• September 19, 2014

How You Might Get the Job

Job Market Illustration Careers

Brian Taylor

close Job Market Illustration Careers

Brian Taylor

Last month, I wrote about the reasons that you might have been unsuccessful this year in your search for a full-time teaching position at a community college. In this column, lets's talk about ways that you can improve your chances during the next hiring cycle.

I'll warn you in advance that you might not like some of my suggestions. Perhaps I should also point out—although it hardly seems necessary these days—that, even if you do everything I suggest, there are no guarantees. I'm just trying to help you put yourself in the best possible position as a candidate.

The essential question is, if you're planning to resume your search this fall for a full-time, tenure-track job at a community college, what should you be doing between now and then to make yourself a more attractive candidate?

Teach as much as you can. One important difference between community colleges and research institutions is that the latter frequently hires people fresh out of graduate school, with very little teaching experience beyond their time as TA's. Community colleges rarely do that. We like people who have a few years of classroom experience under their belts, preferably at a two-year college.

Depending on the college, that experience doesn't necessarily have to be full time. Some two-year institutions, like mine, count a certain number of courses taught on an adjunct basis as a year of experience. So if you're applying for full-time positions and you're not already teaching part time at a community college, you need to see if you can pick up a course or two this fall.

The good news is that, no matter where you live, there's probably a community college within easy driving distance. And assuming you teach in a field for which there is at least moderate demand, and you meet the minimum qualifications, picking up a few courses shouldn't be too difficult. Perhaps the only advantage of what is sometimes referred to as the "adjunctification" of the professoriate is that part-time positions are plentiful nationwide, especially true at two-year colleges, where enrollments continue to grow despite (or perhaps because of) the recession.

Learn to speak community-college lingo. Teaching experience at a two-year college is important because search committees are looking for people who are familiar with our colleges and understand what we're about. When you teach on a community-college campus, even as an adjunct, you begin to absorb the culture and learn to speak our language.

That language is focused on teaching and learning, not on research, and may be considerably different from the dialect you spoke as a graduate student. We talk about learning styles, classroom technology, developmental studies, assessment, advising, and student success. You can pick up the lingo pretty quickly by listening to your full-time colleagues, participating in hallway conversations, and attending department meetings. And your ability to speak and understand the lingo will serve you well during your next interview for a full-time position.

Make yourself indispensable. Mark Twain supposedly once said that, if you want to be a writer, you should be willing to do it for free for two years. After that, if no one offers to pay you to write, you should probably choose a different profession.

The same basic principle holds true for other professions, as well, including teaching. If you want to succeed in the long run, whether you're an adjunct hoping to get a full-time gig or you're brand new to the tenure track, you may have to do a lot of things that, while outside the scope of your formal duties, will catch the attention of those you hope to impress. In the past I've offended people by saying that—"You just want me to work for free," they snarl—but I believe it's true.

If you're an adjunct, the two-year college where you already work might offer your best chance of full-time employment. So my advice is to do everything in your power to make yourself indispensable on the campus. Spend all of the extra time you can afford hanging around in your office (if you have one), in the adjunct "bullpen," or in the faculty lounge. Volunteer to serve on committees, sponsor student organizations, grade departmental exams—whatever. In short, behave as if you already work there full time. Then maybe, when your name comes up during the next search, some committee members will be surprised to learn that you're not already on the tenure track and will want to rectify that situation.

Even if you're applying for full-time positions at other colleges, all of those things you did "for free" will provide excellent résumé fodder. It might very well set you apart from others in the pool who, like you, have only part-time teaching experience but haven't been as active.

Be willing to move. Your current college may offer your best chance of landing a full-time position, but it's not your only chance. In fact, statistically, you're probably more likely to be hired at one of the nation's 1,200 or so other community colleges. You just have to be willing to move near one of them.

I understand that many adjuncts, perhaps most, have family or other ties to the area where they live. If that describes you, your only realistic option is to follow the advice above: Get as much experience as you can and make yourself as indispensable as possible, in the hope that you'll eventually land a tenure-track job without having to move.

If, however, you're in a position to relocate, then obviously that increases your odds mathematically. And if you're willing to go just about anywhere, then you stand a very good chance of getting hired—someplace. Even in this wasteland of an economy, there are still scores of community-college jobs advertised each fall, representing almost every major discipline.

Improve your application. Spend some time working on your job materials, both by improving the way you present yourself on paper and adding to the activities you can include.

First, consult different sources to make sure your cover letter, CV, résumé, teaching statement—and whatever else you might send—are as complete, well-written, and effective as possible and follow standard formats. The Chronicle archives contain a wealth of information on this topic.

Next, cultivate experiences worth mentioning. You already have your academic degrees and whatever teaching experience you've managed to acquire. Continue adding to that teaching experience—you can't have too much—while accumulating the types of voluntary service activities outlined above.

One thing I haven't mentioned yet is professional development. While it isn't vital for you to have publications, it certainly doesn't hurt, especially if you can take things you've already written (like your dissertation, for example, or other graduate-school papers) and turn them into publishable articles. Otherwise, remain active in your discipline by reading to stay current and by attending conferences whenever possible. Giving a few conference talks would also help a great deal because presentations are to community-college faculty members (most of whom publish little, if at all) what publications are to research faculty members.

All of those activities will help to enrich your professional life and provide compelling reasons for search committees to take your application seriously. And they're all things you can do, or at least get started on, over the summer. It's time to get busy. The first applications are usually due in November.

Rob Jenkins is an associate professor of English and director of the Writers Institute at Georgia Perimeter College. He blogs at www.academicleaders.org and writes monthly for our community-college column. If you would like to write for our regular column on faculty and administrative careers at two-year colleges, or have a topic to propose, we would like to hear from you. Send your ideas to careers@chronicle.com.

Comments

1. pajohns1 - June 18, 2010 at 09:26 am

Excellent advice. Do you have any additional suggestions for those of us pursuing full-time online work at a Community College?

2. robjenkins - June 18, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I know this might sound kinda lame, pajohns1, but the answer is basically the same: teach ONLINE all you can. Fortunately, there are so many online programs around, the chances are good you can find adjunct work fairly easily. I know people who make a pretty good living teaching online at three or four different institutions. Some teach as many as eight or ten sections per semester. One person I know makes six figures doing that year-round.

I'm sure you're familiar with all the major players in the online degree market. Also, don't forget to check out the local (or not-so-local) brick-and-mortar schools that are trying to shore up enrollment through distance learning. Go online and see who's hiring in your field. Then apply everywhere you can, and take on as many sections as you can handle.

Another thing I'd suggest is that you take advantage of every opportunity to get more training--in technology, in online pedagogy, in legal issues. The more hands-on experience you have, and the more convincingly you can present yourself as a real expert in online teaching--and not just a face-to-face instructor who can also teach online--the better chance you have of getting a full-time job.

One nice thing is that you might not even have to move to take that new job cross-country. So all in all, because there's a lot of demand right now for people who can do a good job teaching online, I'd say you're in a better position than people who prefer to (or can only) teach face-to-face.

Hope this helps, although I doubt I said anything you hadn't already figured out for yourself. Best of luck in your search.

3. buckgw59 - June 18, 2010 at 03:24 pm

Professor Jenkins:

Although I am tenured at a MS comprehensive institution, I did look at job offers at two year colleges. Once I had a Masters' degree, I got offers because I had several years' experience as a high school teacher. The doctoral degree and the TA experience made me even more marketable for adjunct and full-time positions. While many Phds would have to get certified to teach grades 7-12 (a long process that may require additional coursework in education, plus student teaching or an internship), readers should consider this as a possible pathway.

4. robjenkins - June 18, 2010 at 04:47 pm

Agreed, buckgw59. Thanks for chiming in. The only caveat I might add is that, in my state--don't know about others--K-12 teachers are being laid off in record numbers, and recent college grads in education are facing a market nearly as daunting as the one causing ulcers for aspiring professors. In some ways, that's been the scariest part of this recession for me: the fact that even elementary/secondary education, once considered among the most stable of job sectors, isn't immune.

That said, it's probably still a little easier to get a job teaching high school than one teaching college, and the experience could definitely enhance the old CV, especially in certain disciplines. (Not to mention the fact that it's better than not working at all.)

5. robertwgehl - June 20, 2010 at 01:54 pm

Prof. Jenkins -
Sound advice. At my current employer, Northern Virginia CC, being involved in student clubs is very well regarded by hiring committees. A part-time faculty member who helps students start a new chapter of a national organization or other club is a valued member of the school. In addition, I would add that simply being on campus (tough as it is given job status and demands on your time) is very important, since adjuncts often don't see many full-timers (and vice-versa).

- Rob Gehl

6. robjenkins - June 20, 2010 at 05:09 pm

Great points, Rob. Thanks for contributing to the discussion. Have you ever suggested to a part-time colleague that, in order to get a full-time position, he or she might want to become more involved? If so, how was that advice received?

Best wishes,

7. robertwgehl - June 20, 2010 at 05:42 pm

Rob -
I'm relatively new, so I tread a bit lightly considering some people have been at the school longer than I have, and I am not sure if they want full-time gigs there or not. But for colleagues who have asked, yes, I've talked about being involved... committee work, volunteering to judge a talent contest, pitching in on reviewing entrance exams. Service seems to be very important at the community college.
- Other Rob

8. robertwgehl - June 20, 2010 at 06:47 pm

Oh, and to answer the second question: the people who ask tend to be interested in the advice, so I'm guessing it's received well...

9. robjenkins - June 20, 2010 at 07:09 pm

Yeah, well, as I alluded to in the column, I frequently gave similar advice to adjuncts who came to my office when I was department chair to ask what they needed to do to get hired. Some of them didn't take it very well. One accused me of trying to exploit her, stormed out of my office in a huff, then sent a terse e-mail the next day informing me that she would no longer be teaching for GPC. Guess I was being completely unreasonable. . . .

On another note, I have an unrelated question. Could you e-mail me at Robin.Jenkins@gpc.edu?

Thanks,

10. nassa - June 21, 2010 at 08:52 am

Great advice, professor Jenkins! I have been doing adjunct routes for 8 years now and have not been involved in any extra-curricular activities. This is partly due to long commutes between colleges, but partly also due to the insular nature of tenured vs. adjunct world. Adjuncts are not invited to meetings and many are simply kept away from the college "brew". But with your advice I will keep at it a little more seriously - finding opportunities to get involved with students and departments. To tell you the truth I am sick and tired of receiving notices of being discontinued every single year and every single semester at every new place that I find to work at. Tell me please, why do I have such a hard time to keep an adjunct job at one place? Everywhere I go I am being discontinued time after time. Is this normal?

11. robjenkins - June 21, 2010 at 09:33 am

That does sound a little unusual, nassa. Have you gone in to talk to any of the chairs about why you weren't rehired?

12. wilkenslibrary - June 21, 2010 at 01:52 pm

The old question "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" refers not only to m-f relationships but also to contingent faculty. Too many institutions are more than happy to have us volunteer for duties for which f-t faculty get paid. When it comes time to hire, there is no incentive to reward those who have proven that they are easily exploitable. Forgive my cynicism, but I have seen it happen all too often.

13. rochcom - June 21, 2010 at 05:24 pm

I have to say that the advice sounds good, but it has not worked for me or for several others I know. I have been interviewed at several community colleges. Often, they want to hire at lowest cost. Having a PhD or extensive experience can be a liability because it gives the impression that you expect to be paid more, in spite of any statement that you make to the contrary. There is also the fear that you will leave as soon as you can find another, better paying or more prestigious position.

A colleague has taught at a community college for many years and has taken several temporary full time positions there. This adjunct has received great student ratings and positive classroom observations and initiated research on the effectiveness of teaching an important class. But this experienced teacher has been repeatedly passed over for permanent full-time positions.

At one CC where I have taught, adjuncts were discouraged from participating in any activities beyond teaching because there was a fear that the college might be required under state labor law to pay for those services. Besides, it is very easy for a search committee to point out all of the flaws of an existing part-timer, while putting on their rose colored glasses for viewing outside applicants. This "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" mentality has resulted in some very poor hiring decisions.

14. lonsdale26 - June 21, 2010 at 08:42 pm

As a former graduate student and a current adjunct instructor in the humanities, there are two messages I am tired of hearing from writers in *The Chronicle* and on lists like WRK4US. I wish we could just retire these old raisins and admit we don't have a clue what to do about the declining rates of faculty hires.

The first is: The key to success at non-academic jobs and community college jobs is doing extra work for free or near free. When I was in graduate school, my teaching skills were exploited in exchange for the degree. Now that I'm an adjunct, my teaching skills are exploited for what amounts to minimum wage. I am sick and tired of being told that I haven't sacrificed enough for the institutions who are holding out tenure-track jobs like the fake rabbit on a greyhound track. I am tired of being told that if I just give up more time, more effort, more money, more respect and more security, I might -- just might -- get a job one day that will allow you to live a middle-class life.

This piece of advice may or may not be true -- and I have no doubt that Rob Jenkins and others who have given it out over the years believe it to be the best course of action -- but, frankly, it's insulting and flies in the face of the reality of contemporary hiring practices. It's the kind of advice that makes everyone else other than the recipient feel better.

The second is: there are plenty of jobs out there in the "real world" for humanities Ph.D.'s. We all know this to be a blatant lie and it's time we stopped perpetuating it. Unless you are willing to work for free or near free on the mere possibility that some employer might -- just might -- give you a job in a field only tangentially related to what you trained for (see the first point), or are willing to completely retrain yourself for a new career (an option open to everyone), there are no jobs out there for humanities Ph.D.'s to do what they were trained to do in graduate school. Can we all just agree to that and move on?

15. circlesthesun - June 22, 2010 at 07:39 am

Anything in life worth achieving takes work. My philosophy: no pain, no gain. Yes, there's no guarantee that taking on additional duties as an adjunct will mean a full-time position. Based on the knowledge I've gathered from this blog I've become involved with: sitting on curriculum committees, being a judge at debate tournaments, and shadowing a colleague in their classroom for the entire semester. I make sure my colleagues and my dean are aware that I'm available to help. Needless work for me? I think not. I'm only trying to keep my side of the street clean, in hopes of full-time work.

16. gosasquatch - June 22, 2010 at 11:26 am

My first (and current) adjunct job is teaching at a for-profit (UofP) online. I'd like to move both into a community college classroom as and adjunct. Does my for-profit experience help or hurt my resume?

17. deliajones - June 22, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Nassa,

If, as you report, you are continually "discontinued" at various schoolds, there is indeed something very wrong with either your performance or with others' perception of performance. As the former chairman of a large department at a community college, I much prefer to retain adjunct faculty than to hire anew. For one thing, the paperwork for hiring a new adjunct can take me hours. For another, when I know the person I am putting in the classroom will offer a good quality class, it can save me many hours of classroom observation. You should ask to meet with someone who has not renewed your contract. If you ask for and get such a meeting, go in with the idea that you are seeking information that will be helpful to you in the long run, and not with an attempt to argue your way back in.

18. robjenkins - June 23, 2010 at 02:02 pm

I understand where lonsdale26 and others are coming from, but I think theirs is a self-defeating attitude.

First, people who have never held a T-T job have to understand that their T-T colleagues don't get paid for a lot of the stuff they do, either--sponsoring student organizations, serving on social committees, taking on additional advising assignments, etc. At most community colleges, tenured faculty can basically just teach their classes, keep their office hours, and go home. They might also have to do some advising, at certain points in the year, and serve on a committee that never meets, but they HAVE to do very little else. (Not that teaching a 5/5 load isn't enough to keep someone busy.) People who volunteer for extra duties do so in order to enhance their careers and also, perhaps, because they like working with students or helping their colleagues or whatever. Obviously, they reap certain rewards for their willingness to pitch in, including (often) appreciation from colleagues and approbation from administrators.

So to suggest that adjuncts, if they want to enhance their careers and improve their chances of getting hired full-time, should do the same is hardly an endorsement of exploitation. It just seems like common sense to me. Of course people who follow that advice have no guarantee that they'll ever get a T-T job. But people who don't follow it are, in my view, pretty much guaranteeing that they'll never get such a job.

gosasquatch: I believe your experience at UofP should enhance your resume.

19. sici3302 - June 23, 2010 at 05:33 pm

I agree with the advice in this article, and would add one more thing. Since teaching is what it's all about, You should have an excellent, pedagogically sound teaching demo prepared. Maybe two different ones, as some colleges will ask you to teach a 1 hour class, and others just want you to do a 15-minute one. Make sure that your demo includes more than just a lecture - do something that engages the students with interactivity and accomodates various learning styles. Also have excellent handouts, as that will be what the committee will reference to remember you after you've left.

20. robjenkins - June 23, 2010 at 09:53 pm

Thanks for bringing up the teaching demo, sici3302. I actually address that very issue in a column titled "Demonstration or Demolition?", which readers can find in the Chronicle's archives.

21. mmcknight - June 24, 2010 at 12:00 pm

People who complain bitterly about being exploited and refuse to "work for free" are, I would think, highly unlikely to get hired by anyone who's overheard (or read) the person complaining. Whether or not the complaints are valid, no one loves a complainer.

On an unrelated note, I'd also add that fall isn't the only time community college jobs are posted--in fact, my experience in three separate community-college-only job searches has been that they're far more often posted in spring for the following fall (at least in my field, which is English/writing). So if you don't find anything by January, don't stop looking! I've seen job postings for August openings as late as June, though March is when I've seen the most new postings. It probably also depends on whether the institution is on semesters or trimesters/quarters....

22. robjenkins - June 24, 2010 at 02:53 pm

That's a great point, mmcknight. Thanks.

23. jimauburn - June 25, 2010 at 02:06 pm

You are encouraging people to be an adjunct? Shame on you. Also shame on anyone who takes one of these demeaning positions. You can make more at McDonalds. Stupid!

24. robjenkins - June 25, 2010 at 04:34 pm

Yes, jimauburn, I am encouraging people to be adjuncts--unashamedly, I might add. For someone who wants a full-time teaching position at a community college, working as an adjunct is a much better resume enhancer than flipping burgers. No offense to my friends at Mickey D's, where I once worked myself. (Didn't put it on my resume, though.)

25. gfrasz - June 28, 2010 at 03:09 pm

I would also add that the applicant convey that even though he would be teaching fully online he has worked out reliable ways for students and administrators to contact him during AND after the semester. I would further add that the applicant convey that he is not going to try and teach more than a typical full time load each semester. Some schools are wary of online instructors who seek to maximize teaching loads with 20 or 30 credit hrs of classroom time per semester. Further more indicate that the applicant is more than willing to use the assigned textbooks from the department and will not have students use his own favorite book (bought on Amazon).

26. lonsdale26 - July 02, 2010 at 02:31 pm

How sad it is that anyone who questions the purpose of repeating the same job-seeking platitudes gets automatically labelled as "bitter." And, as someone who teaches argumentation, it is equally disappointing to see my points dismissed by the lazy "you just don't understand the issue, because, if you did, you'd agree with me" counter argument.

The second one first: Of the numerous T-T contracts I have studied over the years, all included clauses about doing student advising, serving on curriculum committees, and all sorts of other professional obligations. Yes, I am well aware that those are the standard duties of the average T-T faculty in my field, and I look forward to having the opportunity to perform more of them in the future, given the chance. T-T faculty ARE compensated for those activities with their (middle-class) salaries, health insurance, retirement plans, other assorted benefits, and job security. I have never seen an adjunct contract that includes mention of -- much less compensation for -- such duties.

Therefore, expecting adjuncts to perform these duties is as unfair and potentially illegal as expecting the university's gardeners, janitors, or food service workers (who, like many adjuncts, are HOURLY employees who can be let go at any time) to work off the books.

Like many other adjuncts, I perform these non-teaching duties for free all the time (and I perform them quite well and with a song in my heart, I might add), but I am no longer under the delusion that this makes me a more eligible candidate for a permanent position. Come hiring time, community colleges are just as likely to hire someone straight out of graduate school as someone who has been working there conscientiously for years. My previous comment said exactly that, and only that: we need to stop perpetuating the lie that going the extra mile means anything when it comes to hiring full-time faculty.

The first point second: it may be true that "complaining" about doing extra work guarantees that I will not get a permanent position. No institution -- corporation, non-profit, university -- enjoys having its own labor inequities pointed out. However, by the same logic, putting blinders on likewise guarantees that our current system will never make the changes it desperately needs to make if we want to keep the most qualified faculty.

27. robjenkins - July 02, 2010 at 03:43 pm

lonsdale26:

I didn't say adjuncts should be "expected" to do extra work; I suggested that they volunteer for those assignments, when they can. Surely, as someone who teaches argumentation, you can see the difference.

Moreover, most of the best T-T faculty members I've known--the ones who win awards, who go on to become administrators, etc.--are serial volunteers. Advising a student club is not a job requirement. Nor is covering a class while a colleague is at a conference. Or signing up for an additional advising slot because a colleague is sick and people are needed to cover.

All I'm saying is that the most successful people in any field or walk of life are generally those who are willing to (forgive the cliche') go the extra mile. I don't see why that should be any different for part-time college faculty members.

28. elegantmistake - July 02, 2010 at 05:34 pm

I dissagree with much of this article. If Mr. Jenkins is correct, and the best way to get hired is to act like a professional while being paid and treated like a migrant worker, then the discussion should be about how the situation can be improved not how to prolong the inequality.

The community colleges in my area have no problem dropping ten to twenty million dollars for renovations. And you say I should be willing to do their work for them...FOR FREE? Dude, I am a human being for chrissake!

29. elegantmistake - July 02, 2010 at 05:35 pm

Oh dang. I spelled disagree wrong. Sorry.

30. robjenkins - July 04, 2010 at 04:56 pm

Elegantmistake:

So you disagree with me about . . . what, exactly? How to land a tenure-track job? I'm sure readers would be interested to hear your alternative suggestions.

31. footbook - July 05, 2010 at 04:42 am

<Comment removed by moderator>

32. dochawkeye06 - July 06, 2010 at 10:23 am

So I've been doing all this stuff for three years now - adjunct teaching at a community college in a pretty wide range of courses (last year I taught 4, the maximum allowable by adjuncts under state law), I work as a professional in my field (music) outside of school which forces me to keep up on literature, I serve on committees (I even vice-chaired one), I volunteer for non-school related charity. My students do well, I get top-notch evaluations from students and administrators. I send out resumes and I don't get called for interviews, so I don't know what is wrong. Anyone willing to take a look at my application materials and give me some advice?

33. robjenkins - July 06, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Sure, dochawkeye06. Feel free to send them to me at robin.jenkins@gpc.edu.

34. roli7141 - July 18, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Rob,

I just wanted to extend a very belated "thank you!" for your articles. Six years ago I had never considered teaching at a CC. After leaving a temporary assistant professor gig in a very political and ego-ridden department in a state university in the southeast, I was completely disillusioned with higher ed. It was only after reading a couple of your articles that I realized I might be a good fit for a CC, and that I needed to take a specific approach in applying.

Long story short, I've gone from new hire to full professor in the past six years at a wonderful CC that's more like a quirky family - and that includes our students! I can't imagine working anywhere else.

I realize the economy is much tougher now than when I applied, but your advice (here and in previous articles) on how to make yourself a better "fit" certainly rings true at my CC. We don't care about your doctoral research. Many of us left behind Ph.D.'s or are jumping through the hoops of a dissertation now, and we know how little it usually applies to our actual teaching (YMMV). We want to hear "you" more than "I" in interviews. I made sure to focus on the college and its mission, the service area, the student demographic and even the workforce services/continuing education unit. Sure I talked about my qualifications and interests, but in the context of the college. That may seem like a no-brainer to some, but having served on several search committees now, there's always at least one applicant who seems smart and capable but "didn't say much about US, did he?". Don't be generic! That advice (from your article) opened a lot of doors for me in consulting as well.

Also, at least in my department, the local "shoe in" we assume we'll hire, doesn't always do the best job in the presentation or the interview. I'm glad to say we're fair in our hiring and don't care where they're from, what they look like or how old they are. If they give the best teaching presentation (meaning they also obviously enjoy teaching) and interview (by that time most of the applications look about the same) then we hire them. This is part my department's (and for the most part my college's) non-competitive culture and our intolerance for politics and backstabbing. Everyone from the maintenance guys to our president knows everyone, and is on a first-name basis.

I can't comment on how it is at other schools, but my CC experience is a radical departure from my first teaching job. :) Thanks!

If I can just reiterate one piece of advice: research the CC and talk about it and the department IN YOUR COVER LETTER! When we have to read 50 applications for 1 position, once we weed out the ones who don't qualify, the ones with generic cover letters get tossed on the "if we can't find anyone else" pile. Your cover letter can seem like a firm handshake or a slap in the face. Figure out which you wish to extend.

Oh and one more! If you intend to advance and will need more graduate credit or even a Ph.D., research the offerings in the area! If the closest graduate school with a degree program in your area is 2 hours away, or doesn't allow for part-time study, then your options for advancement may be limited! We know that, so you should, too. ;)

Good luck to everyone in the job search!