• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 1:53:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 132
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pregnancy Thread  (Read 289653 times)
tranquil_prof
Formally expectingprof

« Reply #1650 on: April 05, 2012, 9:56:19 AM »

Actually, this weekend (almost one month postpartum) I have planned my first trip back to the gym--to occur during my regular class time, since the college is closed for the holiday weekend.  I definitely plan to take it easy at the gym--no more than one hour of cardio max and they have a steam room there which will be my little post-workout reward--that and the little thrift store shopping I plan to do at the store across the street from the gym.

I have to admit reading this and feeling a bit envious! I took a trip out of the house for a couple hours without my son about six weeks after he was born once for a health appointment. Besides that, I did not spend more than an hour away from him for his first few months of life, and there was certainly no way I was going to get to the gym (despite being a regular exerciser before he was born). Running on 4-5 hours a sleep each day max for weeks made exercise seem implausible, and him breastfeeding every 2-3 hours didn't help, either.

Occasionally I felt like people were judging me for not being able to do more sooner. After all, I hadn't even had a C-section, what was so tough? I wish everyone (and particularly mothers, who are often so judgmental of each other) could keep in mind that each baby is different, and just because someone is having a difficult time adjusting does not mean that they are a bad parent or doing something wrong.
scienceprof
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #1651 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:38 AM »

Congrats to powergarden!

Hip geek, you continue to amaze me with your stamina and recovery powers.

Great point, tranquil prof, every baby is different, as is every mother and every childbirth, so comparisons are not useful.

The plural of anecdote is not data
titania

« Reply #1652 on: April 07, 2012, 7:16:28 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/08/fashion/at-parties-revealing-a-babys-gender.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

For amusement.
hipgeek

« Reply #1653 on: April 07, 2012, 2:51:57 PM »

Congrats to powergarden!

Hip geek, you continue to amaze me with your stamina and recovery powers.

Great point, tranquil prof, every baby is different, as is every mother and every childbirth, so comparisons are not useful.

Oh, I skipped the gym!  I probably could have done it but I'm pretty tired myself and I'm not even exclusively breastfeeding--I do think that would really exhaust me.  I just went to the thrift store and ran a couple of other errands.  I was probably away from home for a little over two hours and when I heard he'd been fussy I didn't feel any guilt--just a taste of pleasure that my husband gets to know how freaking draining it can be to be stuck at home alone with the baby.

Even though I'm not exclusively breastfeeding, I'm still the primary caregiver and I don't even want to tally how much sleep I'm getting.  I do try to nap during the day but I miss uninterrupted sleep.  Although, since during pregnancy I woke up throughout the night to pee, it's been quite a while since I had regular, unbroken sleep anyway.

Menotti,  I hear you about not wanting to reveal early.  Maybe when/ if people ask you could just casually say, "Well, I hadn't planned to tell people yet" and maybe they can pick up the hint, offer good wishes and not pry again until you're ready to discuss?  (Of course that's a lot of maybes and relying on folks to have discretion and tact!)

I have no tolerance for swinish behavior, except from actual swine.
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #1654 on: April 09, 2012, 10:00:21 PM »

Menotti, we've got it both ways in our family. One niece who already has two girls decided to find out early. Of course, the pregnancy was the surprise in the first place. She was on the pill, breastfeeding a 13-month old, and adamant that she was not pregnant. Yes, she was. 3 months to be exact. Due in June.

The other has two children, a boy and a girl, by a previous husband. She and her current husband decided to wait until this baby is born in August.

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
felixrose

« Reply #1655 on: April 10, 2012, 8:04:43 AM »

I want this baby to come out! Come out, come out, come out! Ok, so I'm only 38 weeks and 4 days and I won't do anything medical to get him out, but these last few weeks are really awful.  I have no motivation to get my work done (except that panicky feeling that I'll never get it done again.)  But, panic does not lead to constructive writing and I really, really, wanted a third chapter completely drafted before he arrived.  I keep reminding myself that I have chunks of every chapter written, the entire dissertation outlined, all (ok, most) of the research done.  I have set myself up to finish writing this thing over the summer.  It will be fine.  Baby and dissertation will grow up together and I am lucky to have the flexibility to do this. 

Sigh, sorry.  Felixspouse doesn't understand writing a dissertation and I needed to vent. 
senay
Wholesome

« Reply #1656 on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:09 PM »

Felixrose, just don't put extra pressure on yourself by worrying about the diss.  It will get done, and you will have a lovely baby and Ph.D.  Try to rest up in anticipation of your new arrival!  :)

My own vent.  I am 20 weeks, so fully into the second trimester, and my energy is incredibly low.  Whatever happened to that second-trimester energy surge?  I wake up tired, spend all day tired, and am ready to cry by 9pm.  Of course, with this pregnancy I am chasing my two-year-old half the day (no daycare) and working full-time, whereas last time I was only working full-time.  At least once the semester is over I can rest for a few months over the summer.  Semester, end now!

Any tips or suggestions, wise friends?

Senay

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.
collegekidsmom

« Reply #1657 on: April 10, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »

Senay, Any possibility of a break for you at all? A small amount of guaranteed alone time no matter what it costs? Sounds like you need two hours to yourself here and there to rest/regroup. Is there any way you can make it happen? Can you schedule that as something as important as all the other million things you are doing in a day (not on the fly, but schedule it) One day you will look back and see that you are doing a lot just keeping up with everything that's on your plate. It is a tiring schedule to read here. It would be good to get some regular alone time now before a second baby comes. The two hours would be sit, stare, lie down, sit in coffee shop looking out window, watch stupid TV while on bed, nothing more taxing than that.
unoriginal

« Reply #1658 on: April 10, 2012, 4:20:41 PM »

Senay,  I'm at 20 weeks too, and not feeling particularly energetic.  I too am waking up tired, tired all day, falling asleep by 1 pm (!) and well past ready for bed by 9.  And I don't even have a 2 year old to chase!  I do, however have a full time job and two older children who seem to need lots of chauffeuring and other attention. 

My only tip - let go.  Don't do what doesn't have to be done.  And hang in there till the end of the semester.  Just 2 more teaching weeks for me!  (but of course, I signed up to teach this summer before I knew I was pregnant.  Ugh.)
scienceprof

« Reply #1659 on: April 10, 2012, 5:48:13 PM »

My own vent.  I am 20 weeks, so fully into the second trimester, and my energy is incredibly low.  Whatever happened to that second-trimester energy surge?  I wake up tired, spend all day tired, and am ready to cry by 9pm.  Of course, with this pregnancy I am chasing my two-year-old half the day (no daycare) and working full-time, whereas last time I was only working full-time.  At least once the semester is over I can rest for a few months over the summer.  Semester, end now!

Any tips or suggestions, wise friends?

Senay

Do you have a friend or family member who could watch your toddler one evening?  Or is there a "Mothers day out" program in your area?

The plural of anecdote is not data
titania

« Reply #1660 on: April 11, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »

Sorry senay and unoriginal for the fatigue.  I remember waiting for the second trimester energy to come and being disappointed!  I still can't imagine being pregnant with a toddler to chase after as well.

Felixrose, hope your baby comes soon!  I didn't do any writing in the last month because my brain was just not in the right place!  I am just starting to think about writing again here at 5-6 weeks postpartum.
hipgeek

« Reply #1661 on: April 11, 2012, 3:05:22 PM »

I am just starting to think about writing again here at 5-6 weeks postpartum.

Now this impresses me!  I can't imagine writing with my boy in the same house. 

HG, another one who missed out on the fabled 2nd trimester energy boost.

menotti

« Reply #1662 on: April 12, 2012, 3:47:30 AM »

Had a small heart attack yesterday when the midwife called me after hours "to discuss your blood test results", but luckily they were ok and she just didn't want to leave a message.
hipgeek

« Reply #1663 on: April 12, 2012, 6:20:01 AM »

Had a small heart attack yesterday when the midwife called me after hours "to discuss your blood test results", but luckily they were ok and she just didn't want to leave a message.

Oh, poor Menotti!  I hate that.  When I can remember, I usually ask docs to please leave an indication at least whether or not I should be concerned because I can be a real worrywart.  I'm very glad, though, that everything was fine for you.

senay
Wholesome

« Reply #1664 on: April 12, 2012, 11:47:50 AM »

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I know that I don't give myself enough me-time -- about 2 hours a week instead of 2 hours a day.  I will try to schedule it in, though with the end of the semester, it is rough.  Before I was pregnant, I committed to running a conference (next week) and so I've had extra work on top of the usual.  But, in good news, I had the 20 week ultrasound today and everything is fine!  The little boy is active and cute in 3D.

Menotti, I had the same heart attack with my first child.  I was on vacation over Xmas and the doctors called two weeks after the 20 week ultrasound "to address some concerns."  The time difference made it impossible for me to call back that day, and then there was a three-day holiday weekend!  I had four days of panic before finding out about a potential issue -- which had resolved itself (placenta previa) by the next ultrasound two weeks later.  I've found myself able to deal with things much better with this second child -- the first time, it's all so new and terrifying.

Wishing everyone good naps and a restful weekend to come!

Senay

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 132
  Print  

Jump to: