Here at Radical Summer Camp we are too busy reading, resting and eating to pay much attention to blogging. Nevertheless, when checking Twitter last night (yes, we do get cell service in the North Woods), the word “slutbag” kept appearing (HT Jason Cherkis) and it got our Internet juices flowing.
Further investigations revealed the latest news out of the crumbling Anthony Weiner mayoral campaign: a top Weiner aide loses her feminism card by referring to an intern leaker as a “fucking slutbag” and a c*nt; and the aforementioned intern leaker reveals that the Creepy Candidate in Chief called all female interns “Monica,” suggesting that he has really been obsessed with The Big Dog all along. Finally, in The New York Times Susan Jacoby wants to know why everyone is focused on Weiner’s nasty Internet behavior and no one wants to talk about the fact that “hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of women apparently derive gratification from exchanging sexual talk and pictures with strangers.”
Good point, Susan. Maybe they never found the right MOOC?
Only in New York would a female politico, who is drowning in an out of control campaign, slut-shame an intern, right? You gotta love it. None of this would have happened in Minneapolis. I have never heard the term slutbag (either because I am too old or too homosexual or both), but it appears that it is the female equivalent of “douchebag.” Urban Dictionary defines it for you here, proving that, when it comes down to it, the only real insults for both genders reference femaleness. As if we did not know this already.
Time for some of the nicer news that is crossing our various screens today:
- Historiann crowd sources advice for a reader on how and why to cut your manuscript.
- Youth activist Khary Lazarre-White is in the HuffPo with a meditation on race and violence.
- Flavia becomes wary of promise and potential.
- Tremble administrative swine! Graham Spanier and two others indicted for an alleged (!!!!it’s only an indictment!!!!) Penn State sex crimes cover up in the Sandusky case. Could this cause all colleges and unis to review their own policies on covering up campus rapes of female-bodied adult people? Enquiring minds want to know.
- According to David Silbey on Edge of the American West, you might want to check those jaunty signal flags (David, I throw down the gauntlet: can you spell slutbag in signal flags for us?) Noon update: check it out.
- Tom Tomorrow on Virginia Attorney General Ken Cucinelli in your bedroom.