• May 5, 2016
May 05, 2016, 2:42:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please Log In to participate in forums.
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 406
  Print  
Author Topic: (zodiac) sign & tenture  (Read 854018 times)
the_honey_badger
Distinguished Senior Member

Not my post count---I ate the owner!

« Reply #3870 on: January 21, 2010, 7:42:43 pm »

A sharp student in a grad readings course I have this semester came to see me.  In the course of conversation she mentioned that she *came here to work with me* but was told to instead work with Prof. X and Prof. Y.  Apparently I "don't like students" which confused her because so far I've been "so nice and so helpful!"
I was very good. I said "oh, you must have misunderstood! But, I'm sure that you'll do well with Prof. X"
She then said: "No, they were clear on that and that Prof. X [another related field by the way] is nationally known in [My Field]. I really liked your article in Journal X but they said it wasn't that good."

I also just can't figure out what kind of student would think it was a good idea to blithely relay such information.

VP

Oh, in the "R2 world" we often get students who are not the most sophisticated (or professionally "socialized")  and can, at times, blurt out things.  This also is aggravated by some *unprofessional* colleagues who "confide" in students about the "limitations" of others.  So, we have many who will happily tell you anything you anything you ask because they think you are also part of their "gossip ring."  The two who now "advise" her are actually two of the worst---a tenured lunatic and the untenured minion/slave.

This one started with the "why I didn't come to you for advising when I'm clearly working in your research/published field" when I tried to parry that with a hand-waving "oh, I'm sure you misunderstood" I provoked a defense of her listening abilities.  The second time she was bright enough to see I was cutting her off and dropped it.

She probably NOW thinks I *don't* like students because I wasn't all gossipy/chummy/confidential. Eh, this stuff used to make my blood pressure rise and occasionally drive me to tears. Now?  More time to devote to my ruthless rise to the top. (and my piano lessons)

« Reply #3871 on: January 24, 2010, 7:49:06 pm »

ef, I hope the closing went well.

Thanks! It has been delayed. Hopefully not for much longer.

I hope you are all well. It has been a heavy and frustrating week here, on many fronts, but hope is in the air. As the Mrs. said while watching Lifetime's daylong lead-in to the "Pregnancy Pact," our lives could be harder.  Best wishes to all.

chenar

« Reply #3872 on: January 25, 2010, 5:34:03 pm »

Wintery and January greetings, tenture-folk!

What sayeth you all, wise and sage ones, about Leos (male)?  What tender advise would you like to offer?

Mixing up purple and orange plaids
the_honey_badger

« Reply #3873 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:19 pm »

Wintery and January greetings, tenture-folk!

What sayeth you all, wise and sage ones, about Leos (male)?  What tender advise would you like to offer?

Well, I can't tell you from any sort of knowledgeable zodiacal basis but I can offer a field observation.  The Leo son emerged from one of his "too long without phoning" to tell me things are going well (yay!) and he misses me.  The Leo husband is being very very kind and gentle with his overwhelmed wife. He isn't poking around asking why I'm subdued, he knows I'm a little tired and a little overwhelmed at work right now.  And vague scared for no go reason.

They are both in their "nurturing phase" which even salty, snarky me needs once in a while. That they are both Leos with Aries moons makes them intense individuals at times but I'm good with that---my belief is that NO ONE on earth is more kind just when you need it. My guess is they think they can "fix" whatever ails you.  Sometimes they can just by being hugely kind. And, because it can't be said often enough:  A Leo can adore you in a way that is therapeutic in a clinical sense. After all, if they, marvelous beings that they and you know they are,  like you, how bad can you be?*

Are you one or do you have one?

*Long time readers of the thread are used to my spontaneous "Odes to Leo"---I just like them, always have, probably always will. 

« Reply #3874 on: January 26, 2010, 12:09:43 am »

Thanks btr. I  recently met one who is very, very nice, rather regal, and with a noble profile too.

the_honey_badger

« Reply #3875 on: January 26, 2010, 1:29:24 am »

Thanks btr. I  recently met one who is very, very nice, rather regal, and with a noble profile too.

I say: go for it!

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #3876 on: January 26, 2010, 11:34:22 am »

Well, I am a Leo, and we are awesome (if I do say so myself.)

I think most Leos are very good partners if you don't mind petting them a good deal and letting them tell just slightly better jokes than you in company. 

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
firecracker

« Reply #3877 on: January 31, 2010, 12:22:43 pm »

Everybody ready for the new month according to Suzy Miller? I, for one, am looking for the crazy, the unusual, the strange--anything to shake me up and get me out of my current patterns and habits. A foreigner or two, perhaps?
the_honey_badger

« Reply #3878 on: January 31, 2010, 12:53:10 pm »

Everybody ready for the new month according to Suzy Miller? I, for one, am looking for the crazy, the unusual, the strange--anything to shake me up and get me out of my current patterns and habits. A foreigner or two, perhaps?

I know I am!  "The Suze" (as I like to call her) is always good for an ego boost. She also provides mysteries that are seldom solved...those mysterious "foreigners" and their "opportunities" that stalked me through 2009 and yet never, ever showed up with or without "opportunities."  [OK, so I'm a little resentful...]  So, if nothing else, you are preoccupied by solving mysteries all month when you aren't looking around for the promised "rainbows and ponies." At the very least you are kept busy.

Jupiter has apparently arrived----I'm thinking that I might be providing "luck" to others though in this transit as the past 48 hours have been filled with messages about book deals, jobs, fellowships and assorted things for former students, colleagues, and friends.  I seem to spend my time sending "congrats!" messages right now---truly meant but I wouldn't mind seeing the river flow the other way for a day or two for a change.

Good luck in February to everyone!

« Reply #3879 on: January 31, 2010, 1:08:03 pm »

I know I am!  "The Suze" (as I like to call her) is always good for an ego boost. She also provides mysteries that are seldom solved...those mysterious "foreigners" and their "opportunities" that stalked me through 2009 and yet never, ever showed up with or without "opportunities."  [OK, so I'm a little resentful...]  So, if nothing else, you are preoccupied by solving mysteries all month when you aren't looking around for the promised "rainbows and ponies." At the very least you are kept busy.

Jupiter has apparently arrived----I'm thinking that I might be providing "luck" to others though in this transit as the past 48 hours have been filled with messages about book deals, jobs, fellowships and assorted things for former students, colleagues, and friends.  I seem to spend my time sending "congrats!" messages right now---truly meant but I wouldn't mind seeing the river flow the other way for a day or two for a change.

Good luck in February to everyone!

I'd forgotten all about it!  Now I'll be on pins and needles all day until I see how the rainbows and puppies are going to pan out!

"Love is better than anger.  Hope is better than fear.  Optimism is better than despair."
Jack Layton, 1950-2011
erzuliefreda

« Reply #3880 on: January 31, 2010, 7:20:24 pm »

Well, nothing is going remarkably well right now, but I am just on cloud nine. No clue why, but I'm not questioning it. My mind sounds like this.

I hope you are all well.

chenar

« Reply #3881 on: January 31, 2010, 7:55:48 pm »

Hi everyone,

My Eeyore-ism for this weekend is "whatever fortune brings, don't be afraid to do things."  There's also the very nice one where Eeyore brightens considerably upon the realization that while it might still be snowing, at least there's not been an earthquake!

I had the break-up conversation with my partner last night.  Now I have to find a new apartment.  Please say extra prayers for me!

bread_pirate_naan
Preposterous

softwears

« Reply #3882 on: January 31, 2010, 8:14:17 pm »

So it looks like Merc R and the eclipse cycle still leave their rippling wake.

I made a horrifying mistake(very sad, truly bad), moved on and got something else started, just in the nick of time.*  Outlook: cloudy, with a chance of Sun.  I like that the thread has a built in cycle that prevents it from doing much more than taking a nap.

I, too, had a horrifying dream the night of the Full.  (Which I decided was Friday, but was indeed Saturday.)  This led me to text my mother in the middle of the night and plan a trip to visit her.  ASAP.  Not that I hadn't been thinking about it, but I get to fold in a conference weekend that should be spent writing. But should be spent conferencing.**  And I fear my mother's death.  Anyway.

This is my favorite Bjork song.

*Every person on my faculty has ignored at least one of my emails, but anyone who will turn around an LOR on 3-7 days notice can do whatever they want.
**Because it would please someone who just saved my behind and expand my network big time.

In unrelated news, I'd like a slice of cake.  --corny  /  It will go great. --jackalope
voxprincipalis
Foxaliciously Cinnamon-Scented (and Most Poetic)
Member-Moderator

Has potentially infinite removable wallets

« Reply #3883 on: January 31, 2010, 9:43:45 pm »

Naan and somboul, sorry to hear that you have both had a rough patch. I have too, but have hopes for a positive outcome.

I will be absolutely buried in work this semester. Must remember to try to keep my head down.

VP

"If you find yourself speaking with a person who does not make sense, in all likelihood that person is not real."

-- The Stanley Parable
the_honey_badger

« Reply #3884 on: February 01, 2010, 2:04:25 am »

Sorry Erzulie is in CrapWorld but happy she is feeling good in spite of it---that's a trick!
Naan, you are very very low right now (still).  Shake things up.  I don't think your mother is in any immediate danger but I think you are *psychically* and on the edge of a bad cycle. So, shake things up: travel but find something good to do for yourself---something crazy, extravagant good. You want something you can't afford---do/get it anyway.

I had a colorful evening Friday---last night of a candidate's visit . Textbook search, everything went *great* right up to the last ten minutes of the final event for the final person.   *People!*  Not only don't get the candidate drunk on a campus visit, watch the more erratic members of your department when booze is on offer. When two (one in each category) get drunk?  Well, then the "fun" begins except it really is not fun.

Jump to: