• April 23, 2014

Making 'la Diferencia': How to Bring Hispanic Students to Your College

Making 'la Diferencia': How to Bring Hispanic Students to Your College 1

Tim Foley for The Chronicle

close Making 'la Diferencia': How to Bring Hispanic Students to Your College 1

Tim Foley for The Chronicle

The only other Latino in my elementary school was named Everisto Monteiro, and while that does not exactly translate into "Mount Everest," it was close enough to produce name envy in a kid like me. Miami in the 60s was not the "suburb of Cuba" that it is today, and I longed for an Anglo name like Charles Field, my name's mundane conversion. I guess I felt that if I had to be saddled with a name that was different (at a time in life when fitting in was tantamount to breathing) and that most of my classmates and teachers butchered whenever they tried to say it, I could at least have been given a moniker with some gravitas.

"Name shame" is surely more prevalent than ever among Hispanic students, at a time when to be named Sanchez or Delgado is often enough to be labeled an illegal, with all of the accompanying cruelties.

My experience undoubtedly goes a long way to explain why I encourage our faculty and recruitment staff to respect students—Latina and Latino students and others—enough to at least pronounce their names with some dignity. While this approach may not single-handedly meet our enrollment goals for Hispanic students, it is one of many, often simple, ways that we—and other colleges and universities—can increase enrollments of Hispanic students in higher education.

It is has been nearly two years since President Molly Corbett Broad of the American Council on Education declared that "alarm bells should be going off" regarding minority enrollment in the United States, with particularly dismal numbers for Hispanics. Broad's warning was reinforced again in July with the findings of an AP-Univision poll that pointed out the discrepancy between the proportion of Hispanic adults who "value higher education" (87 percent) and those who have a college degree (13 percent).

While the number of Hispanic students in Northern Virginia continues to grow, here in the southeastern part of the state, they constitute only 4 percent of the population. Minority students make up 33 percent of our student body at Regent University—a remarkable figure for a fairly conservative Christian college—but we barely outpace the local population in our Hispanic enrollment.

Our undergraduate Hispanic students make up 6 percent of the nearly 2,000 enrolled, but our grad students are at 3 percent. We are out to improve those numbers and are aiming to grow to 15 percent in three years, but it won't be easy. Private education is expensive, and we will have to be creative and diligent to reach our enrollment goals. But faith-based institutions like ours may have an advantage: Hispanics make up nearly 30 percent of the Roman Catholics in the United States, and some researchers predict that half of all Latinos will belong to Protestant faiths by 2025. Hispanic students may well be predisposed to attend Christian universities like ours, if we can demonstrate that their traditions align with our collective mission and vision.

So what can colleges and universities do to help close this widening gap and attract Hispanic students? A few straightforward suggestions:

Invite Hispanic students onto your campuses. A college campus can be a scary place for minority students, and just setting foot on academe's hallowed ground brings down artificial walls that keep so many students away. One particular program that has worked well for us in the past lets students meet with professors; see a dance, theater, or music recital; dissect some frogs. Then we snap their photos and issue each student a "Future College Student" ID card, which gives students, and their parents, a visual memento that links them to your institution.

Reach out to Hispanic parents. Many will not come to your campus, so work with social services in your area to throw a block party in their neighborhoods, and make sure you have bilingual recruiters handing out brochures with the tacos and empanadas. You can also recruit at local Hispanic churches and community centers, but take time to build relationships. Invite the local pastors to lunch on the campus. Meet face to face with parents. "Mama" is not going to let her son—do not even think about her daughter!—leave home and go with some stranger to a school far away (and that can mean more than two blocks) unless she gets to know you a little.

Affirm your commitment to Hispanic students by offering curricular choices that honor their cultural legacy. Even the most glib recruiter's pitch will seem hollow if Hispanic students do not find any courses, programs, or offerings that provide tangible evidence that you are as committed to "minority-student success" as your ads say you are. You might consider a Latina/o-studies program, which is broader than Chicano studies or Latin American studies and can have interesting tracks like Hispanic marketing that teach excellent job-related skills.

Have your current Hispanic students serve as mentors in local high schools as part of a service-learning opportunity. Hispanics (I realize this paintbrush is quite broad) are very relational, and they are loyal. They will bond with their mentors quickly, and remember them—and their institutions—when it comes time to enroll.

If you are privileged to be a college or university president, model your commitment to Hispanic students. Educate yourself on issues that are important to Latina and Latino students and their parents. Commit to host culturally relevant events on your campus, and make sure you show up. Attend the next mixer at the nearest Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Volunteer to speak at a local school that has a high minority enrollment, and have Latin food brought in. (Local Latin restaurants often will provide it free to support an educational venture and gain some exposure.)

Above all else, be genuine in your approaches, and try to always follow through. Prospective Hispanic college students are watching you. Perhaps it is the little things that will make all la diferencia in bringing them to your campus. I can tell you that I always remembered when someone cared enough to at least try to pronounce "Carlos Campo" the way my Cuban grandmother did.

Carlos Campo is the new president of Regent University.

Comments

1. wilmarasalgado - August 09, 2010 at 05:41 am

I have a suggestion, what about having a hispanic professor reach to them. Tell them how they faced adversity and embraced the diversity they produce and let that be a motivation to students. But again, we have to get hired first... my dilema.

2. rickinchina09 - August 09, 2010 at 01:36 pm

I found this article annoying for calling attention to what ought to be common sense if not commonplace but also for being a bit self-serving. Don't all prospective students, regardless of background, deserve to feel welcome on campus tours, and to have those backgrounds validated?

I come from a blue-collar background myself, European American with a name far less comprehensible than the author of this article. I was the first in my family to attend college, so while most other students looked like me they did not act or even think like me on many levels. They were more confident though as I found out no more capable. I attended three large public high schools and received minimal counseling. My parents, though well-meaning, could be of no real help either. But I persevered and am in the main no worse for the wear. I feel I have earned my place in society--and then some.

Far too many Hispanics allude to the language barriers but at least they usually have ready access to someone who can speak Spanish. They are also the beneficiaries of affirmative action, including National Hispanic Achiever and other awards. Not so my wife, an Asian American whose home language was not English and who had access to no one in high school or college who could readily communicate with her. She too persevered and succeeded.

What we both lacked in material advantages we more than made up for in determination and true grit. College can be a scary place for any prospective freshman, so let's not try to distinguish among groups.

So while I welcome efforts to diversify our college campuses, I do not believe special consideration should be given to one ethnic or racial group more than any other. All students deserve access to advisors and the personal touch.

College is not an entitlement, though many would have us believe it is nowadays.

3. softshellcrab - August 09, 2010 at 04:03 pm

Thanks, rickinchina09! Well put. Nobody went out of their way to cater to you, and you had to earn what you got. What's all this about catering to hispanics? Why? Why not cater to Polish American students, or to Irish American students, or to some other group? I am so, so tired of efforts to cater to special ethinc groups. It is nothing but blatant, insidious prejudice.

Novel idea: treat everyone the same and if some group doesn't like it, and want special privileges or treatment, tell them to take a hike. When did that become an evil way of thinking?

Mr. Campo's suggestions are extremely troubling,and show blatant prejudice and expectation of privilege and advantage. Why should any special effort be made to attract Hispanic students? Why not throw a block party in my own, very white, neighborhood, instead of for Hispanics? What, we don't fit the targeted disadvantaged group criterion? I am so sick of this stuff.

4. rick1952 - August 09, 2010 at 04:46 pm

Rickinchina09 and softshell crab - the problem with this article is not the complaint you lodge, which reflects a fundamental ignorance about US History and Hispanic people specifically within the borders of this nation. Do a little homework about Hispanic experience in the USA (did you know, for example, that the first court case to challenge de jure segregation in the USA which helped set up the Brown v. Board case of 1954 was related to the segregation of Hispanic students?)

All immigrant groups to the USA can lay claim to the "lifted up by their bootstraps" saga if they are fortunate enough to resemble the European-American appearance and heritage of those who founded this nation (e.g., the Irish, Italians, Greeks, Polish, Norweigians, and any other group that looked European-American.) Interesting that most of these immigrant groups were able to integrate into US society within a generation or two.

So, what is it that keeps Hispanics who don't look European-American enough from being integrated into US society? Learn more about US history, racial perceptions about Hispanics that European-Americans hold and you may come to understand better some of the dynamamics involved. You will quickly discover that European-Americans have never treated all persons equally; they have always treated less well those whose racial/cultural backgrounds they did not share (witness the African-American and Native American experience.)

Interestingly, the only ethnic group who by law were excluded from the US as immigrants and potential citizens were the Chinese (during the 19th century.) Now that China is a major world economic force, it looks like Chinese immigrants may not have to suffer the consequences of that historical exclusion. During WWII only Japanese-American citizens were taken to concentration camps (oh, excuse me, I mean internment camps such as Manzanar) not Italian or German American citizens. Unequal treatment of individuals based on their perceived membership in an ethnic/racial group has a strong history in the USA and, unfortunately, continues in practice today. Perhaps Asians in general will be better accepted in our nation given the economic rise of Asian nations. I count on that since I have a grandchild who was born in Asia to my son and his Korean wife.) Obviously, no one factor fully accounts for this situation, but the factor of race does account for a significant portion of the problem we face.

As a Puerto Rican, first generation college student who grew up in NYC, I have lots of personal and professional experience that tells me that what we need is not just some simple, superficial activity to increase Hispanic enrollment in college. What we need is a MASSIVE change in the educational system in the USA which concentrates poverty in urban and rural school districts in which many Hispanic students are enrolled (go back to my reference to US History. The late John Hope Franklin, an eminent historian, commented once that the case of the Puerto Rican population was interesting because we range in appearance from European-American to African-American; he ventured the guess that if we were viewed more akin to African-Americans, our social fate would be similar to theirs - again, looking at our history and how individuals are treated based on what groups they are perceived to belong to.)

If young Hispanic students are not prepared well at the pre-college level, all the simple, nice things Carlos Campos talks about will make no substantive difference. If the pre-college educational system is properly corrected (for all students, not just Hispanics BTW) then we will see a surge in Hispanic enrollments at all colleges across the USA.

You can depend on the fact that there are many "up-by-their-bootstraps" Hispanics who will take advantage of real opportunities that a good education offers. I know, because I am one of them. Frankly, I am tired of being one of the few "lucky" ones who managed to survive and thrive educationally despite the shortcomings of our school systems. And I am really tired of ill-informed statements about Hispanic people who should "lift themselves up by their bootstraps b/c nobody did anything for (fill in the blank with your favorite European-American immigrant group.)"

Let's get to the root the college enrollment problem - poor pre-college educational systems. Fix that and a lot of the silly complaints about Hispanics, and other children of low-income communities, will disappear.

5. honore - August 09, 2010 at 06:34 pm

<Comment removed by moderator>

6. honore - August 09, 2010 at 07:10 pm

rick1952...a couple of things...

1. Read "Una Storia Segreta" it is an account of Italian Americans who were evicted from their homes and placed in concentration camps THROUGHOUT THE USA during WW11. Americans are TOTALLY unaware of this sordid chapter in our history that is typically ONLY ascribed to the Japanese.

Even MOST Italian-Americans IN THE ACADEMY are clueless about this because neither they nor non-Italians want to acknowledge just how HORRENDOUS the experience of these Italian-Americans was. Google the title.

2. As a WHITE Puerto Rican or Corsican, Basque and Mallorcan background, who speaks NUMEROUS languages (English is my THIRD)and who has held professional appointments throughout the US and abroad (Europe, South America & Middle East), I understand your perspective, but Mr. Carlos cannot be allowed to peddle this nonsense and go unchallenged. In a century when the US population demographic will skew VERY rapidly toward a decidly "latin" direction, allowing articles such as this one replete with every stereo-type imaginable about hispanic-cultured peoples is UNACCEPTABLE.

3. The CHE is failing its readers everytime they publish one of these "insider" exposes on the "latino" condition and without exception that are NOT informative at all, but rather serve to re-inforce tired caricatures of "latinos" serve to comfort the American status quo and KEEP latin-cultured people at the periphery of assimiliation and doomed to mainstream exclusion.

Thank you though for your insightful commentary. Increasingly they are rare. Por ahora...

7. softshellcrab - August 09, 2010 at 07:11 pm

Be as tired as you want of hearing it rick1952, but you show the racism and demand for special privileges that is common of liberals and of many minority group members (not all, but many). All you talk about is race, race, race. Quite bellyaching. We don't owe anyone a "massive" change in the education system. It works fine for those who work at it. Hispanics, just as an example, have a much, much higher drop out rate than, say, whites or asians. Also a much higher unwed birth rate. Quit blaming the white race for everything and get live right. The failure to live by good morals, to work hard and to study hard is the true "root" of the problem for any group, Hispanics or otherwise, who are having trouble succeeding. Why do asians do well but not hispanics? What, whites are prejudiced against one different-looking group but not another? Odd people in their prejudices, these whites... And don't call Japanese internment camps concentration camps. Too many who see themselves as underprivileged, special-treatment-seeking groups also show a basic resentment toward America, and want to continually bash it. Your attempt to America-bash is a tremendous insult to those whe actually were in concentration camps and truly saw the horrors of the mass exterminations that took place in those camps. You said we should learn our history, you should learn yours.

8. rick1952 - August 09, 2010 at 09:36 pm

Honore - thank you for the suggested reading, I will look for the book - as I do not speak or read Italian, is it in translation? (I am not nearly as well-versed in foreign languages as you are; Spanish and English, and I hope a little Korean soon, are my languages.) And, I appreciate your criticism of Mr. Campos' essay, though my reaction to it is less intense than my frustration with the reality of school systems which continue to undereducate so many children, including Hispanic children, in our low-income communities.

Softshellcrab: who created and perpetuated the concept of race as we know and have to deal with it in the USA? I believe any fair reading of US history will show that it was the European-American founders of this nation who enshrined this concept in the laws of our nation. Their descendants perfected the concept over more than a century and half. That does not mean European-Americans are to blame for everything that is wrong in this country nor does it negate the good things that they did in creating this nation and its government. It does mean they have substantial responsibility for the legacy of difficulties our nation faces because of racial discrimination. They were not perfect and neither is the nation they created.

I also believe any fair reading of US history will show that it was the insistence of those excluded "minorities" as you refer to them, particularly African-Americans, Hispanics and women, that the USA live up to its highest ideals for ALL persons that resulted in the expansion of human and civil rights in the USA, especially during my youth (which happened to be during the turbulent era of the 1960's, which clearly dates me. How do you understand the civil rights movement of the mid-20th century, the farmworkers movement or the women's righs movement? I know that there were European-Americans who participated in and supported each of these movements, in opposition to other European-Americans who sought to preserve and perpetuate these injustices. Are you old enough to remember George Wallace's declaration at his gubenatorial inauguration? It was "Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever!" Are you aware of the various "White Christian Identity" groups that currently exist in our nation who seek to eliminate from our nation those who are not European-American? The Southern Poverty Law Center has provided consistent, documented information about such groups for many years. So, my challenge to ur nation is not "...bellyaching..." nor does it reflect "...resentment toward America..." It is a demand that our nation face up to all of its history, good and bad, and work to correct a fundamental structural problem that exacerbate the racial tensions that exist.

I am also astounded to hear you claim that our educational system works for those who work with it. Have you not read the various reports since "A nation at risk" from the mid-1980's up to the comprehensive review by Linda Darling Hammond in The Flat World & Education which clearly indicate that our educational system is failing ALL of our children, and is egregious in its failure of our low-income children?

I don't imagine we will see eye-to-eye on this issue, but you can rest assured I will challenge any misrepresentation about Hispanic people in the USA or about the adequacy of our educational system.

And, as I noted in response to Honore, I will continue to seek out information that will further inform my understanding of our nation's history, taking the good with the bad. I hope you will do the same.

9. d_and_der - August 10, 2010 at 12:09 am

Kudos to #2 and #3. Any legal citizen or person with a student visa is welcome if they can meet the admissions requirements. Yes, some have it more difficult than others for many reasons but they persevere with hard work and determination.

Those who fall low on the ACT, SAT, LSAT,TOFEL, etc., bell curve should not get admitted regardless of race, color, etc. Do not ask me to give them special consideration that only leads to mediocrity. The students that deserve extra attention are the intellectually superior and the highly motivated who may actually make a contribution to society.

Stop shoving a college degree down everyone's throat. In the last two years, my Hispanic gardener has become a very successful landscaping entrepreneur who earns more money than I do. And, from the look on his face, he is a lot happier than I am.

10. diplomatic - August 10, 2010 at 05:29 am

Consider this. I conducted an experiment submitting resumes, one with my real very ethnic Spanish (er Latino er Mexican-American) name, quite a number of these resumes went out. Guess what. No call back. No interview. Nothing.

Then, I submitted a resume with the same exact credentials, college degree, graduate degree, area of interest and specialization with an anglicized named based on my middle name and a variation of my last name, very English-sounding, white even UK sounding name. Guess what. I received a call back. Immediately.

Now try to tell me that name-prejudice does not exist.

The "name shame" was one of the most valid points of this article. And part of that shame comes from these ingrained prejudices.

11. rick1952 - August 10, 2010 at 06:09 am

d_and_der - while I share the commitment of many persons who seek to identify and recruit qualified and motivated students for college and I agree that college may not be the best choice for every person given their career and personal interests (one of my siblings chose to pursue successfully a career as an independent trucker), I caution you against over-reliance on standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, etc. as the criteria for determining qualification for college education.

I am reading "Rewarding Strivers - Helping Low-Income Students Succeed in College" (R. D. Kahlenberg, ed.; Century Foundation Press, 2010), which devotes a substantial chapter to the research of Carnevale & Strohl who offer a comprehensive analysis of the challenges we face in higher education as we try to offer educational opportunity to a more diverse population. That chapter (and even the book) would have merited a Review essay b/c it identifies characteristics which are more likely to predict success in College, as well as other significant issues that impact opportunity and choice for our youth.

But, to your point that the SAT, etc. are the proper criteria for determining qualification to enter and complete college, Carnevale & Strohl state that the SAT is an "...insufficient metric..." which measures, "...something simply called 'G,' which in turn correlates almost equally with socioeconomic status and the ability to achieve a freshman grade point of 2.5 out of a possible 4.0." (p.101) In fact, they state earlier that, "...traditional metrics are-at least in part-mechanisms for legitimizing illegitimate differences in opportunities to learn that begin long before the nation's youth take college entrance examinations." (p.95)

We, in higher education, have a lot of work to do to identify the proper characteristics or metrics which will identify individuals, particularly low-income individuals, who are likely to be qualified for and successful in pursuing higher education and the professional careers those with college degrees can pursue.

But, if we don't improve our schools (see, as previously mentioned, Linda Darling Hammond's "The Flat World and Education," or Larry Cuban's "As Good As it Gets," -both of which I have read- or Diane Ravitch's, "The Death and Life of the Great American School System: How Testing and Choice Are Undermining Education," - which I am about to read after hearing her speak recently. Each of these books was published this year and offer a comprehensive discussion of this issue) then our work in higher education is likely to be far less succesful in advancing the American Dream for all who are prepared to do the hard work realizing it requires.

I hope that more readers of the Chronicle will take time to read the carefully considered analysis of a range of researchers who are looking at how our educational system works and fails to work for our nation. As I said before, if we improve the educational system, we will reduce many of the "problems" associated with discrimination in our nation, especially discrimination based on race. Perhaps I am naive in believing that education can be so powerful a corrective but in my personal experience, education is what has most powerfully contributed to the professional and economic success I enjoy. I want that opportunity to be available to far more persons in our nation.

12. honore - August 10, 2010 at 11:08 am

rick1952...your points are thought-provoking if not certainly subjective, however Dr. Carlos' article still sucks, it is very patronizing and filled with degrading stereo-types and offensive references that I WILL NOT accept quietly.

13. rick1952 - August 10, 2010 at 05:27 pm

Honore: I understand your anger about the essay by Dr. Campos and recognize the urgency with which you challenge the offensive stereotypes.

I looked up Una Storia Segreta on Google as you suggested. Your statement that many of us are unaware of this action is correct with reference to me. I had no idea Italians had also faced arrest and internment at the outset of WWII. The only good thing I could discern from the government's action is that a relatively small number of individuals were affected, though that does not excuse the government for violating a fundamental principle in our constitution - innocent until proven guilty.

It is a shame to realize there is yet another example of how war hysteria can lead us to compromise fundamental rights - I guess the Alien and Sedition Act is the spiritual forerunner to the USA Patrior Act. Will our children and grandchildren discover similar stories related to Muslims?

This seems akin to the agita that led to Arizona's new law regarding proof of citizenship (not that I want to open up the debate about immigration reform, a topic that certainly draws enough heated rhetoric on its own. Interestingly, though, this is a topic that seems to have a disproportionate impact on Hispanics. Maybe we need to remember to always have our birth certificates with us - to borrow from the old credit card commercial, "Don't leave home without it." After all, I bet there are still many persons who don't know that as Puerto Ricans we are not immigrants but citizens of the USA.)

I will try to remain focused on promoting, supporting and participating in efforts to improve educational opportunity for as many students as possible. And it won't be by concentrating on the simple and superficial recommendations of Dr. Campos; it will be working with others who seek to improve the educational system. Perhaps one day we will find ourselves working together on this issue. I would enjoy the opportunity to engage in a good conversation with you.

14. karldaggerfield - August 11, 2010 at 12:23 am

RickinChina, I found Dr Campo's prescription for attracting minority students, especially Hispanics, to be fairly benign, anodyne, and insightful. What I found anoying is your chip-on-the-shoulder pseudo-Horatio Alger response. Is Dr Campo not allowed to draw from his own experiences and apply his cultural understanding to advise upon attracting a significant yet underepresented group?

I think we all know the days of lumping everyone into the same group is over, for better or worse. But every marketing campaign designed for a certain learner subgroup is borne of sinister racist intentions. Inistead, why not regard Campo's article as a fairly humble and straightforward approach to positioning his only commodity -- education delivery -- to a group that culturally needs some handd-holding?!

Your name suggests you live in China & you describe an Asian wife. Perhaps you are tired of being treated as a 2nd-class citizen? You sure sound bitter about your blue-collar, Johnny-Paycheck, Take-This-Job-&-Shove-It life. One can't help but believe if you had run into a few

15. karldaggerfield - August 11, 2010 at 12:25 am

RickinChina....(cont) One can't help but believe if youhad run into a few more Campo's, and less rednecks, you'd be a happier, better-adjusted, and more aptly educate and employed person. Heck, you might not have even had to export yourself to find gainful employment!

In any event, have a good evening.

Dr. Karl Daggerfield

16. karldaggerfield - August 11, 2010 at 12:38 am

And Softshellcrab...which we must assume is now drenched in oil, which must have affected your primary functions...would you give me a break? Dr. Campo suggests ways to make Hispanic potential students more at-ease during recruiting. And that is "extremely troubling"? Puh-Leez!

There is no statement in Campo's missive that indicates he is either asking for pro-racist treatment, like AA, or asking for special rules for Hispanics. What he is really doing, if you'd care to pull the white hood back so you can have a bit better reading comprehension -- is explaining how to have some cultural sensitivity. That is simple common sense.

So where is the "blatant prejudice"? In your mind, where all preudices grow and fester like a sinister Legionnaire's Syndrome, to poison and infect all persons not exactly like you, who are unfortunate enough to stumble across your path.

People, can we get some perspective here...all heat and no light in this forum is leaving me feeling oxygene-deprived.

Dr Karl Daggerfield

17. karldaggerfield - August 11, 2010 at 12:52 am

To: rickinchina09, softshellcrab, rick1952, honore, d_and_der, etc, ad infinitum...I'm starting to see a very common theme here...which is a single blogger drowning this forum with invective that is not only presumptuously prejudiced and simplistically wrong, but grossly distorts Dr Campo's position.

Yes, "Rick" -- I'm asking you to consider putting aside all the Kierkegaardian-esque pseudonyms that agree more closely than the members of an Apocalyptic Doomsday cult. Use your real name, as I have, and let's lay all our cards on the table. You resent Hispanics. Now let's begin to talk about "why," and see if we can't move this dialogue onto productive ground, instead of miring down into the racial Slough of Despond.

Having done some research on Dr Campo, I've discoved the man is perhaps the first Hispanic president of an American university. In fact, I found an intriguing article about him just published in a Va paper. Google "Meet Regent University's new president"

In any event, Rick, please come out of the China closet and bring all your imaginary friends. Let's sit at the table and have a talk about America and race and education. I'm sure we'll all learn something, in the end.

Shalom

Dr. Karl Daggerfield

18. honore - August 11, 2010 at 09:21 am

Dear Dr. Karl...with your comment to Rickinchina09...(warranted or not)...

"if you'd care to pull the white hood back so you can have a bit better reading comprehension...

All 4 legs of your horse of self-righteousness just fell off.
Oh well, there is after all a archeological resurgence of legless (even headless) chinese ceramic horsese, these days.

19. karldaggerfield - August 11, 2010 at 10:24 am

Ricko'China/Honore' d'Ballsaq, et al -- you are the one throwing around racist charges, whilst claiming to be in the minority of White men -- under your various guises.

Please have a come-to-Jesus meeting with yourself and accept the tough-love fact that most ne'er-do-wells, like you & your imaginary cadre', fail upon their own merits. Stop blaming others and accept that you lack what it takes -- which has nothing to do do, whatsoever, with Dr Campo giving a few pointers on how to make Hispanics feel welcome on a campus.

Shame on you! Now, feel free to return to your facorite movie -- Falling Down...

Dr Karl Daggerfield

20. honore - August 11, 2010 at 10:46 am

Dr. Karl, your rancor and vitriole speak for your lack of judgment, perspective and real knowledge of the topic at hand...now let me pull-out that sword you keep sitting yourself on.

And as for Dr. Carlos, I can only say that almost 15 years at UNLV (read his Bio) for ALL of his degrees have left him better qualified to teach make-up tricks to retired showgirls on the strip or fallen-away nuns at Regent "University".

Shame on you, for criticizing others who VERY apparently know more about the topic than you do from your pretentious throne of authority on all things "hispanic".

Now get back to the Taco Bell drive-up window and impress them with your "sabiduria" and be sure to ask for extra salsa.

21. karldaggerfield - August 11, 2010 at 11:31 am

"Honore' Ballsaq", aka Ricko'China -- why do you insist on defaming great French novelists with your inane & racist commentary? You've been outed, so please pipe down.

But perhaps all your fake ID's are what you've cobbled together to create a Human Comedy of Imbecility? If that wasn't your goal, well -- at least you've achieved something with your otherwise irrelevant stagger across this overheated orb.

Dr Karl Daggerfield

22. gplm2000 - August 12, 2010 at 03:17 pm

So we go out and actively recruit Latinos/Hispanics, why? Are they prohibited from applying on their own? Is there a goal here? Who pays the tab for another affirmative action program that discriminates against other groups?