The victim of child molesting by Jerry Sandusky whose accusations sparked an investigation that rocked Pennsylvania State University—and led to the former football coach’s conviction in June—has now sued the university, the Associated Press reports.
According to a lawsuit filed late Friday in state court, the victim, identified only as “John Doe C,” says Penn State intentionally did not report Mr. Sandusky to the authorities because of its greater concern for “its economic self-interests, and to its interest in maintaining and perpetuating its reputation,” than to its concern for the safety of children. The assertions echo the findings of a scathing report issued last month. Penn State’s actions were “purposeful, deliberate, and shameful,” the lawsuit says.
The victim and his mother reported to the authorities in 2009 that Mr. Sandusky had molested him more than 100 times over a three-year period. The accusations led to a state investigation culminating last November in criminal charges against the former coach and two Penn State officials. At Mr. Sandusky’s trial, the victim was identified as “Victim 1.”
The lawsuit, which names only the university as a defendant, seeks compensatory and punitive damages for what it describes as the victim’s physical and emotional injuries. A Penn State spokesman said the university, which has already accepted major NCAA penalties, takes the case seriously and seeks to “find solutions that rest on the principle of justice for the victims.”Return to Top