• October 31, 2014
October 31, 2014, 3:29:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with your Chronicle username and password
News: Talk online about your experiences as an adjunct, visiting assistant professor, postdoc, or other contract faculty member.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Air?  (Read 38607 times)
bookishone
Distinguished Senior Member

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »

PDFs of books from the period I study. I have a 250 GB HD and only 33 GB available.

Oh yeah--Google Books image PDFs are HUGE.

Yes, and they're not even OCR'd. For some, I've used Acrobat and PDF Scissors to create searchable PDF+text versions, and those files are also large.

My tag line is false.
eigen

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »

Ah, it must be the high res book PDFs. I've got a number of book PDFs, but they're not very large or high res, for sure.

And most manuscripts in my field are 0.5-2 mb per, so I can store a ton of them.
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 12:40:08 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys have on your computers that is taking up so much space?

I've got 7 or 8 years of pictures (8-10 gb), 8 years of files and documents, and all my current projects, and programs, and am barely using 30gb.

I've got a bunch of programs, including the MS Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and about 125 GB of old documents, notes, PDFs, data, and, within that, about 15GB of music and about 50GB of pictures--with each new camera we get, the pixel count and therefore the file sizes go up.
lucy_

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 12:56:24 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys have on your computers that is taking up so much space?

I've got 7 or 8 years of pictures (8-10 gb), 8 years of files and documents, and all my current projects, and programs, and am barely using 30gb.

My music and my photos take up most of the space.

I took all the movies / videos off cause they were just taking up way too much room; they are now on external hard drive.
southerntransplant
A man on a porcupine fence and a

No recess.

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 1:25:11 AM »

I inherited a MacBook Air from a departed colleague. As a PC/Linux/Unix/etc user I was always curious about Macs -certainly most in my STEM field who are not true Linux heads have moved to Macs. I have since used our faculty computer fund to order a MacBook Pro. I like having Unix-type tools when I need them but don't like installing Cygwin on every PC I control.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

Steve Albini, showing Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters around his studio
marigolds
looks far too young to be a

i had fun once and it was awful

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 5:16:15 AM »

I inherited a MacBook Air from a departed colleague. As a PC/Linux/Unix/etc user I was always curious about Macs -certainly most in my STEM field who are not true Linux heads have moved to Macs. I have since used our faculty computer fund to order a MacBook Pro. I like having Unix-type tools when I need them but don't like installing Cygwin on every PC I control.

ST I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE JOINING THE DARK SIDE.

Welcome.

They are our servants.  They are like dogs.  Sometimes, they think they remember being wolves, but they are only dreaming.
southerntransplant

No recess.

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 7:30:26 AM »

ST I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE JOINING THE DARK SIDE.

Welcome.

I figure that it isn't a bad thing to have the college gamble their money on whether or not I'll like a Mac.

If I like this I'll see about spending funds on a MacPro.

"...And on the other side of this wall is a whole 'nother studio that you'll never get to see...because, you know, fvck you guys."

fsuhnb06

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 8:26:30 PM »

I agree with Lucy. I also have a Macbook Pro and Air. The Air is much better for travel and ease. If you're looking for something to move around with you get that. If not and you just need a new desktop go with the Pro, I like the style better. They are virtually the same price but for how easy it is I like the Air better.

<a href="http://businesscreditally.com/business-credit">The Business Credit Guy</a>
viralterationis

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »

The MacBook Air 13" from mid-2012 is extremely powerful. I previously had a 2010 MacBook Pro (that had to move down the road for a variety of irritating reasons) and that was a great machine, but the new MacBook Air is extraordinary. I have 128 gigabytes of hard drive space (SSD) and 8 gigs of ram. The thing is almost instantaneous, extremely light, and blows away my old MacBook Pro graphics-wise in terms of speed and quality. I cannot praise this machine enough, particularly since the MacBook Air has now come down in price enough that it is actually in the range of the Pro-line Macs.

For storage of things that I do not use constantly, I have an external HD that has a 1 TB of space and I don't miss it when it isn't plugged in. I play most of my music through my MP3 player and have all of my MP3s on the external HD -- so I really don't have any storage issues there.

With that said, the new MacBook Pro 13" Retina is also a sweet looking machine, although you are then faced with a baseline price point several hundred dollars higher -- but it is lighter and thinner than the base MacBook Pro 13" and has superior features.

All in all, however, I am super happy that I have the MacBook Air 13". Even though it is only about 2 pounds less than the Macbook Pro 13", for some reason it feels significantly lighter when I am carrying it around (one of the primary reasons that I got it instead of another Pro).
tee_bee
I've really made it in academe, now that I am a

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 11:56:10 PM »

Two pounds is a noticeable weight in a bag, particularly when running through airports.
sugaree
shakin' it since 2007 and only a

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 9:50:49 AM »

Thanks for all of your thoughts, this is really helpful! I have yet to encounter memory/storage problems on any of my machines (no movie files, or XL book file pdfs and I never take pictures so very few of those either), so it looks like my hopes about the Macbook Air have been confirmed.

I love my old Pro - it's been a true workhorse, but the heaviness is beginning to get to me. I am not an iPad person (yet - I have big issues with the screen-pokey necessities of these and other smart-type devices, but I suppose once I got used to that it would be okay), but the Air seems like the best compromise to me. We shall see....

Two pounds is a noticeable weight in a bag, particularly when running through airports.

So true!!

where's the bourbon?
svenc
My CV says I'm a

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »

My work solution this past year has been a nice large imac in my office, plus the 13" Air in my bag.  It goes everywhere with me and is also my primary home machine at this point - no problems.  I even do some (light) number-crunching on the Air.  It's performance is good and the fact that it just goes everywhere with me means that the weight is about productivity, not just convenience.

And a bit off-topic: The professional version of Dropbox is great for any multi-machine approach to getting your work done, so if you decide to go with the Air plus something else, look into that if you aren't already using it.

In foris veritas.
kentjigga

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 9:41:43 AM »

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro and I'm a serious multi-tasker... I'm know the Air couldn't come close to what's possible on the Pro.  Sell it, trade it, give it away.......but get another Pro, it won't let you down, especially in those what if scenarios....

southerntransplant

No recess.

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »

My 15" Macbook Pro arrived today. I have now loaded MacTex, gfortran, OpenOffice and Google Chrome onto it. I just need to load Matlab and get the department version of Office for Mac onto it and it will be complete.

It is a gorgeous machine.

I won't relate what our IT person said about it. Keep in mind he is a Microsoft/Dell-only man, whereas I traverse happily among Windows, Mac and Linux several times a day.

mended_drum
Potnia theron and

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 12:49:55 AM »

Our IT people arbitrarily switched all Mac users to airs this summer, only weeks after they'd given me a Pro, which I'm holding on to for dear life.  I'm not due to be rotated onto something new for another five years, and I hope the complaints from the Mac users about the Airs reverse this decision by then.

Of course, I've also got the last generation of the Pro that has the dvd player, and I use it quite a bit for previewing things for class, as alternate forms of showing film clips still only work half of the time in our building. 

The Air is light and pretty, but it just doesn't do everything I need it to do.  For now.  In five years, everything will be different.

"dr. mended_drum don't give a sh!t; she will chew me up like a cobra."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: