• May 25, 2016
May 25, 2016, 5:15:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 1510
  Print  
Author Topic: Herd your cats here  (Read 1520466 times)
ab_grp
doing the best imitation of myself as a
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #2670 on: February 19, 2010, 8:53:25 am »

Monkeydoc, I used up a bunch of tissues just reading that story and can't imagine what it must be like to have to go through it.  It sounds like you provided very comforting last moments for your kitty.

Quote from: bread_pirate_naan
You are a genius. 

There is apparently no joy in life that mathematicians will not attempt to dessicate with the dry, hot air of statistical analysis. -anonymous commenter
llanfair
Still reading past her bedtime and Very

Whither Canada?

« Reply #2671 on: February 19, 2010, 9:05:42 am »

Wiping away tears and thinking of you and yours, MonkeyDoc.  Such a sad loss.

Stop looking for zebras when the horse is already standing on your foot.
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #2672 on: February 19, 2010, 5:51:25 pm »

Squeaks is home.  Both ears are intact; his nether region is not.  All of the other cats are very subdued and quite cautiously curious.  He thinks he's in hiding.  I have news for him; every cat in the house knows exactly where he is.  As a matter of fact, 4 of them haven't stopped staring at his location for the past hour.  It is very, very quiet in the mystic house today.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #2673 on: February 19, 2010, 6:25:08 pm »

Squeaks is home.  Both ears are intact; his nether region is not.  All of the other cats are very subdued and quite cautiously curious.  He thinks he's in hiding.  I have news for him; every cat in the house knows exactly where he is.  As a matter of fact, 4 of them haven't stopped staring at his location for the past hour.  It is very, very quiet in the mystic house today.

I'm so glad Squeaks's ears are intact, MTG!!  That's so funny, about his hiding, and the other cats staring at his hiding place.

When a college roommate had her cat neutered, he turned from a galavanting, strutting tom into a porch squatter.  For the rest of the time we lived together, that cat never left the porch, except to go inside.  My own cat, already neutered, treated him the same as always, but other cats in the neighborhood came and sat on the sidewalk, staring at Roommate's Cat sitting on the porch, almost as if to ask, "Yeah, who's the tough guy now?"

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #2674 on: February 19, 2010, 6:33:07 pm »

So if Hedgepig and I weren't dangling over the precipice of breaking up, tonight should do it. I promised I'd be at his house at 5:30, so I'm on my way out the door, and out scoots Doppel. Now I have to wait for his return. I called Hedgepig. He didn't answer the phone. He probably thought it was me with some sort of flimsy excuse as to why I wouldn't be there.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
sad_goat
Nothin' but love for ya

Requiring tolerance from the tolerant every day.

« Reply #2675 on: February 19, 2010, 6:36:18 pm »

Sorry to break into the food discussion, but I have sad news. My dear, sweet, lovable, neurotic, beautiful gray cat with the luminous golden eyes just died peacefully in my arms. Little Guy was diagnosed with feline leukemia just over the weekend. I had to leave town on Monday to give a talk all the way across the country. I arrived home tonight at 9 and scooped him up in my arms, where he died two hours later. We just lost our Blind Lady 6 weeks ago to feline leukemia too. All of this was out of the blue. Our feline family has been cut in half in 2010 and February isn't even over. I am devastated beyond measure.

They had the very best life with you. Be sad, but be happy too. Do not second guess, do not agonize.

I often wonder which is worse, losing a human or losing a critter. I suppose it is a case-by-case thing.

I wish you peace and comfort.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 6:36:37 pm by sad_goat » Logged

In other words, it is a moral and philosophical question, not a question of details.

...it is proper to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties. - James Madison
oldadjunct

LIFO. Enough said.

« Reply #2676 on: February 19, 2010, 7:14:45 pm »

I apologize, honey, for what I said yesterday.  I don't know what made me think the trash baskets in the office and bathrooms are mine, let alone that they should be perpendicular to the floor.  And I really do love your collage on the office floor.  Really I do. I never saw the organic relationship between envelopes, paper and tissues before now. I promise not to disturb your work ever again.  Can I go in there now?

Honey?  Honey???

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan

OMG!  My partner gave me hu!  What do I do to get rid of hu?
mystictechgal
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #2677 on: February 20, 2010, 10:07:40 pm »

Squeaks has finally come out from hiding and he allowed me to look while he was waiting for me to fill the food bowls.  I'm not going to touch yet because it has to still be painful, but I wanted to look to make sure nothing was looking infected.

O.K.  I'd have to make a list to be sure of the exact number, but I'm guessing I've had somewhere between 30-40 cats in my lifetime.  Quite a few of them have been males.  I have always had my pets neutered, so I'm pretty familiar by now with what post-castration looks like.  It doesn't, in my experience, look anything like this.  Normally, the scrotal sack is slit, the testes removed, and the sack may, or may not, be sutured.  Either way, it's, um, deflated and eventually pretty much disappears.  He's sutured, but it looks almost like they gave him implants.  WTF? 

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.

reesespeanutbutter
Octoprof's chocolate-bearing minion and a

« Reply #2678 on: February 20, 2010, 11:40:36 pm »

Squeaks has finally come out from hiding and he allowed me to look while he was waiting for me to fill the food bowls.  I'm not going to touch yet because it has to still be painful, but I wanted to look to make sure nothing was looking infected.

O.K.  I'd have to make a list to be sure of the exact number, but I'm guessing I've had somewhere between 30-40 cats in my lifetime.  Quite a few of them have been males.  I have always had my pets neutered, so I'm pretty familiar by now with what post-castration looks like.  It doesn't, in my experience, look anything like this.  Normally, the scrotal sack is slit, the testes removed, and the sack may, or may not, be sutured.  Either way, it's, um, deflated and eventually pretty much disappears.  He's sutured, but it looks almost like they gave him implants.  WTF? 

Post-surgery swelling?

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
mystictechgal
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #2679 on: February 21, 2010, 12:25:25 am »

Well, that's what I'm thinking, but it looks quite a bit more uniform and hard than normal swelling.  There's no sign of seepage or infection though.  The oddest part is that it's sutured in a clover-leaf which makes him look like he now has 3 testes instead of two.

I'm wondering if it isn't some kind of reinforced suture technique plus after-care that I'm not used to seeing, used because the cats involved may be immediately re-released without any further ability to check on the healing progress. (Heck, some ferals wouldn't be handleable even if they weren't immediately re-released.)   If that's the case, they may have packed the scrotum with some kind of absorbable antibiotic impregnated material and that could be what I'm seeing.

monkeydoc
martini-toting

« Reply #2680 on: February 21, 2010, 12:39:48 am »

I'm wondering if it isn't some kind of reinforced suture technique plus after-care that I'm not used to seeing, used because the cats involved may be immediately re-released without any further ability to check on the healing progress.  If that's the case, they may have packed the scrotum with some kind of absorbable antibiotic impregnated material and that could be what I'm seeing.

New vistas in cat neutering....hope Squeaks is soon on the mend!

Things in the monkey household are a bit somber, but we're doing the best we can. Mr. Monkey and I shared some fun stories about our departed sweeties over dinner and drinks here at home, and the remaining two have been closer at hand than usual. Big Man, our long black panther of a cat, is snuggled into my nook here on the couch. The other night, I had to go in search of my trusty stuffed gorilla, Mister, to cuddle up with as there's been a cat in that spot for the last decade. Mister didn't purr, but I can't really hold that against him. I think Big Man has been working his way up the bed into that prime cuddle spot. We'll get there, eventually, together.

"The Darwinian hypothesis...is clamorously rejected by the conservative minds, because it is thought to be revolutionary, and not less eagerly accepted by insurgent minds, because it is thought destructive of old doctrines."
George Henry Lewes, 1861
mystictechgal
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #2681 on: February 21, 2010, 1:13:56 am »

I'm wondering if it isn't some kind of reinforced suture technique plus after-care that I'm not used to seeing, used because the cats involved may be immediately re-released without any further ability to check on the healing progress.  If that's the case, they may have packed the scrotum with some kind of absorbable antibiotic impregnated material and that could be what I'm seeing.

New vistas in cat neutering....hope Squeaks is soon on the mend!

Things in the monkey household are a bit somber, but we're doing the best we can. Mr. Monkey and I shared some fun stories about our departed sweeties over dinner and drinks here at home, and the remaining two have been closer at hand than usual. Big Man, our long black panther of a cat, is snuggled into my nook here on the couch. The other night, I had to go in search of my trusty stuffed gorilla, Mister, to cuddle up with as there's been a cat in that spot for the last decade. Mister didn't purr, but I can't really hold that against him. I think Big Man has been working his way up the bed into that prime cuddle spot. We'll get there, eventually, together.

You will, monkey, you will.  They have a way of knowing.  It's quite uncanny how well they seem to realize there is a hole that needs to be filled.  Of course, while they're filling yours, they are seeking you to fill theirs.  They grieve losses, too.

infopri
I guess I'm now a VERY

When all else fails, let us agree to disagree.

« Reply #2682 on: February 21, 2010, 1:15:09 am »

MTG, why not give the clinic a call and ask them about the strange appearance of Squeak's nether regions?

Monkeydoc, it sounds like Big Man may be angling to be your next cuddly kitty.  Maybe your dark moment will be his moment to shine and show his love. 

People who do not understand numbers should not be allowed to use them for anything. - DvF

MYOB.  Y enseņen bien a sus hijos.
prytania3

Prytania, the Foracle

« Reply #2683 on: February 21, 2010, 11:25:00 am »

Poor Squeak.

Lokie tried the Fancy Feast trout for the first time today. She loved, loved it, and she is *very* picky, which is why I gave the trout to Doppel first.

I'm not a narcissist. I'm just angry and violent.
spectacle

« Reply #2684 on: February 21, 2010, 1:36:48 pm »

My SO is out of town, and while I was sleeping I sort of gradually ended up on his side of the bed last night.

I opened my eyes this morning and saw a head on the pillow next to mine and jumped.  But it wasn't a human head... the cat had burrowed under the covers and then fell asleep with his head on my pillow.   

Sleeping like a People.  Cute, but also kind of creepy.

I think this thread is going well. Don't you think this thread is going well?
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 1510
  Print  

Jump to: