A group of Texas colleges and local economic-development organizations plans to renovate an old tire-manufacturing facility to create a research park in Waco, Tex.
The Central Texas Technology and Research Park, as the project is known, is led by Baylor University, Texas State Technical College, and McLennan Community College, along with McLennan County, the City of Waco, and several regional government and development agencies. The state Legislature and the Baylor Board of Regents have provided $10-million each for the project.
The 300,000-square-foot facility, once owned by General Tire, was built in 1940 and closed in 1986. The architecture firm Perkins and Will studied the site and determined that the building could be occupied within 18 months. First comes removing the old plant equipment, restoring the brickwork, putting on a new roof, replacing the windows, and adding elevators, an atrium, and lobby.