• October 30, 2014
October 30, 2014, 11:21:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk about how to cope with chronic illness, disability, and other health issues in the academic workplace.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Science Fiction in Science Class  (Read 5041 times)
polly_mer
practice makes perfect
Distinguished Senior Member

Have you worked on that project today?

« on: January 03, 2013, 6:14:13 PM »

I am tasked with teaching something related to modern physics to people who will not have the relevant math to truly learn the physics.  Consequently, I have decided to go with doing a bare-bones explanation of the high points and using technology (real and science fiction) to illustrate applications of modern physics.

I'm good on the real applications, but I'm looking for suggestions on movie/television series for applications (good or bad) to start talking about what happens and what the actual physics and/or engineering would be in our universe (could we work up to that or is it breaking a physical law?).

I'm envisioning showing a scene and then discussing what the given explanation is versus the science as we currently know it.

I know we have some science fiction fans here.  Help me out with examples of relativity, quantum mechanics, wave-particle duality, and similar topics.

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
bibliothecula
Academic ronin

like Bunnicula, only with books

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 6:26:27 PM »

I read something one about Star Wars in which the author wrote about Luke and Han getting "blown up by the shrapnel of their own success." Is that the kind of thing you're looking for? In that case, my husband (a chemical engineer with a strong physics background) groans at just about every sci-fi movie. These days when one of us starts to complain about inaccuracy in our fields, we turn to the other and say, "Flying men. Shut up."

Other specific examples....Superman flying backwards around the world in Superman II, the Richard Donner cut, to change the past? Light sabers (SW again)? Lightspeed travel (and again)? Firing a gun into space (Serenity)? The Star Trek transporter? Phasers?

I came. I saw. I cited.
cc_alan
is a wossname

Caution! Nekkid Zamboni driver ahead.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 6:34:11 PM »

OMG, the entire series of Fringe!

Alan

Guess what? I got a fever and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 6:43:11 PM »

Thanks, Bibliothecula.  I'd forgotten about Superman's turning the world backward to reverse time.  The list is great.
OMG, the entire series of Fringe!

Alan

This is not helpful since I've seen about half of one episode.  Can you give an explicit suggestion like phasers or light sabers or one episode that I should see?

I've joined a bizarre cult called JordanCanonicalForm's Witnesses.  I have to go from door to door asking people things like, "Good evening, sir!  Do you have a moment to chat about Linear Transformations?"
mystictechgal
Happy in my "full, rich adulthood", and as a
Member-Moderator

One step at a time

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 6:46:30 PM »

You might be able to get some ideas on some of these sites:

http://www.scifiscience.co.uk/ (UK scientists looking at what is, might be, or isn't possible. Includes links to books and articles)

http://whatweekly.com/2012/08/02/real-science-fiction/ (10 things from science fiction that are real--for a price)

http://appreviews4u.com/2012/07/24/star-trek-tech-its-on-its-way-no-wormhole-necessary/ (Star Trek technology that may be in our future. There's a whole bunch of articles about what already has become real.)

Sounds like a fun class.

You must realize that a university cannot educate you. You must do that for yourself, although a college or university is the place where it is likely that you can study most efficiently.
http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/chapman.htm

"Is all the same, only different" -- HL
geonerd
As always, loving the irony and a

Do not take the bait.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 6:49:22 PM »

If you're willing to take some of the bad, there are lots of possibilities in Star Trek: warp drive, transporters, food synthesizer, tractor beam, holodeck, sub-space communications.

Rational arguments do not generally work in Crazy Land.
polly_mer
practice makes perfect

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 6:51:16 PM »

In case other people were looking for suggestions on this topic, I've received via PM James Kakalios' book The Physics of Superheroes.  The relevant website is http://www.physicsofsuperheroes.com/

If you're willing to take some of the bad, there are lots of possibilities in Star Trek: warp drive, transporters, food synthesizer, tractor beam, holodeck, sub-space communications.

Oh, I'm definitely looking for both good and bad.  Why can't we have warp drive (doggone relativity)?  What's wrong with transporters if we can do quantum entanglement?  (I'm using Timeline to mention the problems that everyone can understand even though that's time travel).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 6:52:17 PM by polly_mer » Logged

chaosbydesign
"Are you alive?"
Member-Moderator

Whatever your problem is, it's probably my fault.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 7:25:04 PM »

What about the use of 'artificial gravity' in all of the sci-fi spaceships I can think of?

I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously sir. To which one are you referring? -- Spock
elsie

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 7:30:10 PM »

Alternate universes?

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff." - the Doctor
msparticularity

Assistant Professor cum bricoleur

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 7:54:04 PM »

When I high school I was teamed with English and science colleagues; I taught the "history of" a lot of science topics while teaching early modern and modern history. In addition to the stuff like you're talking about using (which my colleagues did in their classes) I also used excerpts from Bill Bryson's Short History of Nearly Everythng. My students always wondered who sat around and thought this stuff up, and often the answer is--some pretty weird people, and fairly often the discovery was accidental, triggered by something else they were working on.

Mostly, though, I think you probably want Walter Lewin--NYT article and links to some videos here.

"Once admit that the sole verifiable or fruitful object of knowledge is the particular set of changes that generate the object of study...and no intelligible question can be asked about what, by assumption, lies outside." John Dewey

"Be particular." Jill Conner Browne
conjugate
Compulsive punster and insatiable reader, and
Member-Moderator

Tends to have warped sense of humor

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 8:05:40 PM »

In Babylon-5, the space station and large human space craft had to spin to produce artificial gravity.  In contrast, the Minbari (technically sophisticated aliens) rather smugly produced their own gravity.  You excluded books, so that Lawrence Krauss's The Physics of Star Trek (which also addresses many other tales, not just ST) might not be the best thing for the students to read, but might be a good source for you.

I checked for a web site I remember reading years ago about bad physics in movies, and the closest I could find was this i09 story about bad movie physics.  I hope these help; good luck and enjoy the class.

Unfortunately, I think conjugate gives good advice.
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|xa|<δ⇒|(x)-(a)|<ε
onthefringe

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 8:55:19 PM »

A good place to poke around is the tv tropes and idioms site, specifically the sf section (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpeculativeFictionTropes)

For example, under "square cube law" on that page, it points you to episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Big Bang Theory, Farscape, and others.

From experience, sometimes it can be a bit tough to track down the actual episode ( on this page they give a specific episode for Buffy, and link out to one for Big Bang Theory, but not for the other shows cited) but I've been successful several times
elsie

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 8:57:28 PM »

That's a dangerous website. Hours and hours can be wasted there, just going from one link to the next.

"People assume that time is a strict progression from cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff." - the Doctor
onthefringe

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 8:59:11 PM »

Oh, yes, I've lost whole days of prep for my biology in fiction seminar there. But I've found really cool stuff.
usukprof
Not sure he's been around long enough to really be a
Member-Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 9:34:37 PM »

Roadrunner physics.

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.  --Dean Vernon Wormer
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: