn’t owe you a job – grow up & take responsibility for your decision – you made your choice, don’t complain about it” does not hold true for me.  I requested what you say you are now receiving and was terminated.  I requested time to take care of things at home and was told “We understand you point of view however, we have a business to rebuild and require people on the ground now.”(Again, quoted directly from the e-mail received).  I understand Grantham’s point of view.  They need to make their money and keep running, but do not try to sit here and tell me that everyone was offered this great opportunity.  I was only offered to leave my family behind, pay extra utility bills in KC, not have a chance to come back to see my family and, oh yes, I may not even have a job at the end of the first 90 days.  “Employees in good standing are offered their current job at current pay and benefits. Jobs will be located in Kansas City or Arlington for at least the next 90 days.  There are no guarantees for employment.” (Yes, again quoted directly from e-mail from management).  I am curious who “current employee” is.  I am certain that I know you because I worked for Grantham for over a year and a half.  I have stayed out of the discussions before because quite frankly, I have been too busy trying to rebuild my life and take care of my family, but the whole truth needs to be told.  Former Employee has the right to say what he/she wants as do you, Current Employee.  It appears that I have a different story to tell.  Many other boards have people saying the same things as Former Employee.  My Division Officer has requested that I speak with the Navy Campus about my particular situation.  I am a US Navy Veteran and current Reservist.  Up until now, I have shied away from it, but it seems that Grantham is busy tooting it’s own horns and telling the world how great it treated it’s employees.  Well, no one asked me about how I was treated.  Hearing from Current Employee has upset me to new heights.  To hear that I was denied and my employment terminated because of my simple and humble request only to hear that other employees have received a “generous raise” when I simply requested an extra $1.25 to help offset my additional expenses and make ends meet while helping Grantham and to keep my family on it’s feet during an already tumultuous time is disturbing.  My story is not unique.  I know at least four other employees (including two management level employees) that were treated in a similar fashion.  As stated earlier, up until this point, I did not fault Grantham on their decision.  I always knew that we were expendable and planned accordingly, but they are not the benevolent, caring company that they make themselves out to be on these boards.  At least, that is the opinion that I have come to believe after my treatment.
Former Employee
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 12:08:07 AM »

Good job telling it like it is Kasey.  I do know you and have worked with you.  You and Tanya had trained my class when I first started.  You were always very knowledgeable when it came to VA policy.  I had heard that you quit.  This is a different story and I’m glad that you are telling it.  

To make matters worse, I have tried to take my Grantham credits to a few other schools and none of them will accept the credits.  How is that for being kicked while being down.  I always knew that what I was selling was less than what a big name University was offering, but I had no idea that it was a completely worthless education.  LSU wont even touch the credits.  Neither will UNO or Southeastern.  Now I have wasted a bunch of my time taking classes that no one will accept.  Grantham offered them to us employees for free.  I guess you get what you pay for.
Current Employee
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 6:32:44 AM »

To the writer “Kasey Mills”, you didn’t answer the questions I posed.  And, before you start another rant about any other so called inequities, the readers of this forum deserve an answer so that they can develop an informed opinion.

1.   Was your paycheck automatically deposited in your account (or mailed to you), and were you paid for a full week despite the fact that you weren’t working the week of Katrina?  Did Grantham deliver to you on time despite the fact that most of our campus and offices were destroyed?
2.   Did you get, and cash, a check from the GU Employee Fund?  (NOTE:  All people that were Grantham employees as of 8/29/05 received a check whether they came to KC or not.)   Was this unfair treatment?

To clarify a point, I didn’t write a Grantham commercial, I wrote a Grantham defense because it was my observation that not one of the disgruntled writers gave Grantham credit for anything except for perceived negatives!  

“Kasey Mills” you did stipulate “At no fault of Grantham, I did not have reliable phone service and Internet service was spotty at best.”  “Kasey”, your concession about utility service problems not being Grantham’s fault was really big of you, but you didn’t say whether you believe that it’s Grantham’s fault that the hurricane hit us.  Or stated another way - was Hurricane Katrina an evil plot planned and perpetrated by Grantham so that everyone would be forced to move to Kansas City, and then according to alleged conspiracy and ‘former employee’ folklore, everyone could be fired after training Kansas City replacements for their jobs?

If it weren’t so pathetic it would be amusing that you are slamming Grantham for the injustices you perceive.

I am a current employee, but anger is showing on this forum and quite frankly I’m afraid to state my name for fear of being the recipient of the same cyber bullying that Grantham is now victim of.  I would be afraid to run into whoever you all are in some dark parking lot because of your decision to stay in Louisiana and are angry because you no longer have your job, a job that you could have kept had you chosen to come to KC, even temporarily.  Not coming was your right, but don’t whine or malign Grantham about it.  I came up and I have some of the same challenges as you!  Almost all of us have the same challenges as you.  What makes you so special?

“Kasey”, you wrote “My wife could not leave due to her State job (she is a Social Worker and the families she is assigned to take of needed her) so I worked 20 hour days at home to at least try to get the mold out of my home…”, and that your “wife is 11 weeks pregnant”.  Are you so arrogant as to believe others of us don’t have lives as well?  One of the people who came up was 8 ½ months pregnant when she arrived and she delivered her baby here!  How is that for effort?  How is that for special?  Many others lost EVERYTHING…not counting dealing with their own water and mold issues.  Frankly almost everyone had water and mold.  What makes your case so special?  Get over yourself!  Your wife has a State job and is getting paid to take care of families that need her.  You are lucky that she has one of the very few good jobs remaining in southern Louisiana and that she can support you.  But speaking of families that need to be supported, what about our families and those of us who came up to take care of them?  Are we and our families not as important as yours?  What about taking care of our students?  Should we turn our backs on them like you did?  Your wife didn’t turn her back on her job and the families that need her so why did you turn your back on your job and our students that need us?

Your forum post is VERY telling “Kasey”, you stated that your manager wrote back to you “…all three demands were disapproved…”  You also said that you insisted on but didn’t receive special consideration.  So the truth is exposed “Kasey”, the truth is that you made a demand?  Demands?  Are you kidding?  I came up with my family and unlike you I didn’t ask for anything extra other than my job, and I didn’t speak with anyone up here that told me they attempted to negotiate the special privileges that you apparently demanded (a $2500/year raise and 4 day weekends).  A few more questions “Kasey” - were you trying to shake down Grantham during their time of need, or as you put it during the time needed for “Grantham to get back on their feet”?  What makes you more special than us?  Who do you think you are?  What do you think that Grantham owes you?  Are the families your wife takes care of more important than our families?  Are they more important than our students?  If so, why?  How many hundreds of thousands of people from Louisiana and Mississippi don’t have any jobs at all, and weren’t ever offered one?  Do you read the newspaper or ever visit any Internet news sites?  There are over 1 million people displaced from the Gulf Region – how many of them left town having a secure job offer in their new destination?  You turned down what thousands of others would have done anything for - a secure job and benefits.  Get a grip.

It’s interesting that you work “20 hours a day” and still have time to monitor this site and whine about how you were treated.  Look in the mirror “Kasey” and be honest – you are really mad that you didn’t get what you wanted aren’t you?  You stomp your feet, act out, and whine like a baby.  There is one concession ease your small, selfish mind, and it will probably make you happy - none of us got what we wanted.  None of us wanted this hurricane.  None of us wanted to lose our homes.  None of us wanted family members injured or killed.  None of us wanted to experience the losses we’ve experienced.  But at least our employer gave us a chance that few others have – we have the security of our jobs.  Yet that wasn’t’ enough for you - you are angry and spew venomous accusations because Grantham didn’t tailor-make a better benefits program offer for you over all the rest of us.  I don’t feel sorry for you - I am angry at you for your arrogance and for being so damn selfish.  It is you who is not benevolent or caring and it is you who are spoiled and self-interested.  Go get another job and quit your whining.

PS - Grantham wasn’t perfect, some people had to wait longer than usual in the hotel room because they couldn’t get apartments that would accept their dogs/pets right away.  Others brought their parents and extended families and they too had to wait longer in the hotel while Grantham found them a larger space.  Some of us had to wait a day or two to speak to the counselors that Grantham lined up and paid for.  And still others didn’t get the color toaster and appliances they wanted.

[%sig%]
Kasey
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 12:21:56 PM »

Wow, looks like someone’s feathers were ruffled.  First, to answer your question, no, I do not monitor this or any other boards.  I was actually in the bathroom putting up drywall and cabinets to replace the ones that were flooded and I received a call from one of my friends in my unit letting me know that you had posted and bashed me.  Not really the best thing to do while trying to defend your holy position but whatever you need to do to sleep at night and feel better about yourself.  I really do not think that you are afraid to put who you are because you are somehow afraid of me.  If you knew me, you would know that I am an extremely friendly person.  It’s just when injustices are perpetrated that I feel the need to speak out.  I think that the real reason is because you are afraid to let anyone know that you are a Grantham spin doctor and probably in a higher position.  By your writing style, I think I know who you are, but for fear of accusing someone wrongly, I’ll keep that to myself until you can muster the courage to let everyone know who you are and what position you hold in the company.  If I am correct in my belief, you are and always were a lapdog and will never post your real identity anyways so it really does not matter.  Please try to remember that the weight given to an “anonymous” poster holds little weight.  I give that same advise to “former employee” as well.

I’ll now answer your other questions.  Yes, I did receive my check.  I had to make a few calls and send a few e-mails, but it did come about a month after the storm.  I thank Grantham for taking care of that and the HR department in particular.  I did not, however, receive any payment for my unused days off (vacation, sick, etc.)  Since my Grantham account was deleted and my employee handbook was destroyed in the flood, I am unsure what the policy is about paying out unused time.  I also received the Grantham Katrina relief check, again after making a few calls.  I also appreciate that.  The $250 did not go a long way, but the thought was appreciated.

Now, on to your nonsensical rant.  First, your statement about me thinking that Grantham was responsible for Katrina is well, in a word, idiotic.  No where in my post did I ever claim that Grantham was responsible for the hurricane (or able to control the weather in any way).  I’m not sure where you are getting that from, but please, read everything thoroughly and completely before posting your reply in the future.  I also never stated that employees would be fired after training their KC counterparts, although this was a thought that many employees both current and former were thinking (and still think according to reliable sources).  Again, another fabricated lie by you to discredit my post.  You do have to admit (and this was brought to my attention my another x-employee), it seems awfully suspect that this was touted as a “temporary” move and then later moved to a well, more permanent move than was initially stated.  It would make good business sense to have your seasoned employees train your new employees before finding out that the company was not going to move back to Slidell.  If people knew before hand that this was a permanent move, they would not be so willing to drop everything and move (thereby loosing your training force).  Just a thought.

To continue, I am not so arrogant to think that others did not have similar problems.  As a matter of fact, I have seen and spoken to other ex-employees that stayed to take care of their homes and their experience with Grantham is similar to mine.  One I spoke with the other day at the store (I will not put her name down because I do not know if she wants to be a part of this) told me that her e-mail had been down and just came up a few days ago.  She checked her e-mail and did not receive a single e-mail from Grantham asking how she was.  Since the storm, she has not received a single call from her manager making sure that she was all right.  She did, however, receive her termination notice in the mail last week.  I would like to ask you a question as well.  Are you so arrogant to think that everyone should have left their homes and families in ruin to help a school that did not so much as give anyone definite answers on their future (or at least try to answer those questions)?  I asked multiple times if this was a permanent or temporary move and received no concrete answers.  I was told time and again that it was suppose to be a temporary move, but they were not sure and could not give a definite answer.  Should I have packed up everything and left my family to fend for themselves to help a school that would not even give me the courtesy of letting me know where my family would stand in 90 days?  And don’t try to say that I did not care about my students.  For all Grantham employees both past and present that knew me, my students were the only reason that I was still at Grantham.  I had stated that on several occasions to management.  They were more than just a number to me, and I’m sure you know what I am referring to.  They were more than just a star or mark on the wall.  They were real people trying to get an education, and I took care of them to the best of my ability.  They were more than just a “lead” or an “opportunity” which they were so often callously referred to.  And again, please re-read my post before you spew forth more lies.  I never claimed that my family was more important than yours.  Bravo that Grantham stepped forth to take care of who they could.  But on their own website (which I might add is no longer showing) it stated and I quote “For those staff whose personal situation does not permit reporting to either Kansas City or Arlington on Tuesday, September 6th, please contact the Personnel Department or your manager to discuss your specific circumstance. We want to work with you and will make every effort to accommodate needs. The University is considering a variety of options to ensure job continuity including an unpaid excused absence to hold a job open, etc.”   When I took Grantham up on their offer and discussed my specific circumstances, no “unpaid leave of absence” was offered.  I requested what I did in order to be able to move to KC (temporarily) to continue taking care of my job while still being able to take care of my family that I had to leave behind.  If they could not accommodate my needs at that time, why was I not offered a leave of absence until they returned to Slidell or until I was able to take care of my home?  I did not turn my back on my students.  I did everything that I could including sending my daughter to stay four states away to enable me to move to help my students.  I financially could not take on even more money going out to utility bills on an apartment located in KC.  It was ludicrous for them to ask in the first place.  I also could not leave not knowing what was going to happen in 90 days.  

Your post is very “telling” as well.  No where in my post did I ever say that I or my family was more important that anyone else.  No where in my post did I say that I was making “demands”.  I made a request based on the information that I had at the time.  I was told that I would need to pay all utilities.  I was told that I would have to pay for all expenses after 90 days.  I was also told that I may or may not have a job after said 90 days.  I asked for one four day weekend a month to travel home to take care of my family (not every weekend like you portray in your post) and I told management that I would be working extra hours during that week to make for a 40 hour work week.  How is that “unreasonable demands”.  I applaud you for being able to abandon your home and leave your life behind.  I however, could not without a concrete game plan.  None was given at any point.  I’m happy that they gave some the opportunity to continue on.  If they had no intent to continue in Slidell, I wish they would have just come out and told everyone, not post that they would hold job opening for those who could not relocate and insist that this was a temporary move.  I’m not angry with Grantham for there decisions.  I understand how businesses run and Grantham is a textbook case (literally, read the BA101 textbook and you’ll see).  You however, feel the need to attack me for giving my side of a three-sided story.  “Former Employee” had nothing but negative to say about Grantham.  You seem to be the poster child for Grantham.  I had a third view, and unlike you or “Former Employee”, I do not have a problem saying who I really am.  In the future, there is no need to refer to me as “Kasey” in quotation marks.  I am who I say I am.  I have a feeling that you know me personally, so don’t condescend to putting my name in quotes.   What is the worse that can happen to me?  Are you going to fire me again?  Everything I am putting down I can back up with documented e-mails.  Before you shut off my e-mail account, I forwarded everything to my home e-mail address, so again, I can back everything up.  As I said, I am not angry with Gratham.  I do not let my emotions control me as you do apparently.   I feel sorry for those who went up to KC thinking that they would be coming home in 90 days, then 180 days then, who knows when.  Speaking with employees that are up there (yes, even though Grantham tries to forbid it, and I’m certain that you know what I am speaking about) there is quite a lot of confusion and discontent.  Information is being passed around, then changed, then re-changed.  Nothing new, just business as usual.  To “current employee”, I am happy that you found a home in KC and wish you nothing but the best in the future.  My main point on this board was to let other employees that were left behind know that their story is not unique.  Of all the people that I am still in contact with, no one was surprised about how they were treated.  As stated in my earlier post, everyone I knew at Grantham knew that they were expendable.  People were getting fired (or quitting) left and right even before the storm, so nothing really has changed, just the location.  I was happy to work at Grantham and help my veterans.  If any of them are reading this, please know that I enjoyed working with all of you.  To the employees of Grantham, I was equally happy working with you.  Many of you loved your students immensely.  I am happy that those who went have found a home.  I hope all your prayers are answered soon if they have not already been.  I consider myself lucky.  I still have a home to live in (albeit a bit messy) and I still get to kiss my wife and daughter goodnight every night.  My daughter is back living with us again and is extremely happy to be home.  Anyone who knows the backstory to my daughter knows that this was not an easy time for her.  She had just found permanence and had a room of her own just to have it destroyed.  Hers was the first room we put back together.  We anxiously await the birth of our next child in a home that I have been able to save with my own hands.  Yes, life is good.

To “former employee”, I feel for you brother/sister.  I am in the same boat.  I had completed almost two semesters and no other school will touch my credits.  My friend that worked there also, same story.  He had one semester completed and he wanted to transfer to LSU or Southeastern and they will not accept any of the credits either.  Fort Hayes University (Regionally Accredited University online) sent me an e-mail letting me know that none of the credits I earned at Grantham are recognized, but the 22 credits I earned at a local community college in California over 10 years ago would be no problem to transfer in, so I least have something.  Starting over stinks, but I least I still have my home to start over in.
Concerned
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 2:23:41 PM »

I thought all this ranting "Current Employee" was doing was done and over with that last letter, so I never felt any reason to respond, but come on, you get the prize for being a big "bully".....So I will give you my take on this whole thing......... I'm agraid to give my name because of people like you....why take all this rage out on an employee who is still hurting........you are the pathetic one......at least "Kasey" has the guts to put his name to an article and tell more of the truth than you seem to spit out.....how much extra are you getting paid for your venomous words.....this person has every right, as you do, to state how he was treated, and instead of giving him a break, you spit more pathetic venom on him.....you should be so proud of yourself, don't you feel really, really high and mighty......no one was picking on you, but you seem to take particular joy in tearing this "Kasey" apart because he put his family before Grantham.......he was  was simple stating the truth, and you in your arrogance, decided to play Granthams savior.....well, guess what, Grantham can take care of itself, they have showed that in this whole senario, yes?   You tend to sound like you are taking this very personal, yet  "Kasey" has not run down anyone, just stating the facts of his situation......Do you realize how small that makes you seem in everyones eyes that is reading your ranting and raving at one person.....who made you the grand protector of Grantham? They can take care of themselves?    If you think about it, you sound like someone hired to take on anyone and everyone that dares to talk bad about Grantham.....well, guess what, they don't need someone like you, because through it all, you are making Grantham sound very bad  with our own writings.....you seem to have lots of time to write for someone busy at a "Job"! .....Calm down, think about why you are picking on this particular person, and does he really deserve all your venom for just giving his opinion and truth about what happened to "him".......Walk in his shoes for awhile and see how you like them!     You are afraid to give your name, come on, this person never threathened anyone, but I'll tell you something, I'm more afraid of someone like you, who says he has everything going well, yet he finds joy in picking on someone who lost alot......check your motives "Current Employee", you must have other underlying reasons for such hate......Forget Grantham, your should feel ashamed, you should......get a grip, relax and worry more about yourself than your employer, and go help someone who could use all the energy you put into your hateful letters to "Kasey"........One last thing, should I worry that I will get your next hateful letter, because I spoke my opinion?   I would not like to meet you down some dark alley, because I'd be very afraid.......

[%sig%]
concerned
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 3:50:26 PM »

Sorry I didn't read your reply before blowing off some steam at current employee, but the anger in his or her voice set me off.....You on the other hand, not only give your name, but also kept your dignity....this says alot about who you are, being able to  wish well to the person who gave you such grief  in his angry letter, the"Current employee"......One thing for sure, you have class Mr. Kasey Mills.........hoping I will not have to answer any more venom filled letters from Current Employee.....I'm beginning to think this person doesn't GET IT!!!!!   Good luck to you and your family. With your attitude you will all be fine, but Grantham and your students have lost a very caring worker and friend.......Sad for them, great for your next employer.......take heart Mr. Mills, your angry "Current Employee" may well think I am the next person to spit out his angry emails......I try not to take sides, but because of this one current employee ganging up on you, I could not be quite, even if it means I will be his next victim.   Again, good luck in the future to you and your family, you certainly have earned it.......

[%sig%]
forum reader
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 3:48:06 PM »

You are one sick cookie, whoever you are, why such a hate for this one person, Kasey?    I read all the letters, and read nothing of what you are writing back to him about.  I did not  hear any whining from him, just facts about how he was treated and terminated.  That he thought it was not right.  On the other hand,  lots of whining from you about him.   What is that about?  

If everything was, and is so perfect for you, then why do you insist on kicking a guy when he is going through his own personal crisis.  He never stated his crisis was worse than any other, so you get "facts clear".  Cracks about his wife, come on, that is just plain evil, even from someone like you whose mouth knows no bounds.    You know nothing about how he feels about his students, so stop with your guessing.   He told you how he feels about them and his former work mates.   Sounds like some sour grapes from you, was he better liked than you or something?  Only someone with a personal ax to grind would pick on a person for stating opinions.  Maybe everyone reading your letter should think about that for awhile, is it personal?  I did not hear him yelling at you about your decision to go, not about others either.   He stated he was pleased for everyone that made there particular decision.    In fact, never once did he put you down or kick at you with words.   Makes one wonder, what is your problem?  Is it a small person complex?   Think about it?

Excuse me, but when has it been wrong to voice your own opinion about a work place experience, etc?   It's still the United States of America last time I checked.    You need some serious help my friend, when you feel the need to stomp on this guy Kasey, the writer Conerned and the former employee.  I must say the meanest letter seems to be to Kasey, which begs the question again, are you upset with him personally because he was a better worker than you or more popular?   Can't we all just get along?

Also, I do not think Grantham University needs someone with your nasty mouth to defend them, do you?   Did it ever occur to you that Kasey may have been treated just as he says?   Were you on the phone, e-mail, or a fly on the wall when he was in talks with his former employer?  To most of us in this office reading his post, and some know Grantham, it sounds very much the truth, more believable because of your nasty attack on Kasey Mills.  If it was not true, why even answer, the truth will out.

I think you need to go back to work, your very good job, and we are so happy for you, go back and do your job, defend yourself if you have to, but leave the defending of Grantham to those in charge.    Hopefully Grantham would give this person the right to state what has happened to him without your two cents worth of put-downs.  

Do you read your own letters before posting?   Do you notice how long the letters are?    Don't mind me, but it does seem like a little over kill.   Think about it next time you write to kick one particular person when he is down and working hard to get back where he started.    If you are happy, then please, go on with your perfect life, give everyone else a break, get off the Grantham Band Wagon, and most of all leave the people who do not agree with your Band Wagon alone.   If you are bucking for a raise out of your nasty writings, then good luck.    The truth is, you make Grantham look as if they "need" defending.   What does that tell all of us reading your post?    Very telling, in a strange sort of way.

The one thing I'm feeling sorry about is that maybe I lowered myself to your eye level by answering this, and for that I worry, but still I felt it necessary for someone to ask you WHY such hate for this one person?  What are your motives?   That is it.   Hope I will not hear from you, although you can't seem to resist being combative over personal opinions.

[%sig%]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: