Steven Muller, who was president of the Johns Hopkins University from 1972 to 1990, died on January 19. He was 85. During his tenure, he created an affiliation with the music school the Peabody Institute; helped bring the Space Telescope Science Institute to Baltimore; and made the School of Nursing a stand-alone division of the university for the first time. He led two major fund-raising campaigns, raising more than $700-million.
Theodore S. (Ted) Stern, president emeritus of the College of Charleston, died on January 18. He was 100. During his leadership, from 1968 to 1978, the college admitted its first African-American students, and enrollment increased from 432 student to more than 5,300.
Donald F. Hornig, who was president of Brown University from 1970 to 1976, died on January 21. He was 92. Before joining the faculty of Brown, in 1946, he worked on the development of the atomic bomb at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
J. Blaine Hudson, a longtime professor of history and Pan-African studies at the University of Louisville, died on January 5. He was 63. He had the distinction of occupying the dean's office first as a student protester, in 1969, and later as dean of the university's College of Arts and Sciences, from 2005 to 2012. He was a key organizer of the 1969 demonstration, which shut down the dean's office over demands for, among other things, the hiring of more black faculty members and the creation of the Pan-African-studies department. He ended up as chair of the department, from 1998 to 2003.
James H. Clark, who was director of the University of California Press from 1977 to 2002, died of cancer on January 14. He was 81. During his 25-year tenure, the number of new books the press published each year grew from 80 to 180, and annual revenue increased from $3-million to $20-million.
Correction (2/18/2013, 6:54 p.m.): The original version of this article said that Steven Muller, president emeritus of the Johns Hopkins University, created the Peabody Institute at the university. The Peabody Institute was founded in 1857. Mr. Muller created the music school's affiliation with the university. The article has been corrected to reflect that.