• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 4:11:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: For all you tweeters, follow The Chronicle on Twitter.

Pages: 1 ... 1464 1465 [1466] 1467 1468 ... 3615
  Print  
Author Topic: The venting thread  (Read 4892936 times)
alleyoxenfree
Distinguished Senior Member

Countin' all these posts as publications

« Reply #21975 on: February 03, 2010, 5:17:49 PM »

Vent: I am hungry and have no lunch. Trapped in my office with nothing but canned goods that were supposed to be donated to a food drive at Christmas time. Normally I forget to eat lunch until 3:00. But it's noon and I'm starving. Do I dare brave the cafeteria. Ugh.

No, do NOT go to the cafeteria.  I went to the cafeteria.  I got a bowl of soup.  It was noxious and nasty and I couldn't finish it.  So now I am both hungry and nauseated (from the portion I did eat).

Vending machine trail mix time, with juice.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #21976 on: February 03, 2010, 7:15:44 PM »

After 12 years with Too-Big-to-Fail Bank, I joined a credit union because it's a co-op. Motives other than profit, right?

After less than one month with Stupid f***ing Credit Union, I moved my accounts again.

Why, anakin? You ask. Why would you go through all that hassle and trouble when you're working 60-70 hours a week like the rest of us and you don't have time to update all your debits and bill payments and order new checks and send in paperwork and move money around?

Let's just say that the net result of my short fling with SFCU has left me $152 lighter of wallet and 2-1/2 hours consumed of afternoon grading time. Two and a half hours about why SFCU didn't pay a bill but charged me three times for overdraft fees (which I hadn't had in twelve years)? They accepted an incoming wire transfer, charged me a fee for the privilege, then the SFCU didn't pay the bill but DID deduct $30 for...not paying the bill...that was $10 short...because SFCU charges for incoming transfers...

FRAK ME! FRAK YOU! AAUUGGHHHHH! I could sock someone right in the teeth.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 7:16:14 PM by anakin » Logged

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #21977 on: February 03, 2010, 7:30:03 PM »

Dear Lab:

Thanks for hectoring me to exasperation to get me to finally put down what I would like to have in an experiment plan.

Thanks also for responding to said plan with what is undoubtedly the world's longest "No freaking way we're doing that."

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #21978 on: February 03, 2010, 8:33:20 PM »

Another semester and already another student asking questions in a manner that suggests they believe the Mayan prediction of the world ending in 2012 is fact.

This is three semesters in a row now.   

And these people are earning a four-year degree exactly why?  Honestly, I have to figure that the "increased lifetime earnings potential" argument loses some of its strength in the face of imminent Armageddon.  If I were persuaded in the end of the world, I would spend the Last Days, I don't know, but not taking classes.  Experimenting with the ultimate bacon cheeseburger recipe?

The guy who directed the movie about 2012 was asked if he believed in the "prediction," and he pointed out that he was keeping the rights to the movie for much longer than 2012.  I thought that this was an excellent response.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
tigerseye

Formerly Seventhyear (and before that Sixthyear)

« Reply #21979 on: February 03, 2010, 8:46:40 PM »

No offense to any of you lovely forumites and your blessed offspring.

BUT I'm SICK OF BREEDERS!  I'm sick of what you can't do because of your kids.  I'm sick of all the perks we have to line up for your lovely tots.  If you get a daycare benefit, I want an eldercare benefit!

noof_
Newphd_turned

« Reply #21980 on: February 03, 2010, 8:53:56 PM »

Go ahead! Raise your virtual voice at me again; see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 8:54:17 PM by noof_ » Logged
tigerseye

Formerly Seventhyear (and before that Sixthyear)

« Reply #21981 on: February 03, 2010, 9:36:38 PM »

Sorry Noof. I didn't mean you. 
mouseman
Oh dear, how did I become a

The Validater/Validator-in-Chief

« Reply #21982 on: February 03, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »

BUT I'm SICK OF BREEDERS!  I'm sick of what you can't do because of your kids.  I'm sick of all the perks we have to line up for your lovely tots.  If you get a daycare benefit, I want an eldercare benefit!

I'm canceling your girl scout cookie orders, and I'm sending the Mouselet to sing loudly and off-key outside your office. ;-)

BTW, I'm with you on the elder-care benefits.  It's a crying shame that these don't exist in our society. 

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away -- -
For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.
                                                  Lewis Carroll
gennimom
Somewhat Southern (Have I really posted that much?)

Let's get summer over with! Me want snow!

« Reply #21983 on: February 03, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »

I'm canceling your girl scout cookie orders, and I'm sending the Mouselet to sing loudly and off-key outside your office. ;-)

BTW, I'm with you on the elder-care benefits.  It's a crying shame that these don't exist in our society. 

Works for me too. Not everyone ends up taking care of their parents, but when they do, it can be difficult.

*gennimom, who watched her mother give up almost 3 years of her life to care for her MIL*

...only after reading gm's post, my new mantra is "always listen to gennimom".
Monday reeks! - Garfield
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a person (or something like that).
noof_
Newphd_turned

« Reply #21984 on: February 03, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »

Sorry Noof. I didn't mean you. 

No problem. My pp is completely unrelated.
mountainguy
The no longer carbonated

« Reply #21985 on: February 03, 2010, 11:42:01 PM »

Why must this be the day of constant medical drama for me?? One of my eyeglass lenses fell out a few hours ago, and despite our best attempts to screw it back in, neither my friend or I could make it work. Fortunately, I do have an old pair (with a slightly different prescription), so I'm not completely blind as a bat. But now I have to find an optometrist or eyeglass repair place tomorrow that's willing to fix them, and I already have a jam-packed day. Ugh.
anakin
Most snarkily lightsabered
Member-Moderator

Goes to 11

« Reply #21986 on: February 04, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »

y=You know, nearsightedness is not such a bad thing.

There are few things more liberating in this life than having your worst fear realized. -- Conan O'Brien
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #21987 on: February 04, 2010, 12:38:03 AM »

You B!TCH!  Yes, I know who you are.  I recognize your name from the reports.  You used to be one of the leaders in the Arabian horse world in this area.  You started a lot of the horse clubs here.  You did a lot of good, for the breed, for the community.  

I don't know exactly what has happened to you in the intervening years, but you live in an area where there are any number of people you could have called upon for help.  Every one of them would have answered the call--I know them.  There is NO FVCKING EXCUSE! for you to have allowed 38 of your formerly beautiful Arabs to starve and be neglected to the point of criminal abuse!  NONE!

Thank GOD, one of them dropped dead where it could be seen and someone reported you.  May her death and deaths of the 6 others that they had to euthanize weigh on your soul for eternity.  That, even when shown their condition, you didn't see anything wrong suggests that you mentally lost it long ago.  I should feel pity for you, but at the moment I have none to spare.  I revile you with every fibre of my being.  

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
barred_owl
Elegant yet understated

« Reply #21988 on: February 04, 2010, 12:42:25 AM »

Interestingly enough, I suppose, I spotted a minivan the other day that advertised the services of a traveling optometrist.  Apparently, one would only have to call the optometrist and s/he will come to you to take care of all of your optometric needs.  

That's one of those "I wish I'd thought of that" observations that I seem to be making more and more frequently these days.

And, on preview, MTG--I saw that story, too.  It's just awful to think about those beautiful horses suffering that way.

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
mountainguy
The no longer carbonated

« Reply #21989 on: February 04, 2010, 12:49:58 AM »

Wow. I've heard of cat hoarders and rabbit hoarders before, but never horse hoarders. How terribly sad. While this is in no way meant to invalidate your feelings of anger or to defend the criminal behavior of this woman, it's worth noting that animal hoarding is a mental illness. She probably did think "I'm going to be really mean to these horses" or any other rational thoughts. Again, that doesn't excuse the behavior, but it does contextualize it.
Pages: 1 ... 1464 1465 [1466] 1467 1468 ... 3615
  Print  

Jump to: