A new contemplation garden at the University of California at Davis honors the Patwin people, who once inhabited the land that became the campus. The garden, part of the university’s 100-acre arboretum, is located on the bank of Putah Creek and includes 34 kinds of trees and plants that the Patwin used. The garden identifies many by their Patwin names.
The shape of a seating area in the new garden at the U. of California at Davis recalls the initial coil of a Patwin basket. (U. of California at Davis photo)
The garden also includes a series of engraved basalt columns, one of which records the names of 51 Patwin men, women, and children who were removed to missions between 1817 and 1836, when California was controlled by Spain and, later, Mexico. You can watch a slide show about the garden by clicking here.
The garden is within view of the university’s performing-arts center, on the site of which 13 Patwin graves were discovered during construction. The remains were reburied in an undisclosed location.
Return to Top