• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 9:54:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  
Author Topic: Where won't you go, barring poverty and homelessness?  (Read 22673 times)
drnobody
Distinguished Senior Member

« on: January 15, 2013, 3:28:12 AM »

Honestly, this is just curiosity which stemmed from a combination of getting a first-stage interview request at a school where I figured I'd be a long shot (and probably still am), but then I noticed as I searched that some consider the location to be in Undesirable City, so I wondered if maybe the applicant pool wasn't as fabulous as I assumed (it's certainly a good school, so that still baffles me). To me, the location is one I targeted as a first choice region. I know there's been some talk about location, but I wonder, what locations do you hope you don't have to resort to applying? What areas do you refuse to apply?

I'll start: Anywhere without at least parts of four seasons and anywhere with excessively high cost of living such as many regions of New England or California, even though I grew up in one of those areas. 
heynonnynonnymouse

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 3:54:02 AM »

Despite thinking a lot of the west coat and mountain west of the US is gorgeous and knowing I'd be content living there in every other way, I don't want to be much further west than the Mississippi River so as to stay within reasonable travel distance of family.
totoro
Friendly Neighborhood Troll and

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 4:12:08 AM »

Brunei would definitely be somewhere I wouldn't apply.
barred_owl
Elegant yet understated

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 4:14:35 AM »

I'm not looking, but when I do browse the Chronicle's job listings just for fun, I usually only select locations such as Washington (state), Alaska, or a few select locations in the upper Great Lakes Region.  I once considered New Mexico, but only because the pay was good and my husband's daughter was living there at the time.  If I knew more about the Canadian university system, I'd look at BC, NS, or NB, too.

No interest in New England, the Deep South including Florida, the desert Southwest, or big cities such as NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, or anything in southern CA.  Northern California would be tolerable, but only if my single income was sufficient to cover housing and expenses (unlikely).  Remaining family and older friends are all in Ohio, so that remains a possibility, if I were looking, and only because the family and friends are there.

...I can't help rooting for the underdog underbird.
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 6:53:20 AM »

STpouse and I like to play "There's a Latitude I Have In Mind." I try to guess what latitude north of which is out of the question for a future move, and she tries not to get mad when I note that the correct answer appears to be heading further and further south.

Last time we played the latitude in mind ran right along I-20.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 6:53:54 AM by southerntransplant » Logged

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
erzuliefreda

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 8:18:32 AM »

Since I do 20th-c. US history, I wasn't in a position to be picky when I was on the market. Still, I did not apply to jobs in Utah.

ellaminnowphd
Curiously Strong

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 8:34:21 AM »

There are a couple of midwestern states that I disregarded when I was surveying job possibilities, as well as a few places in my own state that I preferred not to consider. 

However, I love the challenges that come with moving to new locales. I think every place has something to offer - however subtle.  I'm easy.  If I didn't have children, I'd be even easier.  (Heh)

anisogamy
Inordinately pleased to be a

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 9:02:05 AM »

I would only be interested in some mountainous and/or urban parts of New England, a couple of mid-Atlantic states, the West Coast, and two specific medium-sized cities in the South. But I'm saying that from the vantage point of having a job (in none of those places) and having a partner whose needs and desires I need to consider along with my own. I applied much more broadly than that before I got my job, and I would have applied more broadly still had I not been considering my partner at the time.

A little compassion is better than kicking people when they are down, regardless of who has suffered more and longer or whose bad job market has the biggest dick.
emdashed

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 9:26:09 AM »

There are lots of places we simply aren't likely to end up, ever, but I would fight tooth and nail against a move to NYC. I've visited friends several times; I can't quite put my finger on it, but I always feel so...uncomfortable, even outside Manhattan and in the solidly residential neighborhoods of Brooklyn. There are many places I would rather not go--Utah, Florida, Arizona--but the prospect of NYC would send me into a panic.
kiana

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 9:31:02 AM »

Larger cities such as NYC or Chicago.

If robbers ever broke into my house to search for money, I'd just laugh and search with them.
aandsdean
I feel affirmed that I'm truly a 8,000+ post

Positively impactful on stakeholder synergies

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 9:35:24 AM »

Oklahoma.  Did it once, once was too much.  Almost certainly not NYC area or Boston (love them, but don't want to live in them) or (sob) San Francisco, which in my younger days was my dream.

Otherwise pretty ecumenical. 

Que scay-je?
britprof

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 9:55:47 AM »

I'm curious about why several forumites eschew the possibility of Florida sunshine. I am not terribly familiar with the state but I did vacation in St Petersburg a few years ago and visited Sarasota, which I thought was a fabulous city (I bought so many books from one store I had to have them shipped back to the Midwest). So what is it that turns people off? Maybe alligators, retirees, or tendency towards unconstitutionality?
scampster

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »

Definitely the alligators.

When you are a scientist your opinions and prejudices become facts. Science is like magic that way!
ex_mo

Peddler of backroom smut.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »

Florida: America's Wang.

Florida is a weird place with its own charms.  There is, contrary to belief, winter.  And alligators.

cajunmama

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »

Hubby and I have a consensus on avoiding four states, Alaska, Florida, Texas and California (with the one exception of One Very Elite Private University) and the Extra Large Metropolitan Area on the East Coast. That's pretty much it. I'd love to live somewhere with less than 8 months of summer each year.

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31
  Print  

Jump to: