• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 5:20:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 405
  Print  
Author Topic: (zodiac) sign & tenture  (Read 801507 times)
the_honey_badger
Distinguished Senior Member

Not my post count---I ate the owner!

« Reply #3915 on: February 03, 2010, 10:52:52 PM »

You've got all kinds of time.  The New Moon is the 13th and Saturn is still 3 degrees away from your Sun.  

If you have a hard time, you'll have another trine from Saturn a few months later.  And if you manage to refrain through both of those transits you will have succeeded!

Yay. Squee. All-appropriate-sounds.  Thank you! Very glad I didn't miss a useful window.
Really, I've always wanted to do it once and do it right---slips? Eh, you forgive yourself, resume the program, and move forward till its done.  I want to be done with the regular, necessary, smoking.

Epi, long ago I quit the same way---just happened.  Why I started up again? Stupid story not worth telling but it was *not* have one and down the slope we go!  It was *deliberate*

Oh, and my "contact luck" continues!  People I edited proposals for, wrote letters for, etc. continue to bat 1000 on results. I'm like a damn "Good Luck Fairy!"   

The day needs my saving expertise

« Reply #3916 on: February 03, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »

Epi, long ago I quit the same way---just happened.  Why I started up again? Stupid story not worth telling but it was *not* have one and down the slope we go!  It was *deliberate*

Mine didn't just happen, exactly: I'd made a "promise" to myself that I'd quit when I ran out of cigarettes. (Same promise I'd made to myself a gazillion times before.) Thought I had another pack, but when I went looking for it, realized I'd miscalculated. There was--quite literally--sobbing, gnashing of teeth, tantrums, and general unpleasantness for days. Why I didn't just rationalize that I hadn't really meant to stop just yet, and buy another pack, remains a mystery to this day.

As for starting up again deliberately, I totally get it. It's amazing the decisions we make about such things, with complete conviction that they're rational (even if we realize at the same time that they're not exactly smart).

When asked about my research interests, I quote Kelly Kapoor: "Basically, everything that is awesome."
bread_pirate_naan
Preposterous

softwears

« Reply #3917 on: February 03, 2010, 11:01:29 PM »

Complete 180s in behavior are most successful under pain of death.  And even then not so much.

Interesting. My quit-smoking anniversary is coming up (February 10, it will be 9 years). It was bizarre in that I did not actually want to quit, or didn't think I did. And I'd tried numerous times before, with much greater conviction, and failed utterly. Not sure why it took in that particular instance. It was an absolutely miserable year (for various reasons), but once it was over I never had the slightest desire to pick up the habit again. It hadn't occurred to me that there may have been planetary influences helping me along where my will power alone might not have gotten me through it.

That would be Saturn opposite (180) your Scorpio planets.  Thanks for the accurate anecdote.

Oh, and my "contact luck" continues!  People I edited proposals for, wrote letters for, etc. continue to bat 1000 on results. I'm like a damn "Good Luck Fairy!"   

How can I exploit that?

In unrelated news, I'd like a slice of cake.  --corny  /  It will go great. --jackalope
the_honey_badger

« Reply #3918 on: February 04, 2010, 12:28:49 AM »

Naan asked:
Quote from: belowtheradar on Today at 09:52:52 PM

How can I exploit that?

Apparently all you need to do is find something I can do for you---I'm sprinkling magic on everything I touch that doesn't belong to me.  Things belonging to ME?  Well, nothing bad happens but it seems I'm an outwardly directed Good Luck Fairy.

I'm amazingly good with book contracts---recommending people, vetting or editing proposals, peer reviewing, reviewing drafts of manuscripts...I'm the Crazy Editing Fairy too.  Its a gift, a strange, strange gift that been going since around January 15th. Catch me before I become the Fairy of Doom!

« Reply #3919 on: February 06, 2010, 4:53:35 PM »

I apologize, to all of you and especially to Suzie Miller. With regard to that position/promotion I put in for: I got a call yesterday that the VP-Academic would like to speak to me next week.  That has to be good, right? (hope hope hope).

And it happened on the 5th, just like Suzie said.

I wasted a good tantrum/sulk, and hope I didn't annoy you all too much.  I am indeed sorry.

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
bread_pirate_naan
Preposterous

softwears

« Reply #3920 on: February 06, 2010, 5:28:19 PM »

I apologize, to all of you and especially to Suzie Miller. With regard to that position/promotion I put in for: I got a call yesterday that the VP-Academic would like to speak to me next week.  That has to be good, right? (hope hope hope).

And it happened on the 5th, just like Suzie said.

I wasted a good tantrum/sulk, and hope I didn't annoy you all too much.  I am indeed sorry.

No you didn't annoy me, but I was pretty bummed about you being bummed and my being wrong.  Both of those are bad.

Yes, it's good.  And I beat her by a year plus, no? Your Jupiter is 4*51" of Pisces.  tJupiter is 4*30" of Pisces.  That is one of the broadest of strokes one can make in predictive astrology. The one I have been talking about, oh, FOREVER.* I do not like to be wrong. And I do not go out of my way, to get your hopes up, so I can be wrong in public.  Mars goes direct in about a month (the 10th).  We are all rooting for you, and not just because we want my forecasts to be accurate.

Hooray, Ursula!

Jupiter/Saturn, we can all learn to delineate their transits, evenhandedly.

*Why, yes, I am shouting.

In unrelated news, I'd like a slice of cake.  --corny  /  It will go great. --jackalope
the_honey_badger

« Reply #3921 on: February 06, 2010, 8:01:46 PM »

Ursula!!!!  Good for you! Congratulations!
Can I write you an additional letter of rec or anything?  I appear to *still* be spreadin' that Massive Good Luck. Yesterday's tally was a successful job applicant who told me that my letter was mentioned as being "particularly helpful to him" in initial ranking (I *do* write a good, detailed letter!) and someone I helped dig out of a book proposal hole (OK, I basically ghost-wrote it when he was paralyzed with fear) got an advance contract just in time to save his tenure case.

It's Feb 6 and I'm looking around for that fabulous luck due today---although next Saturday was much better according to the Suze. Eh, whatever.    On the other hand, I'm not only NOT having any of the side-effects of Chantix, after the second day I am developing a *disinterest* in smoking much.  Now, that is unusual and I'll take it as "good luck" on the medicine front (I takes it where I can get it folks).  I was hoping for the 7th day best-case affect rather than the somewhat common 14 day affect!  But, one of my hallmarks is the "atypical" symptom and the "works fabulously or not at all" with drugs so I'm not all that surprised it took off and did something unexpected.

« Reply #3922 on: February 09, 2010, 5:34:17 PM »

Well, BPN, sorry to say you were indeed wrong. The Provost just wanted to call and say it wasn't me -- no short list, no nothin'.

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #3923 on: February 09, 2010, 5:41:02 PM »

Well, BPN, sorry to say you were indeed wrong. The Provost just wanted to call and say it wasn't me -- no short list, no nothin'.

Aw, s***.  I thought you had it in the bag, Ursula.  I'm sorry they don't appreciate you properly.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
bread_pirate_naan
Preposterous

softwears

« Reply #3924 on: February 09, 2010, 6:17:56 PM »

Oh, Ursula, I am so sorry you had to go through that twice.

erzuliefreda

« Reply #3925 on: February 09, 2010, 11:39:37 PM »

I am sorry to hear that, Ursula. You will win the next one.

scheherazade
1/3 of the Triumvirate of Evil and the Most Delicious

Running feminist prostitution rings since 1998

« Reply #3926 on: February 10, 2010, 2:00:18 AM »

I keep hearing this is supposed to be my month for career-related stuff. It better be. I'm about to snap.

And when do I get good relationship ju-ju? I'm way overdue for that, too.

Ugh. I think I'm going to go crawl into a hole now. (Also, good luck vibes to Ursula.)

You historians disturb me sometimes.
chenar

« Reply #3927 on: February 10, 2010, 9:47:57 AM »

Ursula, all sorts of warm and supportive thoughts.

scheherazade, all best wishes to you too!

I found my new yet old apartment in the sun (southern exposure).  Over the reading week (which we have up here instead of spring break), I'm going to finish packing up things and move in. 

Variations on themes of life...

Mixing up purple and orange plaids
the_honey_badger

« Reply #3928 on: February 10, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »

I'm thinking she isn't *wrong* so much as her timing is off.  Something is coming.
In the meantime, all my sympathy is going your way. This is such a difficult process even when the result is good---you end up too relieved and exhausted to really celebrate. But, better a slightly "dinged" celebration than none, eh?
Try to keep that head up and moving forward.

« Reply #3929 on: February 12, 2010, 11:41:18 AM »

Thanks, BTR, but I'm not sure I want to hope for anything any more.  A dozen people who have all benefited significantly from my labors got together and decided I suck, and probably all had a jolly good laugh about it.

Maybe I am as big a loser as I've been hearing the past forty years.

I guess I'll just do the menial stuff they pay me to do, think of the pension and slack off as much as possible.  It's what they seem to want of me.

Jack Layton, 1950-2011
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 405
  Print  

Jump to: